Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar 55mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 Reply with quote

recently I had asked opinions about the Rikenon 55mm f1.4 which I was told is a very good performer. I had lost the bid for it but two days ago run into a Super Takumar 55mm f1.8, of which member zewrak had posted very good photos in that other thread, for just 10 USD, so I had to get it.
Well, it is a bit yellow and it does have a bit of fungus on the outer areas..There also was a copy in perfect condition for 45 USD but I thought I get the cheap one as I have 2 other, more dear Takumars with fungus and thought this lens could make a good first piece I'd try to open and clean.

Now I am starting to think I'd better gotten the good copy...because the first photos taken with it look promising:
( and I can show off some more photos with the 'japanese theme' all taken yesterday at the Ikkyu-ji temple near Kyoto )

wide open

wide open

wide open

wide open

all taken on a Pentax *istDS, RAW converted with LR and some level adj. in PS.
I hope zewrak will add some oh his photos, and Peter ( padiej ) whio I know likes his recently bought Tak 55mm.

cheers,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just a superb display of a "Japanese theme", btw. We are talking real "National Geographic" here.

That is a must-have lens really, given the price. I've had one for thirty years, my "old reliable".

My Takumar 55/1.8 sample -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mice samples Andrea
send us more, you have such beautiful garden there

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful photos, nicely simplified and extracted!

I really like the 55/1.8 - I had the S-M-C briefly while I 'tested' it before giving it as a gift... Now I have an Auto, which I do like as well. Only I'm thinking that perhaps the S-M-C was a bit better with color.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Only I'm thinking that perhaps the S-M-C was a bit better with color.

And there is less than radiation. At me SMC was - radiation slightly was present, at Super, especially yellow speak a strong background. Therefore I have bought K55/1.8, at which with it everything is all right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!

I was searching for a super wide lense. And I found a tokina 17mm. This bidder affort the takumar 55mm too, all PK-Lenses, not M42.

After a deep breath, I risk all. I bid 200€ for the tokina and 100€ for the pentax-lens. I am crazy - sometimes, I know.

Then I catched the tokina for 101€ and the tak for 28€ - 15€ for shipping - the lens are in wonderfull condition with all caps and protector-glasses - a dream.

By trying the tak I was very surprised by the sharpness, the colours and the mechanic is superb, then it is a bigger lens then the M-Lenses from Pentax -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/padiej/2610562820/sizes/l/

This is a very underrated lens.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great lens, Tokina 17mm is a well known good lens. Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Peter! tokina sample is first class!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture is taken now with the TAKU 55 by f1,8 - I don´t sharp the picture
this is the basic-sharpness

best regards
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuuan - your samples are very good, I like the 3D Effekt by open aperture very much, the japanese Architecture does the rest, good views for an Austrian concrete and brick designer.

Luis - this is a wonderfull scene in the bus/train - a great catch with the moving flag
- now is the flagtime in Austria - the European Mastership in Soccer ends on Sunday

Germany - Spain

the best will win - I hope so, and not a mistake of the referee will decide the game

have a nice day
regards Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
That is just a superb display of a "Japanese theme", btw. We are talking real "National Geographic" here.

That is a must-have lens really, given the price. I've had one for thirty years, my "old reliable".

you have one for 30 years, wow!
I guess eventually I must get a good copy of it ( but the clear one they sold for over 50 USD )

but most of all, thank's a lot Luis, your judgement makes me very happy indeed!

I have not used my various 50mm Takumars that much yet, but I suspect that the 55 may be my favourite of all - that is, depending on the circumstances, but for daylight shooting, maybe also for portraits.

the S.M.C. Takumar 50mm f1.4 is great though of course, here some taken with it:

cheers,
Andreas

large pictures resized 29/08/08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamerer wrote:

And there is less than radiation. At me SMC was - radiation slightly was present, at Super, especially yellow speak a strong background. Therefore I have bought K55/1.8, at which with it everything is all right.

My experience is the opposite - both my Super and SMC 50/1.4's are radioactive, yellowed. Both 55's I've had - plus all the ones I've seen in person - have been clear. And I haven't seen the 55's included in lists of radioactive Taks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Kamerer wrote:

My experience is the opposite - both my Super and SMC 50/1.4's are radioactive, yellowed. Both 55's I've had - plus all the ones I've seen in person - have been clear. And I haven't seen the 55's included in lists of radioactive Taks.

judging from my copies it seemes to confirm what you say, Nesster:
first I thought my 55 was a bit yellow but now think that it actually is not, but both my Super Tak and SMC Tak 50mm are.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Beautiful photos, nicely simplified and extracted!

I really like the 55/1.8 - I had the S-M-C briefly while I 'tested' it before giving it as a gift... Now I have an Auto, which I do like as well. Only I'm thinking that perhaps the S-M-C was a bit better with color.

since I liked the Super Tak 55mm f1.8 that much, since it got a bit of fungus I could not resist and bought this beaten up looking but optically clean SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8 the other day.

Nesster you must be right about the colors, I love those of the SMC - though yours was the S.M.C., was it?

took some shots with it today:

Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you all are killing me with the 55mm photos and talk!!! Last week my daughter announced that from now on the Spotmatic with the auto-tak 55 was hers.

Yes, I'm proud.

But at the same time, I'm going to attempt to swap the 55 for one of my 50/1.4's. Or some other 50. This way I get to use the 55 again. Smile Twisted Evil

It is the Auto-Takumar, made around '62. I really do like it, there's a different flavor to images as compared to the supers and smc's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Oh you all are killing me with the 55mm photos and talk!!! Last week my daughter announced that from now on the Spotmatic with the auto-tak 55 was hers.

Yes, I'm proud.

But at the same time, I'm going to attempt to swap the 55 for one of my 50/1.4's. Or some other 50. This way I get to use the 55 again. Smile Twisted Evil

It is the Auto-Takumar, made around '62. I really do like it, there's a different flavor to images as compared to the supers and smc's.

nice reason to be proud Wink

and now you are killing me with curiosity about Auto-Taks!
any general talk abt. the Auto-Taks?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have not tried the autos yet. My first one will arrive monday the 85/1.8 Smile.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot of the kid in the bucket !

Where is that by the way ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Great shot of the kid in the bucket !

Where is that by the way ?

thank's Luis,
this is outside of Ubud in Bali, Indonesia