Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

38mm 1:2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: 38mm 1:2.8 Reply with quote

There used to be a lot of compacts with 38mm F2.8 lenses. I recently got a Yashica that a seller had added to a set as a bonus I guess. It was broken so I tore it apart to get to the lens. A total mess of small parts but I got out the lens.

I can focus with it because I also use the helicoid from the compact. It is probably a pretty generic lens found among other Japanese brands. I adapted it by putting it inside a exakta rear cap I cut a hole in. With some sticky medical tape wrapped around it fits perfectly into a K-mount lens reversal adapter.

Yashica 38mm 2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

#2 maximum focus distance right now
maximum focus distance by The lens profile, on Flickr

#3 close focus distance (could maybe be closer but you have to take care not to turn the lens out of the helicoid).
Close focus distance by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the camera it came out of:
unexpected by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good
Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this with a Petri lens, and of course the Industar 69

You should be able to rig an adapter for a mirrorless camera with any of these old RF lenses. The basic Leica M39 LTM adapter for any mirrorless camera is a starting point for an adapter that will give you infinity.

The trouble with doing this is that the old 38mm f/2.8 lenses most of these cameras used are just too good, technically. They give excellent results, but a good sharp contrasty picture can be made with most lenses without going to the trouble. Your usual 35mm f/2.8 SLR lens of the time on a standard digital camera adapter will give an identical picture, for any reasonable purpose.

There is of course the Edmund Hilary reason for doing so, which he gave for climbing Mount Everest - "because its there".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convincing central sharpness and smooth transition to OOF. Good work, congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have done this with a Petri lens, and of course the Industar 69

You should be able to rig an adapter for a mirrorless camera with any of these old RF lenses. The basic Leica M39 LTM adapter for any mirrorless camera is a starting point for an adapter that will give you infinity.

The trouble with doing this is that the old 38mm f/2.8 lenses most of these cameras used are just too good, technically. They give excellent results, but a good sharp contrasty picture can be made with most lenses without going to the trouble. Your usual 35mm f/2.8 SLR lens of the time on a standard digital camera adapter will give an identical picture, for any reasonable purpose.

There is of course the Edmund Hilary reason for doing so, which he gave for climbing Mount Everest - "because its there".

True, but since the compact was broken lying around being junk I decided to dismantle it. Somebody did a lot of work designing that mechanical wonder. I will try to make a lens out of the viewfinder as well. I found with the rear element reversed is actually has a workable flange focal distance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same with the same lens as you