Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Choosing a premium 35mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Choosing a premium 35mm Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about getting a good and fast 35mm for my Sony a7. Not necessarily a resolution chart winner or a super corrected lens. It needs to have good bokeh (no onion ring or distracting shapes), not too heavy. And some 3d-pop.

So far I'm thinking one of the following:

Carl Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/2 ZE/ZF/ZK.
Minolta MD 35mm f/1.8
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D

Maybe Vivitar 35mm f/1.9

Should I add or remove any from the shortlist?

I have looked at photos taken with Leica and Voigtländer but not been convinced yet.

It would be interesting to hear if you have any favorite that fits the specifications.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fast 35mm f2 from 7Artisans that is getting good reviews and feedback.
T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Minolta MD 35mm f/1.8, very good on A7 or A7R2. The 7Artisans 35mm f/2.0 seems working well on my A7R2 but I have not find a time to test it. The Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 work well on my Nex 5N but I don't have a copy now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinon EBC 35mm f/1.9 ... bought my screw-mount version in the '80's and have never considered replacing it Wink

Good luck in finding one ... they're not common!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the Voigtlander 35mm F1.7 Ultron Aspherical? The original in LTM is not as sharp or high in contrast as the newer models in M-mount, but I think the background is a bit smoother. The M-mount version does however seem to solve the original's major flaw: backlighting flare.
LTM: https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/05/31/friday-film-the-voigtlander-ultron-35mm-f1-7-aspherical-the-secret-little-gem-by-mattia-giovanni/
http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-35mm-f1-7-ultron-ltm-t72546.html

M-mount: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/voigtlander-ultron-11-7-35-mm-review/

They sell for about the same price from what I have seen, sometimes the M-mount, despite being newer and generally better, sells for less. The LTM suffers from balsam separation as a super fine haze, so just beware.

There are of course many newer Voigtlander 35mm lenses since then, but I'm not sure how much you would like to spend. The Voigtlander 35mm F2 Vintage seems like a real gem! These are all aspherical but not showing any onion-ring bokeh.

Since you have considered the Vivitar, I will suggest the older Minolta MC 35mm F1.8. Maybe more heavy than the MD 35s (and there are different optical versions) but nicely built, especially smooth after re-lubricating the focus ring.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax-M SMC 2/35 is often forgotten but really among best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CZJ Flektogon 35mm 1:2.4 Is really a very good lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Mir-24N 35/2?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
There is a fast 35mm f2 from 7Artisans that is getting good reviews and feedback.
T

I'll look into this lens. It's said in a review that it's based on a Sonnar design. That is not my favorite design but I need to do more research on this one.

calvin83 wrote:
I have Minolta MD 35mm f/1.8, very good on A7 or A7R2. The 7Artisans 35mm f/2.0 seems working well on my A7R2 but I have not find a time to test it. The Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 work well on my Nex 5N but I don't have a copy now.

The Minolta samples online are looking really good, same with the Vivitar but I'm not sure how it holds up to the Minolta stopped down.

kypfer wrote:
Fujinon EBC 35mm f/1.9 ... bought my screw-mount version in the '80's and have never considered replacing it Wink

Good luck in finding one ... they're not common!

Thanks! I forgot about this one. The few samples found online indicated that this would be an alternative. But I've never seen one for sale!
I did find a rare EBC 100mm 2.8 however so you never know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar will not match the Minolta in sharpness, no matter it is stopped or WO.

