Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

24mm Adapt-a-matic query
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: 24mm Adapt-a-matic query Reply with quote

Something I've just noticed, on all my other Tamron Adapt-a-matic lenses, 28mm, 35mm and 135mm, the A/M switch will detent in either position, but on my 24mm the switch won't stay in the "M" position and needs to be held there.

Is this by design or has my lens developed an annoying fault?

It's no big deal, certainly something I can live with, but it'd be interesting to know.

Thanks for any comments Smile


PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 24mm Adapt-a-matic query Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Something I've just noticed, on all my other Tamron Adapt-a-matic lenses, 28mm, 35mm and 135mm, the A/M switch will detent in either position, but on my 24mm the switch won't stay in the "M" position and needs to be held there.

Is this by design or has my lens developed an annoying fault?

It's no big deal, certainly something I can live with, but it'd be interesting to know.

Thanks for any comments Smile


I don't have your particular lens but understand what you described. I have lens doing that and my guess there is something faulty. Luckily, it is not a problem since the M42 to mirrorless camera should have the flange to depress the pin (same as M mode).


PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 24mm Adapt-a-matic query Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
I don't have your particular lens but understand what you described. I have lens doing that and my guess there is something faulty. Luckily, it is not a problem since the M42 to mirrorless camera should have the flange to depress the pin (same as M mode).


Unfortunately my Pentax DSLR does have a mirror ... hey-ho, I'll have to hold the a/m switch over Wink


PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to glue it in M I guess


PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Try to glue it in M I guess

An option I'm not unfamiliar with Wink or, in this case, a bit of plastic tube on the pin can be easily fitted.

I was simply wondering whether this model was inherently "different" to the others in the range or if, indeed, there might be a fault which could manifest itself as further issues in due course.

I'll enjoy it in the meantime anyway Smile


PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not different, its probably a fault.

That said, I also had one of these 24mm's with the same fault.

Those Adaptamatic 24mm lenses are not very good, as the two I had weren't sharp enough to satisfy me, which is is pretty rare, for me, as normally I am not picky about these things. The Adaptamatics generally have usable sharpness.


PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failure of the A/M switch to hold position is commonplace among old Adapt-A-Matic lenses. The malady is unrelated to focal length of the lens. It is, instead, a mechanical or mechanism failure of some sort.

That said, I have never been able to figure out how to repair this ailment. I own several Adapt-A-Matic lenses, all of different focal lengths, which exhibit it.


PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Failure of the A/M switch to hold position is commonplace among old Adapt-A-Matic lenses. The malady is unrelated to focal length of the lens. It is, instead, a mechanical or mechanism failure of some sort.

That said, I have never been able to figure out how to repair this ailment. I own several Adapt-A-Matic lenses, all of different focal lengths, which exhibit it.


Excellent Smile Thanks for a definitive response! Maybe one day I'll look into it ... in the meantime I'll enjoy it as it is Wink