Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML Zoom 80-200 f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML Zoom 80-200 f4 Reply with quote

What a surprise this lens is, I didn't know what to expect from it. Push - pull zooms of a certain age can be decent, a few are excellent, but most seem to fall in the average to rubbish bracket. But this is Yashica, their reputation is mostly good. Would this handy range, constant aperture zoom be worthy of the Yashica name?
I'm pleased to say it does. I grabbed the lens as I went for a very quick walk in the last few minutes of sunshine. I was getting some fresh air and not really taking pictures, but the results really surprised me. It's a nice easy lens to use, the colours are good, its sharp and the CA is very small and easily dealt with.
All these pictures are untouched except for sizing, ISO 800, shot at f4 or f5.6, hand held.

It's a well built and compact lens.

Here it is alongside the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 / 2.8-4 ( Komine ) Is it a rival ? I think it is, despite the differences.

Last edited by Lloydy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, surprisingly great for an old zoom, congrats.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to try it properly, and back to back with the Vivitar S1 - maybe the Soligor CD 70-210 3.5 and the Tamron SP 70-210 / 3.8-4 as well? They were the premier line zooms from those manufacturers back in the day.

The long shot of the Ironbridge lacks contrast, but the sun had gone from there completely and I was at 200mm with the camera resting on the branch of a thin sapling, but....it is a lot sharper than I expected. I shall be using this lens a lot more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can compare it to my Konica UC 80-200 to if you like.

I suspect this Yashica ML is made by Tokina and is the same lens they sold as an AT-X 4/80-200 and was also sold in QBM mount as a Rollei Rolleinar and a Voigtlander Color-Dynarex, I had that lens, one of the best 80-200s and renders exactly like this one, physically looks very similar too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica ML Zoom 80-200 f4 Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Some loss of definition on the headstone - is that from GA - geriatric abberation .............. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously, this is a surprise and very good at what it does.
A comparison will be very interesting
OH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, it came with a kit of Yashica gear, with a Contax RX camera. All in great condition with some choice accessories and filters, not the usual 'starburst' crap filters found in most kits. This came from a keen and knowledgeable photographer, so I wouldn't be surprised if this zoom was bought because it had a good reputation rather than on a whim.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica ML Zoom 80-200 f4 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Some loss of definition on the headstone - is that from GA - geriatric abberation .............. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously, this is a surprise and very good at what it does.
A comparison will be very interesting
OH

I think you're right, "geriatric abberation" has got the better of the headstone, I can't figure out the date but the neighbours are early 1800's.

The date's there somewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge surprise, the ML zooms are pretty good -> very good. The 70-210 is supposed to be slightly better. I found the 28-85 and 35-105 to be very nice lenses. Particularly the 35-105 Which can deliver real 3d pop at times and is a nice size too. It would fun to see to see your lens tested against the Zeiss 80-200 too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've the same lens in Yashica ML & Zoom-Rolleinar MC. I suspect a Tokina too. ø55 mfd 1.9m. Small, not tested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vario-Dynar-f-4-80-200mm-AR-fur-Rolleiflex-QBM-/121279763002?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item1c3cd6523a

That is the Tokina in Voigtlander guise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly it looks very much like the 35-105 is a Tokina as well. I think I may need to look into Tokina's lenses...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the AT-X ones like the 28-135 (also sold as a Konica Zoom-Hexanon), the non-AT-X Tokinas are nothing special, I've had a dozen or so of them, all decent, but no real standouts whereas the AT-X ones are all at least very good and some truly great (by zoom standards).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica ML Zoom 80-200 f4 Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I think you're right, "geriatric abberation" has got the better of the headstone, I can't figure out the date but the neighbours are early 1800's.

The date's there somewhere?

Interesting - my parents live in an ironstone area (Warwickshire/Oxfordshire border) and all the gravestones are the same reddish hue. I did a photographic survey of many of the gravestones back in the early 1980s (with my Practika MTL3, home printed!), and since then many have become illegible, presumably due to the acid rain that we suffered from in the 80s and 90s. It really is very soft stone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight out of the camera, ISO 800 - 1/200 f5.6 and hand held in driving wind and hail. I'm liking this lens.

1/640 and f4. It's not razor sharp, but that's the wind and hand holding. But the bokeh is delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shooting, I've just won one as well Smile

Click here to see on Ebay

Will compare to the Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4 once it arrives Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....that's a bargain! Very Happy I think you'll like it, there are no major vices with this lens - a bit of CA which seems to go at 5.6, and that's about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm looking forward to getting it now, particularly at that price Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to bump this topic - Graham, have you compared this lens to the Vario Sonnar yet ? Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh yeah I did! But I haven't published a comparison yet, will aim to do so this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Graham, I look forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't forgotten about this thread Smile I've tested both lenses and have a conclusion based on my lenses, but sadly my ML has some haze so I'm not sure it's going to be 100% perfect. Will update soon, promise!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got myself this lens Yashica ML 80-200/4 but unfortunately it has fungus on the front side.
Looking some reference on how to disassemble it for cleaning the fungus.
i saw some screws but they are soooo tiny .....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it myself also, but the 70-210/4.5 seems to be better, than the 80-200/4 ML.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found not the original ML 80-200, but the 70-210 GA-21 Yashica lens hood @ebay, quite expensive.
Cheaper Alternative: screw-in metal hood, from roxsen eBay...about 3 bucks. I'd guess it's way fine for the 80-200/F4 ML,
the GA-21 is only for the former 70-210/4.5 Zoom...but both have 55mm into Filtersize, i'd guess it's click-into?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come rather late to this topic - apologies...

The ML 80-200 was originally made by Yashica at the Tomioka factory from 1977 onwards. However, production stopped in 1979 for a little under a year when Yashica, seeking to provide a high-end lens to match the Zeiss range, produced the superb ML 70-210 f4. This was a very expensive lens to manufacture (only the Reflex 1000mm f11 lens cost more) and the build quality is classical Tomioka and absolutely on a par with the Zeiss VS 70-210 f3.5 Macro, reckoned to be the best zoom in its focal range ever made. I've shot a series of comparative images which show no discernible difference between the ML and VS lenses. The ML 80-200 also fares pretty well although most of my 80-200s are early numbers from the end of the 70s and beginning of the 80s. Once Kyocera got their hands on Yashica/Contax in 1983, production was outsourced more and more as the years went on so it is perfectly possible that Tokina and Cosina may have produced the final batches.

I've attached a piccie of some of the mid-range zooms from Yashica which shows the ML 80-200 (twice for a reason I can't recall) and the uber-rare ML 70-210 f4. If you can get a copy of the latter that is clear and mechanically sound, grab it - pictures are amazing and the build quality is fabulous. Early numbered 80-200 lenses are great too - the 70-210 f4.5 also has a lot of supporters and as you can see is a lot more compact than the f4.

Why the ML 70-210 f4 was killed off so brutally by Yashica is almost certainly because Zeiss introduced the VS 70-210 shortly after Yashica's lens came to market; photographers that had adopted the Contax Real Time System were always more likely to opt for Zeiss than its 'poor cousin' Yashica. I was guilty of that approach at the time and to be honest didn't even know that Yashica had a premium tele-zoom in their range. High production values and costs, and not enough buyers; the cancellation of the lens was inevitable and the company reverted to its much less expensive 80-200. Incidentally, the ML 80-200 and the Zeiss 80-200 produce very similar results except in extreme lighting where the T* coating has the edge over the ML.