Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Som Berthiot Cinor 1.5/65, a city mood
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Som Berthiot Cinor 1.5/65, a city mood Reply with quote

Coming from a family of Som Berthiot projection lenses, this larger one is long enough to have marginal aberrations on Sony APS-C. Its 50mm relative gives a much more pronounced swirl from mid frame to the edges. Th 65mm one still has very dizzy corners which could be seen as a deadly fault or a moody feature, depending on photographer's intent.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting how the swirl and overall IQ differs depending on the scenery. Three other samples from this lens on Sony Nex.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pics for my taste. Do you have a pic of the lens? Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words!

I don't have the lens on tap right now. Here is a picture of an identic one from an ebay listing

I did not test it yet for portrait work, but it looks promissing for a possible old timer effect in BW or sepia.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those images look great - with your permission (and a suitable credit) I'd like to show them as example shots at www.deltalenses.com . Would that be OK - like this?
https://deltalenses.com/index.php/product/som-berthiot-cinor-65-1-6/
If you wanted to write a review, I'd be happy to post a link to your social media or website.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Fantastic! I really like the equestrian statue. The combination of lighting and edge swirl really makes that subject just jump out of the image at you. This is an example of why I frequent this site.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, fellows! I am glad you share the pleasure of viewing offered by this lens.

16:9, please use the sample shots in your encyclopedia which is a great project.

As for linking a page or a website, I think the best would be to link this page (site), as long as the main reason for all these images are made is the existence of this great site and its community. This way some interested persons could visit this page, may look through the site and mark it among useful and pleasant sources.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

This one got me Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spleenone, Klaus, thank you!

I find it interesting how the lens is capable to dematerialize material shapes, a kind of contrary to the most perfect and contrasty multicoated glass:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this lens cover FF? I've found one with a C mount adapter on it, but I'm not sure if ut would cover FF, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, is this the same lens that Bolex Beaulieu 16mm cameras are mounting?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Som Berthiot Cinor 1.5/65, a city mood Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

This one looks like it's straight out of an early color movie. What a moody lens! Happy Dog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Would this lens cover FF? I've found one with a C mount adapter on it, but I'm not sure if ut would cover FF, thanks

It almost covers FF, but with clearly cut corners.

Meanwhile the copy tested here is not a cine but a projection lens. If you have a chance to get a cine version for reasonable money, you may expect an even more interesting experience.

Bolex cameras were equipped with Kern, Berthiot and Angenieux lenses. The selection was pretty tight, in strive for image quality, so for a 16mm camera especially you may expect a top level glass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Som Berthiot Cinor 1.5/65, a city mood Reply with quote

Crazy Leica Fox wrote:

This one looks like it's straight out of an early color movie. What a moody lens! Happy Dog

Moody indeed!

In bright light on APS-C it shows fully its character, the sharp central part and fuzzy-swirly edges.