Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Greetings from the Netherlands
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Greetings from the Netherlands Reply with quote

Hi y’all,
Greetings from the Netherlands; where people live below Sea level!
Been working on a personal challenge lately; attempting to use M42 vintage material on Nikon…. This is an issue; Focal plane distance for Nikon = 46.5mm and M42= 45.5. Using commercially available adaptors obviously leads to infinity issues…. I inherited several M42 lenses, including a Helios 44m. I decided to remove the original mount and remake this by lathe, observing the 2.0 mm smaller thickness. In the end a satisfactory project; see pics included

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings from the Netherlands Reply with quote

Welcome OneKeyB! favorite photo is #6 -- something rare and beautiful!

OneKeyB wrote:
Hi y’all,
Greetings from the Netherlands; where people live below Sea level!
Been working on a personal challenge lately; attempting to use M42 vintage material on Nikon…. This is an issue; Focal plane distance for Nikon = 46.5mm and M42= 45.5. Using commercially available adaptors obviously leads to infinity issues…. I inherited several M42 lenses, including a Helios 44m. I decided to remove the original mount and remake this by lathe, observing the 2.0 mm smaller thickness. In the end a satisfactory project; see pics included

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

Good talents there with the machinist skills.
The rabbit ears metering prong is interesting. Was that added by you?

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a very satisfactory work, as you said. Congrats and welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I used to have access to a machine shop. Made many things but no photo items.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rabbit ears are a wink to ancient Nikon History...
The ear format themselves are indeed made by me... Base material is angular Alu strip, that actually caused a lot of grief in shaping.
Ears base is not straight, instead has curve (62mm radius). The forming of course caused the Al to crack.... Subsequently heating an tempering followed (Metallurgy 101).
This last detail took multiple experiments.....
Ears functionality on this manual lens on Nikon D800 is zero. Just added for cosmetics...

Hope to get to test the Helios soon; Covid prevents us from doing our thing.
See: http://www.wenspics.be/larp/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1