The Loxia may be a good choice too if you can afford it. A used one can be found for ~$500 on eBay.
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-loxia-biogon-35mm-f2-0-on-a7r-ii-t81099,highlight,%2Bloxia.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canon FL 35mm f2.5 which I use on a crop sensor. A beautiful lens, sharp, contrasty and I love the rendering.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
Have you considered the Voigtlander 35mm F1.7 Ultron Aspherical? The original in LTM is not as sharp or high in contrast as the newer models in M-mount, but I think the background is a bit smoother. The M-mount version does however seem to solve the original's major flaw: backlighting flare.
LTM: https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/05/31/friday-film-the-voigtlander-ultron-35mm-f1-7-aspherical-the-secret-little-gem-by-mattia-giovanni/
http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-35mm-f1-7-ultron-ltm-t72546.html

M-mount: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/voigtlander-ultron-11-7-35-mm-review/

They sell for about the same price from what I have seen, sometimes the M-mount, despite being newer and generally better, sells for less. The LTM suffers from balsam separation as a super fine haze, so just beware.

There are of course many newer Voigtlander 35mm lenses since then, but I'm not sure how much you would like to spend. The Voigtlander 35mm F2 Vintage seems like a real gem! These are all aspherical but not showing any onion-ring bokeh.

Since you have considered the Vivitar, I will suggest the older Minolta MC 35mm F1.8. Maybe more heavy than the MD 35s (and there are different optical versions) but nicely built, especially smooth after re-lubricating the focus ring.

Yes I have looked at the Ultron 35mm 1.7 but did not know about the different version and potential issues, thanks for sharing. My general judgement of its image quality is that special enough to consider at this point. But it may change if I com across new samples.

I am also a bit hesitant to buy a rangefinder lens but if it has no issue on my camera then it's ok. And it can be a bit expensive if it's high end.

The look from the Nokton 35mm f/1.4 is to my liking though, as is the compact size. The Ultron 35mm f2 has flown under my radar, thanks will check it out.
Yes the older Minolta isn't excluded, more research is needed on it too.

Pancolart wrote:
Pentax-M SMC 2/35 is often forgotten but really among best.

Will take a look thanks. Does this one have yellow glass?

This is a really good comparison and review but he has the an older version without M in the name and it's radioactive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrjwRUi3jfQ

D1N0 wrote:
The CZJ Flektogon 35mm 1:2.4 Is really a very good lens.

This one I really want too but to me it fits in another category with 2.8 lenses.

BurstMox wrote:
What about Mir-24N 35/2?

Yes I have looked at it and found the bokeh distracting towards the edges on some samples but not on others. Maybe it only happens on fullframe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I have a Canon FL 35mm f2.5 which I use on a crop sensor. A beautiful lens, sharp, contrasty and I love the rendering.

Yes looks like a good vintage look. A bit distracting bokeh but not in a bad way. I almost bought a Curtagon 35mm 2.8 for that reason. But what I'm after now is at least f/2.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C/Y distagon 35mm 1.4.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why f2? That discounts a lot of superb lenses. I'd go for the Flektogon 2.4/35 or the Prakticar version, best price vs performance.

The Fujinon-TV 1.7/35 is a stunning lens and dirt cheap but I am not sure it covers FF.

The Canon FL 2.5/35 has a lot of character, if you want character and a vintage rendering it would be a good choice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Why f2? That discounts a lot of superb lenses. I'd go for the Flektogon 2.4/35 or the Prakticar version, best price vs performance.

The Fujinon-TV 1.7/35 is a stunning lens and dirt cheap but I am not sure it covers FF.

The Canon FL 2.5/35 has a lot of character, if you want character and a vintage rendering it would be a good choice.

I already have a few "slower" lenses that in reality cover all of my needs including a Minolta MC and MD 35mm 2.8, Zuiko 35mm 2.8, Fujinon 35mm 2.8, Fujinon 35mm 3.5, Hexanon 35mm 2.8.
But that being said I do also want to try a Flektogon or Prakticar. But I imagine those are closer in character to what I have and a "fast" 35mm is new territory. Maybe I will like the slower lenses better but that remains to be seen.

Last edited by blotafton on Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
C/Y distagon 35mm 1.4.

