Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28mm for infrared on APS-H
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: 28mm for infrared on APS-H Reply with quote

Hi folks

Despite having a huge lens collection, I have rather few 28mm lenses that will fit my Canon EOS 1d mkII.

The best one I have currently is a Mamiya-Sekor SX 2.8/28, which is a very good lens, but has never impressed me much, good but uninspiring.

A 28mm Distagon is too expensive for my budget, the more modern Sigma DC 1.4/20 AF lens has bad corners on APS-H and is soft in the centre until f2.8, so not for me.

Canon EF 2.8/28 maybe? Although my experience of Canon EF lenses has been uniformly negative.

I need a lens that gives clean, crisp IR images with no hotspot, sharp to the corners at f8 and would prefer an AF lens if possible.

Suggestions?

Current front runners are the OM Zuiko 2.8/8 and Nikkor 3.5/28.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax 28mm f/3.5.
Not the ‘M’ version, but its predecessor (often referred to as ‘K’ series).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of lenses to use and to avoid concerning the Hot Spot.

https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Here is a list of lenses to use and to avoid concerning the Hot Spot.

https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/

Like 1 Like 1 Thank you!

Have to laugh " Asahi 55 mm f/1.8 Super-Takumar SMC" is listed Good Performr. I wonder which of 29 variations?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, but that list is a bit wierd. It lists several lenses I have used with great success for Ir as having hotspots, such as the non-AI Nikkor 2.8/24.

I suppose it's a case of having to try a lens for myself at it seems different cameras and different replacement filters all affect the presence of a hotspot or not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers, but that list is a bit wierd. It lists several lenses I have used with great success for Ir as having hotspots, such as the non-AI Nikkor 2.8/24.

Yeah, there seem to be some errors in the above mentioned Kolari list,... e. g. the Minolta AF 2/100mm works flawlessly on my 720nm converted Sony A100 (10 MP CCD APS-C sensor). And so does the Minolta AF 2.8/28mm, the 1.4/50mm and the 1.4/85mm.

Stephan