Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MTO 1000 mirror lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: MTO 1000 mirror lens Reply with quote

Hi folks

Had this early example quite a while and only just got round to trying it.

I can't get a sharp image from it, at infinity, all you get is a blur, no image at all.

It has an M42 mount, but clearly the FFD is not the usual M42 one.

It should focus at 10m at it's closest, but the only time it forms something of an image, albeit a soft one, is at about 5m.

Anyone got any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a common problem, I'm starting to believe that some lenses were calibrated for telescope devices, others for camera use.

Anyway, do you have a photo of the rear part (mount, rear lens, etc...)?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pierre, I shall go and take one. It's a brass piece with six retaining screws, looks original.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the bad photo, it is dark here, i can make a better one in daylight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is: point the lens without the camera at the sun and see if you can focus the sun on a sheet of white paper. If the lens was designed to perform as a photographic lens, you should be able to achieve perfect focus when the sheet of paper is at certain distance from the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's definitely a photographic lens, I can take photos with it, just can't get them to be in focus apart from things about 5m away with the lens focused to it's nearest setting which is marked as 10m. That would suggest the lens is too far away from the sensor but at all other focus settings on the lens I just get a blur.

I'll take it out tomorrow and make some test shots with the lens at different focal settings so you can see what I'm trying to describe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised the test shots I already made were still in the rubbish bin on my PC so I restored them.

This is with the lens at infinity, the target was 150m away.

This is with the lens at 10m, the target was about 5m away, looks like it would have been fairly sharp if it wasn't for camera shake.