Very tempting yes. If I go the Zeiss route the question is that lens or the Distagon 35mm f/2. They are close in temptation level.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with Edgar and Ian about the Canon FL 35/2.5. I've used one for about 35 years, and I love it. Mine has great edge-to-edge sharpness on a full frame camera. The color and contrast is hard to beat as well.

I also own a Vivitar 35/1.9. It is a very impressive little lens. I've only used mine with a crop-body digital so far, but it has delivered very sharp images.

Lastly, a fast lens definitely worth considering is the Nikon 35mm f/1.4. I owned a pre-AI one that had been AI'd by Nikon years ago, and it was a rather unique lens. Fastest 35mm I've ever used.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I already have a few "slower" lenses that in reality cover all of my needs including a Minolta MC and MD 35mm 2.8, Zuiko 35mm 2.8, Fujinon 35mm 2.8, Fujinon 35mm 3.5, Hexanon 35mm 2.8.
But that being said I do also want to try a Flektogon or Prakticar. But I imagine those are closer in character to what I have and a "fast" 35mm is new territory. Maybe I will like the slower lenses better but that remains to be seen.

You won't find much that is better than the Hexanon 2.8/35 imho, it is a special lens, renders beautifully, has 3D pop, I love it. The Zuiko 2.8/35 is fantastic too, so I think you will be able to find a faster lens, but not necessarily qualitatively better than what you already have.

Good luck on your search, and let us know what you find!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'll update the thread when I get the lens. But it will probably take a while.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica M 35/2 and 35/1,4 any version.
Leica R 35/1,4.
Something cheaper?
Summaron 35/2,8 W/O eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Choosing a premium 35mm Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Hi everyone. I've been thinking about getting a good and fast 35mm for my Sony a7. Not necessarily a resolution chart winner or a super corrected lens. It needs to have good bokeh (no onion ring or distracting shapes), not too heavy. And some 3d-pop.

Minolta MD 35mm f/1.8
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D

Maybe Vivitar 35mm f/1.9

I have looked at photos taken with Leica and Voigtländer but not been convinced yet.

It would be interesting to hear if you have any favorite that fits the specifications.

If you are considering the Distagon, then you might also look for an SMC Pentax 2/35 (the Hollywood lens)
Although the Zeiss might be cheaper
T

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The Loxia may be a good choice too if you can afford it. A used one can be found for ~$500 on eBay.
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-loxia-biogon-35mm-f2-0-on-a7r-ii-t81099,highlight,%2Bloxia.html

I don't recommend Loxia 35. At portrait distances, I found its blurring quite unnerving and its open diaphragm is soft.

The rendering looks good, the corners are crap. Yasuhara Anthy 35mm F1.8
https://sonyalpha.blog/2019/12/06/yasuhara-anthy-35mm-f1-8/
https://alikgriffin.com/yasuhara-anthy-35mm-f1-8-review-sample-photos/

F1.8, Yasuhara Anthy 35mm F1.8- ISO 320-1-250 s 088 by https://SonyAlpha.blog, on Flickr

F1.8, Yasuhara Anthy 35mm F1.8- ISO 320-1-250 s 087 by https://SonyAlpha.blog, on Flickr

p/s See the comments on the review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_alPbj6GJA&feature=emb_logo[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find the Loxia is soft at WO, but it does require stop down to make it sharper.

The Minolta MD 35/1.8 won't perform as good as modern lenses. However, I think it is one of the better choice if you find one in good price. I found mine for ~$100 on eBay many years ago.
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-md-w-rokkor-x-35mm-f1-8-on-sony-a7-t73617.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Choosing a premium 35mm Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Minolta MD 35mm f/1.8
AF Nikkor 35mm f/2 D

Maybe Vivitar 35mm f/1.9

If you are considering the Distagon, then you might also look for an SMC Pentax 2/35 (the Hollywood lens)
Although the Zeiss might be cheaper
T

The 2/35 is NOT the "Hollywood". You seem not very knowledgeable.
It's the 2/28.