Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Longer lens hood for Biometar 80mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Longer lens hood for Biometar 80mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been using my Biometar 80mm f2.8 on both Nikon Z and Leica. In both cases stopped down it produces flare right in the middle of the frame.

I bought a foldable lens hood (those cheap ones from China with 3 folding positions) and it does not help.
However, if I hover my hand on the top of the hood works the flare disappears.

That means probably a longer hood would do the job. However, I could not find one.

What do you suggest here? DYI?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer lens hood for Biometar 80mm f2.8 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
That means probably a longer hood would do the job. However, I could not find one.

Why? It's a standard 58mm thread. That foldable rubber hood is quite short, just over 50mm long IIRC, and you can easily buy metal hood for that thread size at least of 75mm length (maybe even more, I've just spent 10 seconds on googling)
https://www.amazon.in/SHOPEE-BRANDED-Telephoto-Filter-Thread/dp/B0779DBW7Q

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer lens hood for Biometar 80mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
wolan wrote:

Why? It's a standard 58mm thread. That foldable rubber hood is quite short, just over 50mm long IIRC, and you can easily buy metal hood for that thread size at least of 75mm length (maybe even more, I've just spent 10 seconds on googling)
https://www.amazon.in/SHOPEE-BRANDED-Telephoto-Filter-Thread/dp/B0779DBW7Q

Maybe I was not clear enough, I am looking for a foldable one. Anyway if I can't find one will go for a hard one.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer lens hood for Biometar 80mm f2.8 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:

Maybe I was not clear enough, I am looking for a foldable one.

Ah.
You won't find one, unfortunately - they are all (Arsenal/Kiev, Mamiya, Chinese, Hama, B+W #900, etc) of about the same length. Some (that are made for wides) are even shorter.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longer would vignette corners, whereas Tulip-shaped hood lets in corner light and extends sides like finger does. Maybe somebody make a folding Tulip hood. Finger usually always available.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For occasions like this I carry a piece of black card of appropriate size and an elastic band ... position the card to cure the problem, hold it in place with the elastic band, take pictures Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this probably doesn't help the OP, but FWIW I stack my lens hoods. On most of them the large end threads are a standard size, so I'll screw a 58mm hood into the end of a 49mm hood, for example.

Works really well for telephoto lengths. Doesn't work so well for wide-angles, obviously.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the end out of a beer cooler.
The inside is usually black neoprene.
Cut to size
Works like a charm
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Pull the end out of a beer cooler.
The inside is usually black neoprene.
Cut to size
Works like a charm
Tom

Like 1

I use similar setups with some of my lenses.