Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 14mm 1:2,8, decline and rebirth
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Samyang 14mm 1:2,8, decline and rebirth Reply with quote

Several years ago, in the midst of the DSLR era, I bought a Samyang 14mm 1:2.8. At that time I had the luck to have a nearby seller who had several samples, so I could choose the one with the most homogeneous rendering among the 4 corners of the image, it was not a perfect sample, but with a slight closure of diaphragm, allowed me to deliver excellent professional work, with the only care to correct the distortion through the Lightroom profile, which at the time had been made available by some private individuals, and today is implemented as standard in the SW.
An example of the quality I was used to see in this shot, which dates back 7 years ago:

Unfortunately, over time I noticed a deterioration in performance, to an unacceptable level. The following photo clearly shows that a very strong negative field curvature had developed, which allows a good sharpness to the objects at the edges of the photo if they are closer than the main focus plane, but creates a very marked blur on the distant ones

In the meantime, however, I had added to the full frame SLRs System several M43 or APS mirrorless oufits for which I had bought the respective lenses, so I didn't care much about this Samyang anymore. Recently, however, I switched to the Canon EOS R and I thought that the lens, if restored to working properly, would come in handy.
I completely disassembled the lens and I identified the problem, it is in practice a ring nut that with its rotation allows to control the distance between the optical groups, and that in the manufacturing process is fixed with simple enamel. Once I found the best position I blocked it in a safer way, and my 14 mm, as shown by this photo taken yesterday (an untouched in-camera JPG, just resized), is back to its original splendor.

Thanks for your attention

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Got to love an easy fix.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i bought my samyang 8/3,5, it can't reach infinity. then I searched on google, I found it. unscrew focusing ring, fixed. done.
So I think it's common for Samyang to defocus, but easy to fix.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
When i bought my samyang 8/3,5, it can't reach infinity. then I searched on google, I found it. unscrew focusing ring, fixed. done.
So I think it's common for Samyang to defocus, but easy to fix.

Yes, I had to do the same with my 14mm, while a 1:2,8 8mm did no give me any problem.

BTW, the issue of my 14 is a well known one, but nowhere, so far, I found a solution, I had to investigate by myself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you were able to solve your lens problem! Like 1 small
I remember when Canon introduced the EF 14mm F2.8 L USM lens in 1991, which I believe was the first lens in this category in the world. Until then, a rectilinear 15mm F3.5 lens was a dream of many photographers and only Nikon, Zeiss and Pentax had such lenses. To be more precise, Nikon had a very exotic 13mm F5.6 lens, but it was a lens so rare that at one time there was only one copy in the US! Only an elite of photographers could afford such lenses. Fortunately, this situation has changed in recent years and Samyang was one of the lens manufacturers that contributed most to making ultra wide-angle lenses more accessible to most photographers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
I remember when Canon introduced the EF 14mm F2.8 L USM lens in 1991, which I believe was the first lens in this category in the world.

There's also a nFD 2.8/14mm L (introduced in 1982). It is quite rare and thesess days often costs more than than its EF siblings.

S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
I remember when Canon introduced the EF 14mm F2.8 L USM lens in 1991, which I believe was the first lens in this category in the world. Until then, a rectilinear 15mm F3.5 lens was a dream of many photographers and only Nikon, Zeiss and Pentax had such lenses. To be more precise, Nikon had a very exotic 13mm F5.6 lens, but it was a lens so rare that at one time there was only one copy in the US! Only an elite of photographers could afford such lenses. Fortunately, this situation has changed in recent years and Samyang was one of the lens manufacturers that contributed most to making ultra wide-angle lenses more accessible to most photographers.

Well, Before this lens I owned/used a plethora of ultrawide lenses:

Sigma 12/24, Leica Super Elmar 15, Sigma 15/30, Sigma 14, Pentax 15, Voigt 12 and 15 early version, and last, but not least, the Canon EF itself. Some of these lenses served me for years, some were just tried and sold in a few days. I have to say that, beside the huge distortion, the Samyang is one of the sharper of the bunch. Today there are certainly better options, but my tastes are no longer so keen toward short focal length, and so I plan to spend in other things the (eventual) incoming money Laugh 1

NB
about early ultra-wide, let's no forget the Zeiss Hologon 1:8 15mm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this lens. Capable of very nice results indeed

I don't have problems with it's distortions as seen in the last picture.

RemcoR