Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 Ai-s vs Pentax K 28mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 Ai-s vs Pentax K 28mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

Camera used: Sony A7rii (42,4 mp) on a tripod with self timer.
Note: the Nikkor is the famous 8-element Ai-s version; the Pentax is the rather rare 8-element K-series version.

First an overview of the close focus pictures taken (about 30cm). I did an exposure correction in RAW to make the pictures more comparible.

The differences are not too obvious yet, let's look at the 100% center crops.

The Nikkor is actually quite soft @f/2.8. The Pentax shows more detail up until f/5.6. At f/8 the pictures are quite comparable. I cannot 100% guarantee that the focus of the Nikkor was spot on; a small deviation may result in a different image, but I don't think this cannot account fully for the difference found between the two lenses.

Now the infinity focus pictures:

From a distance, the images from both lenses look pretty similar.

Now, 100% center crops:

The Nikkor shows a pretty solid performance already at f/2.8. When stopped down, the Pentax is a little bit sharper than the Nikkor.

Now look at the corners:

Here is where the Pentax clearly beats the Nikkor. Less purple fringing and more sharpness.

Conclusion:
The legendary Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 Ai-s is known to be a pretty awesome performer, but the K-series Pentax 28mm f/3.5 seems to be even better. A little more sharpness, a little more detail, and significantly better corner performance. Which makes it a great lens for high resolution full frame camera's. The Nikkor is a great lens as well, and has 20cm minimum focus, which allows for great artistic compositions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Casper for this comparison.
Both are great lenses, but the Pentax is just wonderful.
Fabulous landscape lens.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Thank you Casper for this comparison.
Both are great lenses, but the Pentax is just wonderful.
Fabulous landscape lens.
Tom

Yes indeed. I didn't expect it to be so good as close distances as well!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, have you corrected for field curvature, if any, when coming to the corners?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Very interesting, have you corrected for field curvature, if any, when coming to the corners?

No, no corrections were made.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he asks if focus/dof is placed identical. Corners can be oof if not included in dof due to field curvature.

Thanks very much for the comparison! I will attribute the difference to lens coatings, more transmission less noise on PK.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AIS lens and I don't understand the great reputation it has from the research I have done. The lens is well praised and almost never criticized. However, I have looked at flickr albums and often see soft corners and nothing special about the rendering. It's possible that pictures are making it into those albums that are not from the 28mm f/2.8 AIS lens but the AI version or even the E-series. However, you also see plenty people saying they must of had a bad copy because it had soft corners.

Does anyone own this lens that can provide some perspective on what it does special other than it's close focus ability?

I have heard it's very sharp but again I haven't seen impressively sharp sample photos. That doesn't mean they were soft but nothing that stood out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I have been looking at the Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AIS lens and I don't understand the great reputation it has from the research I have done. The lens is well praised and almost never criticized. However, I have looked at flickr albums and often see soft corners and nothing special about the rendering. It's possible that pictures are making it into those albums that are not from the 28mm f/2.8 AIS lens but the AI version or even the E-series. However, you also see plenty people saying they must of had a bad copy because it had soft corners.

Does anyone own this lens that can provide some perspective on what it does special other than it's close focus ability?

I have heard it's very sharp but again I haven't seen impressively sharp sample photos. That doesn't mean they were soft but nothing that stood out.

I think it is a pretty good lens actually. It may not be perfect in the extreme corners, but it is quite sharp, even on a 42 mp+ sensor, contrasty and performs good at wider apertures and in difficult lighting conditions. It's not as good as this particular Pentax lens maybe, which quite stunned me after i made the first pictures with it. The way it renders skies sometimes is very special; it doesn't quite show in this particular test.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
cbass wrote:

I think it is a pretty good lens actually. It may not be perfect in the extreme corners, but it is quite sharp, even on a 42 mp+ sensor, contrasty and performs good at wider apertures and in difficult lighting conditions. It's not as good as this particular Pentax lens maybe, which quite stunned me after i made the first pictures with it. The way it renders skies sometimes is very special; it doesn't quite show in this particular test.

Thank you very much for this interesting comparison. Like 1.
I've seen several reviews of the Nikkor Ai-S and in each of them, the lens distinguished itself with very even performance between the center and the corners, thanks to the "close range correction" (CRC). Seeing your results, i wonder if you use an adapter which doesn't have the right length or a damaged lens with badly aligned floating elements.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ais 28/2,8.

I agree with IT's not a special lens.

The Hollywood is a very good 28 mm lens but it's a lot of bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I have an Ais 28/2,8.

Found this on Phillip Reeve's website about the smc Pentax 28/3.5:

"Unquestioned, the Distagon 2.0/28 is a better alround lens but this could be a better alternative if you look for a landscape lens. It has high contrast, less field curvature, less loCA and great flare resistance."

As I use the Pentax mainly as a landscape lens, there's probably no need for me to upgrade. I remember paying only very little for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
papasito wrote:
I have an Ais 28/2,8.

Found this on Phillip Reeve's website about the smc Pentax 28/3.5:

"Unquestioned, the Distagon 2.0/28 is a better alround lens but this could be a better alternative if you look for a landscape lens. It has high contrast, less field curvature, less loCA and great flare resistance."

As I use the Pentax mainly as a landscape lens, there's probably no need for me to upgrade. I remember paying only very little for it.

Yes. The Pentax is a very nice lens.

I can see in the pics that IT's really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax is a great lens and much fun to use.

Got mine for 100 euros, it looks and works like new.

Unfortunately I now use it rarely because my Tamron 17-28 is simply more versatile.

And there is one thing I don't like so much in the Pentax: The images are TOO contrasty. Problematic to work with in postprocessing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC K 28mm 1:3.5 has become pretty hard to find. Currently can't find any on eBay. Not even from Japan.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The SMC K 28mm 1:3.5 has become pretty hard to find. Currently can't find any on eBay. Not even from Japan.

I think that its reputation is becoming known.
But it might only be a sign of the times that it is not up for sale.
There is little that can leave Japan and most other countries at the moment, so I have the feeling that sellers are waiting for restrictions to ease so that parcels can be delivered in a timely manner before listing again.
Delays at the moment are being treated as non delivery by buyers, and they are requesting refunds for things that have already shipped but are stuck at borders. Ebay will always support buyers and refunds are generally given, but sellers are losing out.
If I was a seller I would not list anything at the moment
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

I think that its reputation is becoming known.
But it might only be a sign of the times that it is not up for sale.
There is little that can leave Japan and most other countries at the moment, so I have the feeling that sellers are waiting for restrictions to ease so that parcels can be delivered in a timely manner before listing again.
Delays at the moment are being treated as non delivery by buyers, and they are requesting refunds for things that have already shipped but are stuck at borders. Ebay will always support buyers and refunds are generally given, but sellers are losing out.
If I was a seller I would not list anything at the moment
Tom

I remembered Buyee.com (Yahoo japan and Yahoo auction). There are still a number on auction/for sale there.