Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A7r3 & Printing Nikkor 105mm: Male Damselflies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: A7r3 & Printing Nikkor 105mm: Male Damselflies Reply with quote

I have been working towards this dream 1:1 combination of hardware for several years. The A7r1 let me down a bit with shutter shake and lack of IS. Those are overcome with the A7r3.

The Printing-Nikkor 105mm is optimised for 1:1 and is supposed to cover full frame. It gives vignetting in the very corners of the frame, perhaps because the sensor is a bit larger than some FF ones. Anyway, the results are worth the tiny amount of cropping.

Although the lens is optimised at f2.8, I need f8, as used here, to get useful DOF. I believe I have used this lens with a hood previously but this time I did not, as is my practice with most macro lenses.

This is not a test of the combinations best performance but a trial of what it will do for me for the subjects I shoot. So, no tripod!

The working distance of about 180mm, in front of a lens (front element) extended about 210mm from the flange, takes a bit of getting used to but it does distance me from my subjects.

Today was sunny and warm but with constantly gusting breeze. Together with the damsels seeming to prefer the whippiest leaves to settle on, this made quite a frustrating session, with many shots out of focus. However, I have a few which show what I hoped to see. In one case I have gone back to the TIFF, cropped and processed separately to show the detail. I preferred, where I could, shooting at an angle to the insect to get both eyes visible, rather than a profile, sharp from the eyes to the tip of the abdomen.

What took me a little by surprise, after shooting so many on m4/3 over several years, was finding the whole length of the insect, and some space, in the frame at closest focus.

The stereo is crosseye.

Crop:

Crop:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Hey if these are good enough for "Experienced entomological taxonomist" they are certainly good enough!

I'm wondering if shake can be reduced more by setting Steady Shot focal length to say 200mm or longer to compensate for the high magnification?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Hey if these are good enough for "Experienced entomological taxonomist" they are certainly good enough!

I'm wondering if shake can be reduced more by setting Steady Shot focal length to say 200mm or longer to compensate for the high magnification?

That's not shake but OOF due to the angle.

That's a calculation nobody seems to know the answer to.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

:} well here's your chance to try it & let the world know if you get more keepers by setting the Steady Shot focal length high. Seems pretty obvious high magnifications require more shake reduction. Perhaps I don't understand how shake reduction works. Motion sensing, yes? High magnification macro photos are more sensitive to small motion, correct, just exactly like longer focal length settings are more sensitive to smaller motions than shorter focal length settings. The Steady Shot focal lengths work at typical minimum focus distance for lens, not when magnified as in macro closeup.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

:} well here's your chance to try it & let the world know if you get more keepers by setting the Steady Shot focal length high. Seems pretty obvious high magnifications require more shake reduction. Perhaps I don't understand how shake reduction works. Motion sensing, yes? High magnification macro photos are more sensitive to small motion, correct, just exactly like longer focal length settings are more sensitive to smaller motions than shorter focal length settings. The Steady Shot focal lengths work at typical minimum focus distance for lens, not when magnified as in macro closeup.

The setting was for 105mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a view, from the same session, with the body, and much of the wings, parallel to the sensor. I did not include it above because the head is slightly turned away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice ones!!

Like 1 Like 1