Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is this lens - Titan 135mm f1.8 M42?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: What is this lens - Titan 135mm f1.8 M42? Reply with quote

I've come across this monster and was wondering if anyone knew who made it and what sort of quality one can expect?

It doesn't look like one of the Spiratone, Raynox Polaris or Sigmatel, so I am lost as to the origin. Comes with 18 aperture blades apparently!

Any help will be appreciated!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the style it was made by the same manufacturer who made the Vivitar 135mm f/1.5 Professional (look at the tripod mount which is also completely the same):

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_Professional_135mm_f/1.5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter!

Any other "educated guesses"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

early sigma ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clearly japanese.
I think it's made by Tokina.
Here's my Tokina 200/3.5 (Soligor rebranded) for comparision:

The rifles on the metallic ears for the aperture which can't be seen on this pic are looking identical to the rifles of the aperture ring of the Titan lens.
Some more pics of other versions which could be interesting: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=20261&view=previous
(Look at the tripod mount!)
Tokina made also a loth lenses for rebranding and also a lot lenses with T-Mount

Bye the way I just recognized that many Sigma, Konica and some old Minolta prime lenses are also looking also very very very similar to my Tokina. Did Tokina and Sigma copy this style to look like a "real Konica" lens? Or was there maybe an Japanese component supplier who made parts for all them?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:01 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Tokina made lenses to Sigma also, because my Spiratone branded 135mm f1.8 lens look like this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Tokina above looks very similar!

The built is also a bit similar to some Spiratones but not the overall construction and shape:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/spiratone-135mm-f1-8-ys.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebanator/5770329846/

Looks more like the Soligor at the bottom of this page:

http://forum.mflenses.com/finally-got-me-an-135mm-f1-8-t33823,start,15,highlight,135mm.html

But the one I am looking at seems bigger. Confused The aperture ring is also further out than the focusing ring which I've only seen on rangefinder glass...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These lenses tend to be credited to Sigma, but I bilieve there were 3 manufactorers making the 135 1.8. Sigma, Mitake, and Tokina.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the most likely candidate seems to be Tokina, not a company renowned for making fast lenses.

I am doubtful though - does anybody know of their lens made with the aperture ring in the front?

In any case I should have it in a few days and can do some tests to see what it can do!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aperture rings st the front are common on pre-set lenses like this 135. As for manufacturer, my hunch is Sigma as the focus direction is opposite of standard Tokina practice. Other suspects would be Nittoh, Tomioka or a lesser known maker like Norita.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Titan 135/1.8 sample images Reply with quote

I've shot a few images with the Titan. Not a lot because you have to be a titan to use it - it's so massive and heavy. But it is quite a nice lens if one manages to nail the focus! Here's a few images to give you a taste of what it can do - if you own another 135/1.8 it would be interesting to see how similar/different they are:

Night pic - DoF at f1.8 and ISO1600 (on NEX_5N):

Close-up and wide open portrait:

Slightly stopped down:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, nice results Smile

What is the weight of that lense ?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, a mere 1365g (that's without the tripod mount and the camera, in case you were wondering).

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I hold a zoom lens in my hands on a flea market which looked very similar. It was labeled with Raynox Polaris .

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there was a 135/1.8 made under that label but it looks rather different to this one. The Raynox seems much more stout for instance:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Titan 135/1.8 sample images Reply with quote

DanielT74 wrote:
I've shot a few images with the Titan. Not a lot because you have to be a titan to use it

lol Laughing but the results are looking quite good! Rolling Eyes now you made me think my smc takumar with its f2.5 is not so badass after all Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel. This an old post but let's try. I've been sending PMs, but looks like they don't reach you. Do you still have this lens, and would you sell it ? Please PM me. Thanks a lot !

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Hi Daniel. This an old post but let's try. I've been sending PMs, but looks like they don't reach you. Do you still have this lens, and would you sell it ? Please PM me. Thanks a lot !

Don't think so. Maybe this is him. https://www.instagram.com/danielt74/ There is also a member by that name on pentaxforums. Hasn't logged in since 2015.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW here are two images shot with the Spiratone 135mm f1.8. Quality is decent by not terribly sharp

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kymarto, were these shot wide open ?? I find them very good...

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="D1N0"][quote="Phalbert"]Hi Daniel. This an old post but let's try. I've been sending PMs, but looks like they don't reach you. Do you still have this lens, and would you sell it ? Please PM me. Thanks a lot ![/quote]

Don't think so. Maybe this is him. https://www.instagram.com/danielt74/ There is also a member by that name on pentaxforums. Hasn't logged in since 2015.[/quote]

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Hi Kymarto, were these shot wide open ?? I find them very good...

They are wide open. Viewing close the lens never gets really sharp, but spherical aberration is well corrected and micro contrast is good.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Toby! Have a similar one (Porst 1.8/135mm), quite decent actually, better than expected...