Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Camerz Axinon 90mm 4.5 on a7rii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Camerz Axinon 90mm 4.5 on a7rii Reply with quote

This lens came in a lot with 4 other 90mm 4.5 enlarger lenses. 2 each fuji es and vivitar. They all look to be unused. I am not sure but strongly suspect the Camerz is a rebranded Friedrich. The livery matches the others that I have seen and the Axinon name was definitely used by Friedrich. The thread on this lens are 35mm but NOT m39. Much finer. I used my macro setup with the minolta auto bellows iii and a minolta m42 adapter and some blue tak. If you are interested in macro I highly recommend the auto bellows iii. It has front movements both tilt and shift. It is extremely well made and a joy to use. First shot:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crisp one! Great shot. Have you done it WO?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that should be a Friedrich AXINON indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a taking lens, not an enlarging lens. Camerz made long roll cameras used by school photographers.

For those of you outside the US, our schools had, when I was in elementary school, may still have a "school picture" custom. Every spring a photographer with a long roll camera would come by and shoot portraits of every student. Parents who wanted to buy prints bought.

There were many vintages of long roll cameras. TLRs, SLRs, 70 mm, 35 mm. Camerz used Friedrich and Ilex lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I did read up on Camerz before bidding. I just assumed it was an enlarger lens as friedrich made an Axinon enlarger lens, and of course you could get enlargements of school photos. Do you think friedrich did a different calculation for this taking lens? I have been very impressed by the quality of the optics on all the Friedrich lenses I have tried. This was at f8, i was trying to get most of the flower into reasonable focus. It is nearly as sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. There was a time when the same prescription was used for taking and enlarging -- think of pre-WW II f/6.3 Tessars -- but I have no idea what Friedrich did.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks. I knew that in the "old" days it was common but I think this lens dates from the 60's or so. Anyway I am quite pleased with the results of my ~10 dollar investment. Photo Cornucopia has a Friedrich Axinon 90mm 4.5 listed as a 4 element ( which this seems to be as the elements on both ends just unscrew and don't seem complicated) but the mounting thread is a 27mm. I'm pretty sure these are 39mm by 0.75.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
OK thanks. I knew that in the "old" days it was common but I think this lens dates from the 60's or so.

Um, er, ah, not to quibble excessively but the old days ended no earlier than 1982 when Boyer closed. Their Saphir BX enlarging lenses and Zircon taking lenses were made to the same prescription. Their Topaz taking and lenses were made to the same prescription. This according to Eric Beltrando's trove of Boyer documentation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"old days"! LOL I remember those from Elementary School in 1960s. They were also used until 1980s in Sears & in Montgomery Wards stores with a whole department, a studio, for portrait-making.

I have 75-150mm 1:4.5 zoom for Camerz made by Tamron.

Camerz used medium format film iirc. The lenses should have big image circles. I almost bought one of the camera bodies, but went with Asahi Pentax 6x7 instead.