Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FL breech lock stuck
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Canon FL breech lock stuck Reply with quote

Hello!

This is my first post in this forum. I have read an learnt a lot from this forum, but now I have a specific question.

I just got a Canon FL 35mm f2.5 lens in good condition exept that the look mechanism is totally stuck in a, what I think is, an almost closed position but the lens is not mounted. It was like this when I got it. I have tried to push the little pin I have marked in the photo but that doesn't help, it's still stuck.
I don't know what to do next. Is it possible to open it up in any way and get the locking mechanism to work or is there a other way that anyone can with more experience with manual lenses than me can think of? SOme of the screws in the bottom are a little rusty to so I dont know if I am able to unscrew them without breaking them.

Hope you understand my question and all possible help is highly appreciated!

Thank you and keep safe!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Canon FL breech lock stuck Reply with quote

[/quote]

I had to quote myself to make the photo I uploaded show...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Shebulba.

I see you've already found some help at dpreview.com:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4546159

Have you solved it yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shebulba,

Your situation got me curious because one of the characteristics of FL lenses is they do not have a pin that needs to be depressed to move the breechlock ring.

But just to be sure, I dug out my FL 35mm f/2.5 (great lens by the way!) and examined it closely. Yep, the ring rotates freely, and nope, there is no pin. There is, however, a prominently placed screw down there which acts as a registration pin for mounting and dismounting the lens.

After a close look at your photo, it looks almost as if that screw has been damaged in your lens. But not only that, the breechlock ring should not have rotated that far counterclockwise to reveal that much of the pin from that section of the ring. I suspect somebody has forced the ring HARD counterclockwise, causing it to become jammed. Only solution I can recommend at this point is just to try and rotate the ring with some force clockwise.

FD breechlock lenses have one or two screws located on the knurled section of the ring that holds it onto the lens. When you undo the screw(s), you can then just unscrew the ring from that back of the lens. But FL lenses don't have these screws. I haven't tried removing the ring from my FL 35, but if I had to guess, I'd say that that large flat screw on the face of the ring allows for the same thing. You might try undoing this screw to see if that makes turning the ring any easier. At any rate, I'd recommend dismounting the ring so you can inspect for damage and/or repair as necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply! I have gotten some help also from DPreview forum.

The conclusion looks like that the flat screw on the silver ring need to be unscrewed. Problem is its rusty and won't undo... I will keep trying and hope I can get it loose sometime!

Thank you Smile