Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor f2 45mmon A7r3 First Tryout
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Minolta Rokkor f2 45mmon A7r3 First Tryout Reply with quote

The lens was sold as "Sony E mount adapted" which just meant that it came with an MD-NEX adapter, which is fine with me.

This was at f11 and with two bounced flash. It was considerably unexposed, even at ISO 800. So there was a lost of noise to be removed. I shot at about 20 feet from the facing wall.

I am very new to processing images from this camera and the lens arrived only today, so I should be able to do better.

Crop:

Last edited by e6filmuser on Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:10 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a guess that it is a Minolta Rokkor. It's good compact lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

produces shockingly sharp results at f2, all things considered

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rokkor 45 / 2 is a great lens, mine is currently sitting on a bellows set up for slide copying. I tried a few other lenses, but the 45 is by far the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens, but it has single coated. So I think that the MD 50/2 can be better.

What do you think about?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I had this lens, but it has single coated. So I think that the MD 50/2 can be better.

What do you think about?

It certainly looks multicoated to me, just not as much as the other standard lenses and it may not have been necessary.
Only some of (not all) the Celtic lenses appear to have a single layer (amber or deep blue or light or deep purple can all indicate this).

That said, I find flare performance has far more to do with the optical layout and barrel design than the coatings. Some Minolta lenses flare and ghost terribly and no amount of multicoating could save them. Plano-convex/plano-concave elements and other weakly-curved surfaces will be far more problematic for flaring compared to the same lenses with highly curved surfaces.

Often people will ask in other forums "Do the Pentax SMC lenses flare?" knowing how advanced the coating is compared to others, and if the sun is intruding, then always yes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has amber colour at the front and purple/blue deep inside.

The serial number is 2132003.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

Yes. It was sold as "Mamiya" but it says "Minolta" on the lens.

I have edited the title.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
papasito wrote:

What do you think about?

It certainly looks multicoated to me, just not as much as the other standard lenses and it may not have been necessary.
Only some of (not all) the Celtic lenses appear to have a single layer (amber or deep blue or light or deep purple can all indicate this).

That said, I find flare performance has far more to do with the optical layout and barrel design than the coatings. Some Minolta lenses flare and ghost terribly and no amount of multicoating could save them. Plano-convex/plano-concave elements and other weakly-curved surfaces will be far more problematic for flaring compared to the same lenses with highly curved surfaces.

Often people will ask in other forums "Do the Pentax SMC lenses flare?" knowing how advanced the coating is compared to others, and if the sun is intruding, then always yes.

The md rokkor 45/2 is single coated. Minolta said that in the user manual of the XG series cameras.
My XG 9 Manual did it.

Please see pag. 49 in minolta XG9 manual at butkus.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Teemō wrote:
papasito wrote:

What do you think about?

The md rokkor 45/2 is single coated. Minolta said that in the user manual of the XG series cameras.
My XG 9 Manual did it.

So it is, you're right. And now that I look at it, it's quite reflective compared to other lenses. Checking listings on the net, I do see some appear to have an amber reflection while others have a purple/magenta reflection, but the coatings were changing all the time. It's curious anyway, since the lens has the same number of reflection surfaces as the 50mm lenses.

How does it actually compare to other lenses in terms of flare and contrast? I always thought the images from it had a high contrast but it could be the lack of spherical aberration that is doing the trick. I wonder what the effective T-stop of the lens is too, but probably not any worse than the other 50's if there is a lack of vignetting from it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

My XG 9 Manual did it.

That's a surprising information. I just have checked my MD 2/45mm and the contemporary MD 1.7/50mm and MD 1.2/50mm lenses. Both my 2/45mm and 1.7/50mm have the same combination of blueish, amber and greenish-yellow coatings. There's no difference visible whatsoever. The MD 1.2/50mm has some intensely green coatings together with the ordinary blueish & amber stuff.

The XG-9 manual at Butkus obviously is a US manual. The US were (and are) quite price sensitive; therefore Minolta was offering the (single coated) "Celtic" series. Maybe the US MD 2/45mm had a different coating than the European MD 2/45mm ?!?

S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three Minolta 2/45s, the coatings look different on all three.

A great lens, the rendering is lovely, the bokeh is beautiful, very smooth and not distracting and it's sharp enough at all apertures.

I much prefer it to both the Tessar 2.8/45 and the Hexanon 1.8/40.

BTW, the Minolta 45 and the Hexanon 40 are the same focal length - 43.2mm, just one company rounded up and one rounded down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
papasito wrote:

My XG 9 Manual did it.

That's a surprising information. I just have checked my MD 2/45mm and the contemporary MD 1.7/50mm and MD 1.2/50mm lenses. Both my 2/45mm and 1.7/50mm have the same combination of blueish, amber and greenish-yellow coatings. There's no difference visible whatsoever. The MD 1.2/50mm has some intensely green coatings together with the ordinary blueish & amber stuff.

The XG-9 manual at Butkus obviously is a US manual. The US were (and are) quite price sensitive; therefore Minolta was offering the (single coated) "Celtic" series. Maybe the US MD 2/45mm had a different coating than the European MD 2/45mm ?!?

S

Perhaps not so surprising if you remember that this lens was the economical normal lens of this time.

The MD Rokkjor 50/1,7 have reputed like a better lens with more sharpness and better contrast. The plane MD even more, I guess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I much prefer it to both the Tessar 2.8/45 and the Hexanon 1.8/40.

BTW, the Minolta 45 and the Hexanon 40 are the same focal length

i wonder if they also rounded the max aperture, would be funny if they're essentially equivalent lenses (i've both, never thought to compare them directly)