Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 100x-c Comparator lens tested on canon 6D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Nikon 100x-c Comparator lens tested on canon 6D Reply with quote

with bellows and macro rail this is what we achieve
10s timer, and corrected for exposure.. @ISO 640 to make the shutter a little faster...

#1 ground black pepper - full frame

#2 moth wing scales

#3 moth wing scales different area

#4 moth wing scales different area

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a very capable lens.

You can try Helicon Focus or Zerene Stacker for focus stacking to get more depth of field. Photoshop will do it too, but it's a little more complex.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your camera have EFSC/EFCS? I'm seeing blurring that may be due to shutter shake. What mode are you using?

The lens seems to have some CA but it's hard to tell with the subject/lighting as it could just be natural colorations.

Do you have any way to determine magnification, like maybe a ruler with fine graduations, or better yet a microscope calibrator?

I've often thought of buying one of these lenses but they seem difficult to integrate into a photomacrography system. Nice to see some results from the 100x. There are a range of lenses for different mags.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
Does your camera have EFSC/EFCS? I'm seeing blurring that may be due to shutter shake. What mode are you using?

The lens seems to have some CA but it's hard to tell with the subject/lighting as it could just be natural colorations.

Do you have any way to determine magnification, like maybe a ruler with fine graduations, or better yet a microscope calibrator?

I've often thought of buying one of these lenses but they seem difficult to integrate into a photomacrography system. Nice to see some results from the 100x. There are a range of lenses for different mags.

What is EFSC? what do you mean?
It does show some light green/magenta on the OOF areas.

here is a full frame shot of a good quality calipers
you can see the edges are not filled by this lens, ever so slightly.
1 millimetre (shot with bellows half extended.)

#1 magnification should be about 36:1

my setup

#1 lens is centered and sitting flush inside the mount. ive covered all possible cracks for light to enter with sticky Alum

#2 this screw fixes it firmly in place. the bellows are USSR made model with removable m42 mount on front and rear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFSC is "Electronic First Shutter Curtain". In normal operation the exposure sequence is:

Press Shutter Release
Mirror lifts
Shutter opens
Exposure
Shutter closes
Mirror drops

This sequence is quite bad for image sharpness due to the vibration caused primarily by the mirror ("mirror slap") and secondarily by the shutter ("shutter shake"). Using Mirror Up or similar can eliminate mirror slap but shutter shake is still a big problem, especially in macro magnifications.

Many cameras (most recent Nikons and Canons, for example) have Live View, which is effectively mirror up. Most Nikon cameras when in Live View have the following exposure sequence:

Press Shutter Release
Shutter closes
Shutter opens
Exposure
Shutter closes
Mirror drops
Mirror lifts
Shutter opens

This sequence eliminates mirror slap, but closing then opening the shutter right before exposure causes some vibration that can blur your pictures. Canon cameras have a slightly different exposure sequence when in Live View:

Press Shutter Release
Sensor sites are electronically emptied
Exposure
Shutter closes
Mirror drops
Mirror lifts
Shutter opens

The electronic quenching of the sensor sites allows these cameras to have no mechanical mirror or shutter activity just prior or during exposure, so the resulting images won't be subject to the vibration these actions cause.

Your 6D may automatically activate EFSC when in Live View similar to a Rebel model, or you may need to select that mode manually. It may be called "quiet" mode or similar, or perhaps it is more explicit, I don't know. Your ~30x image looks pretty good so it may be that EFSC is active. If not, then it could be even better.

Are you using flash or continuous lighting?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you got it I will check.
and yes im using continues light