Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

yashinon semiautomatic 50/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: yashinon semiautomatic 50/2 Reply with quote

I found this lens in a shop.

Is it good?

May be a tomioka made lens?

Any experience?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: yashinon semiautomatic 50/2 Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Is it good?

Any experience?

There is a review over at Pentax Forums which likens it to the Auto Takumar.
It also mentions Tomioka.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/yashica-auto-yashinon-5cm-f2-semi-auto.html

I don't have this lens, but I did have the Yashinon DX 50mm f2 ..... perhaps they are the same optics, I do not know.
The DX lens is splendid.

Last edited by Oldhand on Thu May 21, 2020 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. Like it a lot. It has good 3d-pop and strong bokeh outlines that can lead to busy bokeh. But I like that. Edge sharpness is not so good though.
Similar lenses when it comes to rendering are Helios 77M and Pancolar 50mm f/1.8.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same lens was sold as a Tominon lens, with minor exterior differences. It was sold with the Wards SLR-600 camera, which was a rebadged Yashica camera that is said to be a hybrid, with some features of each of the J3 and J4 cameras. So, reasonable evidence to assume Tomioka manufacture.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried two Yashinon in the past and keep a Tominon copy. Excellent lens!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the DX version, i really like this one:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomioka was bought by Yashica in 1968, but they probably cooperated already before that year. It probably still exists as the optical division within Kyocera. https://global.kyocera.com/prdct/optec/ But in the seventies and early eighties it was still a largely independent operator. I don't know whether Yashica had it's own lens making facility or not.

If it is the early one with the switch, here is a gallery. (not mine) https://www.flickr.com/photos/95859572@N06/albums/72157713444515197

The later DX/DS versions were probably different designs. (Because 20 years younger).

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
I have the DX version, i really like this one:

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: yashinon semiautomatic 50/2 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:

Is it good?

Any experience?

There is a review over at Pentax Forums which likens it to the Auto Takumar.
It also mentions Tomioka.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/yashica-auto-yashinon-5cm-f2-semi-auto.html

I don't have this lens, but I did have the Yashinon DX 50mm f2 ..... perhaps they are the same optics, I do not know.
The DX lens is splendid.

Thanks Tom.

Really is an old "tack sharp" Lens. In the way of the hardest rendering

Very good contrast. Specially being a single coated lens of the c.1960/1963

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
I have one. Like it a lot. It has good 3d-pop and strong bokeh outlines that can lead to busy bokeh. But I like that. Edge sharpness is not so good though.
Similar lenses when it comes to rendering are Helios 77M and Pancolar 50mm f/1.8.

Thanks blotafton.

Two very good lenses, of course.

The images taken with the yashinon showed me that the bokeh is decent to me

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

The same lens was sold as a Tominon lens, with minor exterior differences. It was sold with the Wards SLR-600 camera, which was a rebadged Yashica camera that is said to be a hybrid, with some features of each of the J3 and J4 cameras. So, reasonable evidence to assume Tomioka manufacture.

Thank you, Alun Thomas.

The camera Wards was unknowed to me.
And yes, Tomioka seems to be the maker

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Tried two Yashinon in the past and keep a Tominon copy. Excellent lens!

Thanks calvin83.

In the net I watched some pics taken with the yashinon and they are as nice (better?) as those taken with my rollei planar hft 50/1,8

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tomasg

IT's a pleasure to me to watch your pics

As I commented before, find similar rendering than the rollei hft 50/1,8.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Tomioka was bought by Yashica in 1968, but they probably cooperated already before that year. It probably still exists as the optical division within Kyocera. https://global.kyocera.com/prdct/optec/ But in the seventies and early eighties it was still a largely independent operator. I don't know whether Yashica had it's own lens making facility or not.

If it is the early one with the switch, here is a gallery. (not mine) https://www.flickr.com/photos/95859572@N06/albums/72157713444515197

The later DX/DS versions were probably different designs. (Because 20 years younger).

Thank you D1N0

Yes, the DX version has 6/5 scheme (not 6/4 like the plane Auto has)
So we can wait for better corners rendering, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Thanks tomasg

I probably already showed these then, i guess Rolling Eyes Smile

I can t compare it to the Rollei 50/1.8 because i don t have it, it s one of those lenses i keep "on my radar" looking for a cheaper copy with problems, like hard focusing or oily/sticky blades.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
papasito wrote:
Thanks tomasg

I can t compare it to the Rollei 50/1.8 because i don t have it, it s one of those lenses i keep "on my radar" looking for a cheaper copy with problems, like hard focusing or oily/sticky blades.

I didn't see your pics before. Very nice ones. I have to say.

A long time ago (near 1987) I bought a Rolleiflex sl 35 E, and my option was with the Rolleinar MC 55/1,4 LENS.
I did not like The planar hft 50/1,8 cos IT's poor mechanical fame.
At this time almost all were looking for a good Icarex with the Ultron 50/1,8.

Looking at some pics taken with the rollei hft and with the voigtlander's ultron concave first element, I can't see any important difference.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 YASHINON normals, the 50/2.8 preset in M42 and the 55/1.8 in Pentamatic, both are wonderfully made and have great IQ, both made by Tomioka I think even though the 3.5cm f2.8 & 10cm f2.8 both are Pentamatic and say Super YASHINON Tominon and the normals do not, the build quality is very similar.
The 3.5cm is one of my most favourite lenses in my collection.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
tomasg wrote:
papasito wrote:
Thanks tomasg

I didn't see your pics before. Very nice ones. I have to say.

A long time ago (near 1987) I bought a Rolleiflex sl 35 E, and my option was with the Rolleinar MC 55/1,4 LENS.
I did not like The planar hft 50/1,8 cos IT's poor mechanical fame.
At this time almost all were looking for a good Icarex with the Ultron 50/1,8.

Looking at some pics taken with the rollei hft and with the voigtlander's ultron concave first element, I can't see any important difference.

Thank you, i took them on an evening walk the day i CLA-ed the lens including removing some fungus, if i remember correctly i paid 25 eur for it.

I have the Ultron 50 f1.8, it really is a good lens, when i ll have time i ll do a small comparison with a Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 50/1.9 and a CZ Planar 50/1.4, two other fifties i like lot.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that comparison .

About the Xenon 50/1,9, how does it perform in the CA department?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Although i never did a "controlled" comparison, we have a telescope in front of the desk where i work on the lenses that has chromed "buttons", i always take pictures of them before/after the CLA of the lenses, these buttons also have good details on them (like scratches on the surface) to check for sharpness. The Xenon is almost "completly" devoided of any CA (at least in the center), for sure the better coreccted among the three lenses mentioned above. By memory i would say is also better than any other 50 mm i have, but i ll do a few quick comparisons.

We went very off topic here Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
papasito wrote:

Although i never did a "controlled" comparison, we have a telescope in front of the desk where i work on the lenses that has chromed "buttons", i always take pictures of them before/after the CLA of the lenses, these buttons also have good details on them (like scratches on the surface) to check for sharpness. The Xenon is almost "completly" devoided of any CA (at least in the center), for sure the better coreccted among the three lenses mentioned above. By memory i would say is also better than any other 50 mm i have, but i ll do a few quick comparisons.

Thank you. Tomasg.

I apologice for ask off the topic.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
tomasg wrote:
papasito wrote:

Thank you. Tomasg.

I apologice for ask off the topic.

Please no need to apologize, i thought that the OP might not like it. i ll post the "test" in a new thread when i ll do it.