Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Excellent condition"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: "Excellent condition" Reply with quote

These marketers annoy me. How can them seriously say "excellent condition" for a such lens ?
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Rera-Excellent-Pentax-Auto-Takumar-85-1-8-M42-W-Case/124667572473?hash=item1d06c430f9:g:drUAAOSwbNte5aIb

Look at that rear element... In their mount, every lens is near mint, every lens is in excellent condition Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Excellent condition" Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
These marketers annoy me. How can them seriously say "excellent condition" for a such lens ?
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Rera-Excellent-Pentax-Auto-Takumar-85-1-8-M42-W-Case/124667572473?hash=item1d06c430f9:g:drUAAOSwbNte5aIb

Look at that rear element... In their mount, every lens is near mint, every lens is in excellent condition Rolling Eyes

By their definitions I think all over 80% of my lenses in my to service case are in excellent condition!

I wonder how e-bay will treat any claim for not as described. The last 2 photos do show it well & contradict the text.
E-bay usually sides with the buyer so they could find they have to refund the service cost...

NB I've not managed to find a translation of the 'Rera' portion of the rating, the only meanings I can find on-line are acronyms that are quite inapplicable for this instance. My initial thought was it's a typo for rare, but lower down their condition ratings list:
Near Mint
Excellent +++++
Excellent +++ &
Rera excellent
suggesting it means less than excellent+++ (but surely not 'sub excellent').

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Excellent" in eBay language means "not that bad considering its age", nothing more.
That's why they also have "excellent with some pluses", and only then "near mint" and "mint".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
"Excellent" in eBay language means "not that bad considering its age", nothing more.
That's why they also have "excellent with some pluses", and only then "near mint" and "mint".

Even if that's the case, the lens in question is far from excellent for it's age. Many lenses older than the M42 mount are in much better condition the best this could be described as is typical for it's age.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condition exaggeration has been an issue for at least 35 years, and likely even longer.