Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Black Sonnar in LTM mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Black Sonnar in LTM mount? Reply with quote

I received a Black Sonnar T in LTM mount with SN:27091XX yesterday. Everything else seems in good condition except the front element(many coating marks). Rangefinder coupling is correct on my Canon rangefinder camera.

What makes me confused is the origin of the lens, there are few things make it different to the other Sonnars I have seen:

• The letters on the name ring are different to the other Zeiss lenses made in the same SN range.
  • The focus ring and DOF scale are different to the other Zeiss LTM copies I have seen on the internet.
  • The colour of the lens barrel. I don't remember if I have seen a black one.

Any ideas?

#6 The caps comes with the lens are in black too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful find. If fake, certainly smart job worth the effort.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake made from Russian parts with a freshly manufactured name ring. This sort of Frankenstein creation is common in the former USSR. The only thing that looks like original Zeiss is the aperture ring as it has the correct lettering style and looks old - probably taken from an early Contax Sonnar that was beyond repair.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Thank You Dog

I did managed to find a Jupiter-3 with similar lens barrel but failed. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a fake, that huge ugly screw sticking out the side shows it's not a factory made item and the name ring is obviously a badly engraved modern reproduction - there's even an obvious error - a spurious full stop in front of the = symbol.

Some info about fakes on this page:

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Zeiss_Fakes.html

The marking of the distance scale with the red line with triangle at the base is distinctively Russian - a real Zeiss has a smaller triangle.

The use of a mix of full stops and comas also shows it's a fake made from parts of different lenses.

You can check Thiele's book to find out if the serial number was indeed assigned to a Sonnar 1.5/50, often these fakes have serial numbers that are found to be from an entirely different model of lens. Also, real Zeiss Sonnars have the last six digits of the serial number stamped into the rear lens group.

This is a real wartime (or in this case, probably 1946) Sonnar 1.5/50 in LTM:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt on the authenticity of this lens. For me, the collection value of such lens is higher than a genuine copy from the same period.

In my opinion, it is unlikely a modern reproduction, at least not for a profit as I get it for less than a regular J-3. It would be nice to know if anyone had come across something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vade Mecum, page 361, notes M39x26 mounted 1.5 Sonnar's from around the time of WWII. They were normally 'T' coated, and the mounts bore a similarity to those later seen in the USSR. It states that nearly the complete set of lenses then available have been seen in this mount, one by one, over the years, in advertisements. The Vade Mecum takes a guess at war reparations to the USSR, or as a warm up for the production of Kiev/Fed lenses. I have no idea what exactly is meant by the term "warm up".

Time to get your Sherlock Homes hat on Calvin Smile . Report back on what you find.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number suggests that this lens was made in 1941, so hardly a war reparations...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's a modern reproduction, that badly done name ring makes that obvious. Whoever typed the text into the software that controlled the CNC engraving machine made a typo:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
The serial number suggests that this lens was made in 1941, so hardly a war reparations...

Why Alex? Could you explain?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

Well, the lens made in 1941 can't obviously be made as reparations for the war that ended in 1945.
It may be made in 1941 and given as reparations after the war, of course, but still that doesn't explain where it came from and where all other black Sonnars are...

And all the early Jupiters I've seen look much more like "standard" 1940's Sonnars - they are silver and have totally different DOF scale.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

... It may be made in 1941 and given as reparations after the war, of course, ...

That's what I thought was a possibility, nothing more. It was a very messy time for lenses. And, looking at the other side of course, a perfect period in which to place a fake.

The most important part in the VM for me is the mention of these 'T' marked M39 lenses being seen in advertisements. Perhaps an advert could be tracked down to see if it looks the same. As in compiling provenance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The namering looks like a fake. The font is completely wrong. Maybe done to change the serial number from the original. Some manufacturers use the ":" notation to indicate a duplicated namering. BUT- the font would be correct. I have seen several lenses in the 270 range that are "transition" lenses, one-offs converted to Leica Mount done after the war. Original LTM Zeiss lenses are mostly 272 and 285 range. The SN of your lenses is from a batch of 5cm F1.5 Sonnars for Contax mount, 1942.

Did you unscrew the rear fixture to test the serial number stamped on it? It should have the last 5 or 6 digits of the serial number on it.

What is the material used for the optics barrel? It should be an alloy material, not aluminum,

The wings of the aperture ring "have too many grooves" for a lens in this SN range. I have lenses with aperture rings with "wings" from post-war transition lenses that look like yours.

I have seen one-off conversions of Contax mount lenses to LTM.

This is an original Zeiss LTM lens:

With all that stated: I have built 5cm F1.5 Sonnars in Leica mount using parts from 5 different lenses, all original Zeiss glass.

Last edited by fiftyonepointsix on Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! I have more idea now to find a real Zeiss Sonnar in the future.

For the lens above, I can't see any serial number stamped on the rear barrel without taking the lens block out. The weight of my copy is about 140g which is similar to other J-3. So, it is unlikely the optics barrel is made of alloy material which is heavier than aluminium.

Anyway, I am satisfied with my copy, which is unique among the other Sonnar/J-3 I have seen. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what someone has done here - build a lens from parts from several lenses.

