Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Takumar 35mm f/2 vs SMC Pentax 'K' 35mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Super-Takumar 35mm f/2 vs SMC Pentax 'K' 35mm f/2 Reply with quote

Another comparison, this time between the Super-Takumar 35mm f/2 and the rather rare SMC Pentax (K-series) 35mm f/2.
There is not too much info on the web on the SMC Pentax 35/2, but several people claim that this K-series 35mm is optically the same as the Takumar 35/2. It's not strange that people think this, because several K-series lenses, being the first bayonet mount Pentax lenses, were actually similar to the Takumars. But, when you look on the Pentax forum, you can actually see that the lens scheme of both lenses is different. And when you compare both lenses in real life, you can actually see that the SMC Pentax 35/2 has a bigger rear element. I did a little test to find out how both lenses compare.

First, the minimum focus distance of the Pentax is shorter than the Takumar's.
Although the difference in distance is not extremely large, the effect of the image is completely different at minimum distance.

Then a comparison when focused on a relatively close subject.

Surprisingly, the single coated Super-Takumar seems to generate a bit more saturated colors, at least in this situation. Bokeh of both lenses is comparable.

Then the 100% crops:

The Pentax is a bit sharper than the Takumar, and subtle color differences are rendered a bit better. I think the Pentax also separates the subject a bit better from the background, best visible @ f/4 and f/5.6.

Then a test from a large distance.

Individual images look quite different from each other, but this is mainly due to the continuously changing weather (clouds or sunlight).

Let's look at the 100% crops from the center of the image:

Somewhat better performance from the Takumar here at larger apertures, but I think the Pentax image may have been slightly off focus, because at f/5.6 and f/8, the PEntax is better.

Extreme corners:

Could the difference be a focusing issue? I'm not sure, at f/8 the Pentax still has much better corners. Because the image in the corner is closer by I also compared the image at the right border, where the subject is far away (@f/Cool

The Pentax seems much better at the borders.

Overall, the SMC Pentax 35/2 seems to be the better lens, what do you think?
Feel free to comment!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Super-Takumar 35mm f/2 vs SMC Pentax 'K' 35mm f/2 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Overall, the SMC Pentax 35/2 seems to be the better lens, what do you think?
Feel free to comment!

Initial reaction. I'm thinking the Takumar is handling the flare better than the super multi coated Pentax! How can that be [scratches head]? Did you find that yourself? I'm wondering if it's my screen or something.

That's all I can give at the moment Caspert. Your excellent tests need more time to do them justice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. Indeed, the newer lens is the slightly better one. However, I would have expected bigger differences, particularly because of the different ratings at Pentaxforums.
I only have the older Takumar in the heavy version myself but don't really use it nowadays as I've got some better and smaller 35mm lenses as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the sudden change of weather, not so much the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Pentax in the last test is out of focus, there are green fringes in the trees in the top of the pentax k center shoots. And the really different light makes them not too easy to be compared.

With what camera did you shoot?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggc wrote:
I think the Pentax in the last test is out of focus, there are green fringes in the trees in the top of the pentax k center shoots. And the really different light makes them not too easy to be compared.

With what camera did you shoot?

Sony A7. And you're right. I will do another comparison soon, when the light conditions are more stable.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Super-Takumar 35mm f/2 vs SMC Pentax 'K' 35mm f/2 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Another comparison, this time between the Super-Takumar 35mm f/2 and the rather rare SMC Pentax (K-series) 35mm f/2.
There is not too much info on the web on the SMC Pentax 35/2, but several people claim that this K-series 35mm is optically the same as the Takumar 35/2. It's not strange that people think this, because several K-series lenses, being the first bayonet mount Pentax lenses, were actually similar to the Takumars. But, when you look on the Pentax forum, you can actually see that the lens scheme of both lenses is different. And when you compare both lenses in real life, you can actually see that the SMC Pentax 35/2 has a bigger rear element. I did a little test to find out how both lenses compare.

Feel free to comment!

Thank you CasperT for this comparison.
There are actually three different designs for the 35mm f2
The first is for the Super Takumar, and that design changed for the Super Multi Coated Takumar.
The design for the SMC Pentax K is similar to the Super Multi Coated Takumar, but not the same.
Here are the schematics from Pentax Forums:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Takumar-35mm-F2.html

Super Takumar

Super Multi Coated Takumar

SMC Pentax K

Here are some shots with the Super Takumar version.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first model Super-Takumar is clearly an older design from before they learned how to do away with the large front element. Looking at the bokeh highlights I see more field curvature (swirl) in de Super-Takumar, so it must be the first model (the second version came in super and s-m-c). 67mm vs 49mm filter size is quite a difference. The K-mount version looks like a complete overhaul of the takumar second version design. All elements are different, but the third, fifth, first part of the group and rear element clearly so. Probably to get rid of the thoriated glass in the Takumar.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The first model Super-Takumar is clearly an older design from before they learned how to do away with the large front element. Looking at the bokeh highlights I see more field curvature (swirl) in de Super-Takumar, so it must be the first model (the second version came in super and s-m-c). 67mm vs 49mm filter size is quite a difference. The K-mount version looks like a complete overhaul of the takumar second version design. All elements are different, but the third, fifth, first part of the group and rear element clearly so. Probably to get rid of the thoriated glass in the Takumar.

Yes, mine is the first model with the large front element.
Interestingly the design changed again when Pentax introduced the SMC Pentax M model

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-35mm-F2-Lens.html