Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena, made in japan under license
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:43 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena, made in japan under license Reply with quote

Bought my first Jena not knowing it was a copy (?) apparently made under license from japan.

Just wondering how legit this lens is, it looks good to me and has least some of the same colour characteristics as Jenas i've seen. Does anyone know the era and circumstances this licensing thing happened and whether it's considered a lesser version of DGR Fleks, MCs or whatever. Cheers

photos here:
https://imgur.com/a/HMBuU54

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like one made for the Praktica bayonet mount near the end of their production.
I think it was outsourced to Sigma, but others here will have a better idea
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be Cosina Serial number on the aperture ring is pretty typical for Cosina. This is my Vivitar 28mm/2.8 Cosina made (Serial starting with 9)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
My guess would be Cosina

Cosina for sure
Sigma was praktica main source outside ddr for pentacon lenses which did not exists in their ddr supplier's (Cz ..) range : ie 39/80 in m42 and later for the b series.35-70mm f/ 3.5-4.5 or 70-210mm f/ 4.0-5.6 ...
Cosina's carl zeiss jena where sold circa ~1986

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel, how goes that old saying "if you cannot write the name of what you have correctly, you're not worth to possess it...!

:LOL: I corrected ZIESS to ZEISS (I know, it is pronounced correctly then, but written wrong...) Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These CZJ "Made under license" lenses were also available in PK mount, if not others.
I remember there being various comments about them in the photographic press of the day, but I don't remember whether it was actually a CZJ design simply being produced in Japan (presumably purely for economic reasons) or if it was just the name that was "under license" and applied to a pre-existing Japanese design.
There have been several instances of "unused" manufacturers' names being re-applied to existing products, presumably in an effort to attract sales!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the worst lens I've ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two series of 'CZJ' lenses made in Japan, one are rebadged Sigmas, the other are rebadged Cosinas. The Sigmas are mostly medicore with a few stinkers, the Cosinas are mostly 'tres merde'...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Possibly the worst lens I've ever had.

will change when you dont use old lenses with tiny rear-lens on digital.