Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wollensak Oscillo-Anastigmat 75mm f/1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Wollensak Oscillo-Anastigmat 75mm f/1.9 Reply with quote

I found a strange Fairchild Polaroid oscilloscope camera for sale online for a very low price. The lens on it turned out to be a beautiful piece of engineering. It feels well made and is heavy, 418g. And has 15 aperture blades if I counted correctly. Unlike the similar lens called Raptar this Anastigmat has a more or less flat field and normal bokeh which makes it usable for taking photos. The arm that cocks the shutter seems to be broken or turned inside the lens, which is strange. I managed to arm it by inserting a a tiny screwdriver.

I find the images it makes as beautiful as the lens itself. It has low contrast and ok sharpness all the way out to the edges. According the blog spiral-m42.blogspot.com the lens has a 6/4 design. And my test photos look similar to a scaled up 6/4 normal lens. Almost like a Pancolar.

So far I don't have an adapter and have only taken pictures at f/1.9 due to the difficulty in changing the aperture while holding lens and camera together.
But I managed to get some photos to share with you.

If you have photos or interesting information feel free post here!

#1 The text at the top says Belongs To The Swedish Radio. What could they have used it for?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT is what I call nervous bokeh! Well done!

I saw another oscillo something 75 mm 1.9 on e-bay. What is the oscillo reference?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Now THAT is what I call nervous bokeh! Well done!

I saw another oscillo something 75 mm 1.9 on e-bay. What is the oscillo reference?

Thanks!

I guess that the name indicates that it's designed to take pictures of oscilloscope screens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what an interesting lens, thanks for sharing!

It makes think of the early XX century photos, with thin dof and artistic plasticity of the background. What makes the difference from a more modern double Gauss, is a sensibly weaker subject isolation, especially given the longer focal distance and the speed. That makes it close in character to projection triplets. But with some distinctive plasticity.

I easily imagine a pretty series of shots taken with this lens in BW. If you don't mind, I converted one of your shots as following:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Wow, what an interesting lens, thanks for sharing!

It makes think of the early XX century photos, with thin dof and artistic plasticity of the background. What makes the difference from a more modern double Gauss, is a sensibly weaker subject isolation, especially given the longer focal distance and the speed. That makes it close in character to projection triplets. But with some distinctive plasticity.

I easily imagine a pretty series of shots taken with this lens in BW. If you don't mind, I converted one of your shots as following:

[img]http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20202/6699_vollensak_75_19_bw_1.[/img]

Now that turned up the artsy level!

Yes somewhat similar rendering to projection lenses, but much better sharpness out from the center. Also very similar to the Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2, apart from the shorter FL.

I actually made a portrait in BW that was not included in the first post. With little detail in the background it looks much smoother:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For taking pictures of oscilloscope crt screens, to make a record of signal traces.
These were standard accessories for analog oscillosopes since the 1930's.

Swedish Radio certainly had an electronics lab, so why not.

I had one of these Wollensaks, and several others, Kodak and Ilex, and a couple of cameras, a Fairchild with a Polaroid back and a custom-made 1950's 4x5 unit used by Los Alamos labs (nuclear weapons research).

The Wollensak couldn't quite cover 6x6 at infinity, as I tested on my Speed Graphic. These lenses are designed for very close focus of course, where they would have much greater coverage.

They had to be fast lenses due to slow films and low light.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My period in electronics began just after 'scopes acquired fast trigger circuitry which made the photo method largely obsolete. I don't remember seeing any of the cameras at the large corporation with hundreds of electronics engineers where I worked for several years.

Anastigmat means corrected for sa, coma, & astigmatism, i.e., the field is flat, not curved, like most (all?) Macro lenses.

The CA correction color balance seems biased toward green, as would be beneficial to photographing fast green traces...my guess.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blotafton, in fact a very good sharpness, thin DOF and a large space for experiments with BW processing. Take all your pleasure in that!

P.S. With blotafton's permission I played with the shot to see how it stands exposure and contrast play. Boosted both to get stonger accent on the eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Blotafton, in fact a very good sharpness, thin DOF and a large space for experiments with BW processing. Take all your pleasure in that!

P.S. With blotafton's permission I played with the shot to see how it stands exposure and contrast play. Boosted both to get stonger accent on the eyes.

For print this version would be the best choice, well done!

Thanks everyone for the input. @luisalegria yes you are right it's not that strange to have certain scientific equipment on a broadcasting company.
Too bad that it doesn't cover 6x6, it would be cool to put it on a Kiev 60.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the matter of coverage, since this depends on how close you focus, it could be it does cover 6x6 at portrait distance.

This is an old trick in large format where coverage problems are always a big deal due to movements. The closer your subject the bigger the image circle.

Infinity focus probably is not the best use of this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wollensak Oscillo-Anastigmat 75mm f/1.9 Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

#1 The text at the top says Belongs To The Swedish Radio. What could they have used it for?

possibly to confirm (and document, maybe for certification?) that their broadcast gear is operating properly and at the right frequencies, as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Zt_LJX1Tc

i've seen similar monitors in the studio at the local college radio station

cool stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wollensak Oscillo-Anastigmat 75mm f/1.9 Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
blotafton wrote:

possibly to confirm (and document, maybe for certification?) that their broadcast gear is operating properly and at the right frequencies, as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Zt_LJX1Tc

i've seen similar monitors in the studio at the local college radio station

cool stuff!

Very cool and interesting thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New samples with spring greenery. Lovely rendering in my opinion.

#1 Flare test.