Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto-Yashinon 5cm f/2 (Tomioka) vs SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Auto-Yashinon 5cm f/2 (Tomioka) vs SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

A little test between these two great lenses.

First, the overview picture:

100% center:

The Pentax is suffering @f/1.4. From f/2 upwards, both lenses show plenty of detail. The SMC Pentax, being a multicoated lens, has more saturated colors.

100% corner:

Better performance from the Yashinon at f/2. Then, from f/2.8 and smaller, something funny happens: the Yashinon retains more detail in the very extreme corners, but the Pentax is better slightly inwards.

Bokeh with 100% detail:

Plenty of detail from both lenses. I personally find the bokeh of the Pentax a bit too wild @f/1.4. From f/2 and smaller, the bokeh is quite pleasant and neutral. The Yashinon shows a slightly swirly bokeh. It's a matter of taste what you like more. I personally think, the images from the Yashinon look more 3D than the Pentax; what do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice comparison! Thank you for posting.

Both of these lenses are nice performers. I personally would give the Pentax the overall edge due to the warmer and more saturated color, and its extra speed, but that is personal preference. Certainly the color balance is easily manipulated in post if you are shooting digital. I would give corner performance to the Yashica, but an overall image at normal magnification would probably show almost no difference between samples. I think in those photos the Yashica seems a little more contrasty. Perhaps that could also be attributed to a change in the lighting when the photo was taken.

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 clever method for comparing center & corner, tilting the horizon! Bravo.

I agree the Auto-Yashinon looks to have more 3D. I'm not so sure about how color balance can make the Yashinon look more like the SMC. The coatings allow more light transmission. I think lens formula (CA correction) has much more effect on color balance.

To be clear, what is written on the name ring of the "SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4" lens, and what is the mount?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

I agree the Auto-Yashinon looks to have more 3D. I'm not so sure about how color balance can make the Yashinon look more like the SMC. The coatings allow more light transmission. I think lens formula (CA correction) has much more effect on color balance.

To be clear, what is written on the name ring of the "SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4" lens, and what is the mount?

It's excactly that. The first bayonet version, the 'K' version. Optically identical to the SMC Tak.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

I'm not so sure about how color balance can make the Yashinon look more like the SMC. The coatings allow more light transmission.

What is more light transmission if not colour? Wink Thankfully most lenses produce reasonable colour from the outset, but there are some absolutely awful vintage binoculars out there, sometimes your eyes cannot adjust. The worst coatings are the gold/mirror type, where most of the red light is reflected, which served as a false CA correction and looked attractive to buyers. Minolta designed their 'Achromatic' coating to colour balance all their lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the information。

I prefer yashinon,Its bokeh is more detailed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tachi wrote:
Thank you for sharing the information。

I prefer yashinon,Its bokeh is more detailed

The Yashinon has its own character, it doesn't really show in this 'splitting hairs test’. Which makes you question the purpose of splitting hairs in the first place. Still, I like to do it, out of curiosity.