Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Takumar 135/2.5 v2 vs Mamiya Sekor SX 135/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: SMC Takumar 135/2.5 v2 vs Mamiya Sekor SX 135/2.8 Reply with quote

There are some rumors here and there on the internet that the Mamiya SX 135/2.8 is a great lens. After the necessary conversion to make it fit a normal M42 adapter, I decided to test it against the SMC Takumar 135/2.5 v2.

First, the whole picture.

Then, the 100% center crops:

Both lenses are both very sharp in the center, considering these are old lenses and this is a 42+ mp sensor.
Colors/ contrast are better from the Pentax, but probably nothing a little post processing couldn't fix.

Then, another picture to test the corners:

The 100% corner crops:

Both lenses perform pretty well. The Takumar is slightly more contrasty and sharper at wider apertures.

Then, the bokeh:

The Takumar has a 8 bladed aperture, whereas the Mamiya has 6 blades. But the bokeh octagons of the Takumar have sharper edges; the bokeh of the Mamiya is actually a bit softer. Lens test was done without a hood: the Mamiya seems to suffer a bit because of it, at least in some pictures.

Conclusion: the Takumar is the winner for me, but the Mamiya is close. The Mamiya 135/2.8 can be found quite cheap. I had mine in perfect condition from Japan for 56 €, shipping included. To use them on a M42 adapter, one has to do a little conversion (google Mamiya SX conversion).
[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing. Very nice job, as always you do

I can see the Takumar as the sharper and with more contrast.

But I'm sure that the veiling of the Mamiya should go out with a good shade. The images of the center will improve so much.

The Mamiya has warmer rendering and this can reduce the sensation of contrast and sharpness,

By the way, in the corner pics the Takumar presents more CA.

Mamiya's bokeh is softly, I like it more.

With white control, "+1" in the camera control of contrast and a good shade (perhaps useful anyway) using the Mamiya perhaps you don't need PP. But with the Takumar CA you must use PP to show a FF image.

I put my 2 cents for the lighter Mamiya using it at F/3,5 to F/5,6.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, you’re right about the CA!
And I will definitely do a contrast comparison again once i have a hood for the mamiya!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good test Like 1 . Thanks for putting it up. I'd agree, I'd like to see how the Mamiya compares with a hood fitted. Obviously a hood would be required on the other lens too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Good test Like 1 . Thanks for putting it up. I'd agree, I'd like to see how the Mamiya compares with a hood fitted. Obviously a hood would be required on the other lens too.

Yes, I have the original hood of the Pentax. I'll have too look in my drawer with hoods to see if I have a fitting one for the Mamiya 😊

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually just found out the Mamiya has a built in hood 😳😂😂

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Laugh 1

I've got the SMC Takumar 135 2.5 v2, and (speaking only for my particular copy and my tastes), I think it's a bit overrated. It's a very nice lens, but I've never warmed to its image characteristics.

Of course, I'll have to take it out shooting again now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Laugh 1

I've got the SMC Takumar 135 2.5 v2, and (speaking only for my particular copy and my tastes), I think it's a bit overrated. It's a very nice lens, but I've never warmed to its image characteristics.

IMHO, the range of quality differences in 135/2.8 lenses is far smaller than for other focal lengths.

Here we can see the highly rated 135/2.5 V2 slightly better performance.

Not a lot better, but clearly outstanding in the field. Hence the seemingly high rating for being a top lens at that speed.

The same tiny improvement difference is seen between these and the faster 135/2 lenses, even the more moderns wonders.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Well, at least you know you'll never have to look for one again Wink .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Laugh 1

IMHO, the range of quality differences in 135/2.8 lenses is far smaller than for other focal lengths.

Here we can see the highly rated 135/2.5 V2 slightly better performance.

Not a lot better, but clearly outstanding in the field. Hence the seemingly high rating for being a top lens at that speed.

The same tiny improvement difference is seen between these and the faster 135/2 lenses, even the more moderns wonders.

The build quality and buttery smooth mechanics of the Takumar add to the experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

The build quality and buttery smooth mechanics of the Takumar add to the experience.

Plus 1 on that.
Takumars are an absolute joy to use
T

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I did another test, this time with a third contestant, the Yashinon-R 135mm f/2.8. All lenses with a hood.

First how the picture is rendered by all three lenses (@f/5.6):

Then, the 100% crops, center and corner:

Sharpness and contrast already really good from the Takumar wide open, both in center and in corner.
@f/2.8 in the center, the Takumar shows best contrast, and possibly slightly more sharpness than the Mamiya.
The Takumar deals much better with reflections than the Mamiya. The Yashinon-R is awful.
Corner performance of the Takumar better than the Mamiya, with less chromatic aberrations. It seems that the focus point in the corners is somewhere else between the two lenses, which could explain the difference. The Yashinon-R remains awful at all apertures.

Conclusion: the Takumar is still my favourite. It's not a flawless lens. It can show quite some CA's under certain circumstances. But sharpness, colors and contrast are excellent already at @f/2.5 and the pictures always seem to 'pop'.