The reason why it's a fake is that name ring, if it was Zeiss glass, why put a fake name ring on it?

Therefore, only logical to conclude that it's a J3 being passed off as a Zeiss - i.e. a fake.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That's what someone has done here - build a lens from parts from several lenses.

The reason why it's a fake is that name ring, if it was Zeiss glass, why put a fake name ring on it?

Therefore, only logical to conclude that it's a J3 being passed off as a Zeiss - i.e. a fake.

If you have never taken a wartime Zeiss lens apart- you would not know there is a hidden set screw that holds the namering in place. The namering appears to be stuck. The lenses up to about SN 268xxxx do not have this set screw, and the namering comes off with a spanner. With wartime lenses: you must take the block out of the mount, and take out the set screw before taking the namering off. If you do not know that trick- someone mught cut the namering out, meaning you need to make a replacement. I know this first hand, been there done that. Big Whoops.

The same is true of the rear fixture- held in place with a hidden set screw for the wartime lenses, no others.

Take apart 250 or so J-3 and Zeiss 5cm F1.5 lenses: you think you would have seen it all, but quickly learn- You Have Not!
I had one wartime Sonnar that the Set Screw holding the rear module in place had too shallow of a tap, and the block was jammed in place. An error made when the lens was manufactured in the 40s. That was a pain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, great, I can just see the sellers of fakes using the set screw as an excuse now, claiming thy had to have a new replacement manfactured. Sad

My 1938 Sonnar 1.5/50 definitely doesn't have any set screws, luckily. I wonder why they introduced that 'feature' for wartime production?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Oh, great, I can just see the sellers of fakes using the set screw as an excuse now, claiming thy had to have a new replacement manfactured. Sad

My 1938 Sonnar 1.5/50 definitely doesn't have any set screws, luckily. I wonder why they introduced that 'feature' for wartime production?

They would have to make a Tap for the set screw in the proper places.
I believe that the switch to the new alloy and "typical German Over-Engineering" brought in the set screw.

I've seen post-war conversions from Contax Mount to LTM that had the tell-tale set screw Taps only, no set screw.
I have a lot of photographs of Sonnars and J-3's taken apart. I have two 1950 KMZ J-3's that are really Zeiss Sonnars. SO- they are Fake J-3's. The Stamped SN on the rear module relates them to wartime Sonnars, in Thiele.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I believe that the switch to the new alloy and "typical German Over-Engineering" brought in the set screw.

I've seen post-war conversions from Contax Mount to LTM that had the tell-tale set screw Taps only, no set screw.
I have a lot of photographs of Sonnars and J-3's taken apart. I have two 1950 KMZ J-3's that are really Zeiss Sonnars. SO- they are Fake J-3's. The Stamped SN on the rear module relates them to wartime Sonnars, in Thiele.

Thanks for the extra info above. BTW, one of my 1952 J-9 has SN stamped on the rear module too. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Aah, so I guess they couldn't get very good threads cut in the poor quality alloy so added the set screw to compensate. The wartime Dallmeyer Pentac 2.9/8" is also made from crappy alloy and few of them are still in good shape as a result - the metal oxidises causes the black enamel paint finish to come off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Thanks for the extra info above. BTW, one of my 1952 J-9 has SN stamped on the rear module too. Wink

FAKE! FAKE! Fake Jupiter-9!!! It's really a Carl Zeiss Jena 8.5cm F2 manufactured in Contax mount, batch of 500, finished in 1946.

I have a "FAKE! FAKE! 1952 KMZ Jupiter-12" that is really a Zeiss Biotar manufactured in 1943. I paid $55 for it.

I LOVE FAKE! Jupiter lenses. I'd really like to get a FAKE! J-9.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Aah, so I guess they couldn't get very good threads cut in the poor quality alloy so added the set screw to compensate. The wartime Dallmeyer Pentac 2.9/8" is also made from crappy alloy and few of them are still in good shape as a result - the metal oxidises causes the black enamel paint finish to come off.

I think it was more that they did not want to over-torque the name ring in the new metal. The workmanship and material is 1st rate. I simply attribute it to over-engineering. The ZK and early J-3's use the same barrels, up until about 1952. These do not have the hidden set screws. One of the barrels I have in the J-3 had the tap in the rear module, but not in the barrel: so it was made from left-over parts.

I have one 1950 J-3 formerly in Contax Mount that was held in place with sewing thread. The focal length was too short, the glass was perfect, because it was unusable. It was assembly practice. I moved the rear module out, correcting the focal length and put it in a J-3 mount. It's my best J-3, every bit as good as my wartime Sonnar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

FAKE! FAKE! Fake Jupiter-9!!! It's really a Carl Zeiss Jena 8.5cm F2 manufactured in Contax mount, batch of 500, finished in 1946.

I have a "FAKE! FAKE! 1952 KMZ Jupiter-12" that is really a Zeiss Biotar manufactured in 1943. I paid $55 for it.

I LOVE FAKE! Jupiter lenses. I'd really like to get a FAKE! J-9.

Laugh 1

I think you are referring to Zeiss Biogon for J-12?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Laugh 1

I think you are referring to Zeiss Biogon for J-12?

Yes- you are correct....

I should learn to let Biogons be Biogons... (ba-da-boom)