Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75 F1.5 V2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75 F1.5 V2 Reply with quote

Hi i am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I came across the Biotar 75 Version 2 earlier today, the outter barrel has some interesting engraving.

Can the experts here help decipher what this means? Is it made for for the military? Special lot?
Curious if it has specific meaning.

THX!

Last edited by Matcha on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75 F1.5 V2 Reply with quote

Matcha wrote:
Hi i am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I came across the Biotar 75 Version 2 earlier today, the outter barrel has some interesting engraving.

Can the experts here help decipher what this means? Is it made for for the military? Special lot?
Curious if it has specific meaning.

THX!

Quoting. You need another post to display images...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

would it be possible to see the serial number of this fine lens?

Thank you in advance,

E.L.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Matcha! Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar Lang wrote:
Hello,

would it be possible to see the serial number of this fine lens?

Thank you in advance,

E.L.

Matcha shared two photos in the original post, but I'm seeing just one picture in ylyad's quote of Matcha.
So I'm quoting Matcha again to show the other photo - which includes the serial number (3321345):

Matcha wrote:
. . .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago i've been reading about lenses belonging to the manufacturer (either Zeiss or Leitz, i can't remember). Their engraving was similar, as far as i can remember.

"C.Z." could well mean "Carl Zeiss".

S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Turtle here Matcha!

This seems to have been a selected lens for the Quality Department of Zeiss Jena ("St. O" = "Standard Objektiv")
internally used to define the CZJ quality standard, other production lenses were tested against.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, an exceptional copy of an already very valuable lens. Excellent find!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exceptional perhaps only due to its usage.

Many copies were compared to it, some were better, some worse. Maybe it was chosen as the best lens from a batch with which to compare many others, maybe not. Maybe this lens had stricter manufacturing tolerances than production batches, maybe not. It cannot be said with certainty this lens is better than all of the others, or indeed, any of them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Many copies were compared to it, some were better, some worse. Maybe it was chosen as the best lens from a batch with which to compare many others, maybe not. Maybe this lens had stricter manufacturing tolerances than production batches, maybe not. It cannot be said with certainty this lens is better than all of the others, or indeed, any of them.

Usually those lenses had been hand selected out of many produced ones, to closely match the design data. Not necessarily "the overall best performing" but the one(s) which actually matched the DESIGN DATA best! Quite a difference actually Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

This seems to have been a selected lens for the Quality Department of Zeiss Jena ("St. O" = "Standard Objektiv")

More likely to be "Carl Zeiss-Stiftung" (Carl Zeiss Foundation, the name of the parent company from 1889 to this day) "O-something" (maybe "Objektiv" indeed)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting lens, I'd contact Zeiss and ask if they have any info about it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Usually those lenses had been hand selected out of many produced ones, to closely match the design data. Not necessarily "the overall best performing" but the one(s) which actually matched the DESIGN DATA best! Quite a difference actually Wink

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
kds315* wrote:

More likely to be "Carl Zeiss-Stiftung" (Carl Zeiss Foundation, the name of the parent company from 1889 to this day) "O-something" (maybe "Objektiv" indeed)

Nope, the Carl Zeiss Foundation was never involved into producing lenses or optics, it is "just" a HOLDING Company ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holding_company