Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor (old style)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Nikon 500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor (old style) Reply with quote

Face it, Nikon users pretty much belonged to one of only two camps when it came to this lens, they either loved it or hated it. I counted myself definitely amongst the former. I really regret getting rid of mine but when I got my 600mm f/4 there was really no reason to keep it around any more. The finder was dark at f/8, especially on my Nikkormat FT3, but it focused very easily on the ground glass because the depth of field was so shallow and if there were any specular highlights, like catchlights in the eyes, they popped right into focus. You did have those out of focus "donuts" to deal with if there were a lot of specular highlights in the background. There were only a few in the image below, however I think the heat waves coming off the rocks and track distorted most of them somewhat, but the patch tool in PS can get rid of them in short order. But it was a very sharp lens, completely free of CA. It was also very light and compact for lens of that focal length and had a buttery smooth focusing action, which made hand holding easy.

The updated version was more compact and maybe a tad bit sharper but used it still goes for about twice as much as the older version.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed -- that old Nikon can produce good images if you can keep it steady!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like these images!
I wonder how hard it is to find an affordable one?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
I really like these images!
I wonder how hard it is to find an affordable one?

They can be had rather inexpensively ($150-4180) on Ebay. The newer version is more expensive ($400-$500) but is even easier to use than the older version. I have had one for about a year now and love it. It is great for wildlife photography where I don't always want to carry around my 14lb+ 600mm f/4 ED-IF AIS BEAST.