Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kenko Mirror Scope 300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Kenko Mirror Scope 300 Reply with quote

anyone familiar with these?

it's a "spotting scope" but seems (as best i can tell, as they appear to be japanese-market only) to be a T-mount 300/5 mirror lens attached to an erecting prism, similar to a tamron tele-view

took a gamble on it, as i've been thinking about getting a tele-view or t-mount scope conversion anyway.. will look hilarious on my a7ii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Kenko Mirror Scope 300 Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
anyone familiar with these?

it's a "spotting scope" but seems (as best i can tell, as they appear to be japanese-market only) to be a T-mount 300/5 mirror lens attached to an erecting prism, similar to a tamron tele-view

took a gamble on it, as i've been thinking about getting a tele-view or t-mount scope conversion anyway.. will look hilarious on my a7ii

It seems similar to the Pentax branded spotting scope 300.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it arrived today and it's... weird!

the barrel width is essentially the same as a 500/8 mirror lens (and indeed i'm using the lens hood from my rubinar 500/8 with it), but about half as long! so it's quite a bit wider physically than the other 300/5.6 i have, and marginally shorter when mounted to the camera... will post comparison pix and sample shots tomorrow, weather was too poor to really get out today other than to shoot my bird feeder a bit, but results are promising.

also, as predicted, it unscrewed from the erecting prism and eyepiece to reveal a t-mount, but also there was a t-mount 1.5x barlow (teleconverter) between the lens and the erecting prism, making it effectively a 450mm when used together, haven't tried the barlow on the camera yet though but seemed decent on the scope, to the extent i tried it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got out and shot a bit today.. was extremely windy, but managed to get some acceptable results - this lens appears to be substantially better than my other small cat lenses

these shots are unprocessed other than exposure adjustments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera did you use for these? The first image has less vignetting than the rest, was it processed differently?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
What camera did you use for these? The first image has less vignetting than the rest, was it processed differently?

good eye.. all shot on sony a7ii, first image is cropped a bit