Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujian 35mm F/1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Fujian 35mm F/1.7 Reply with quote

I've had my eye on this for ages and when I realised it would work on my NEX-5 as well as my G1 I just couldn't resist any more!

I haven't used it much yet, only got it today but it seems a very decent lens all things considered.

Wide open the sharpness understandably fades as you go towards the edges but the centre is razor sharp, highlight bokeh is funky and swirly with cat's eyes at the edges and non highlight bokeh is nice and smooth.

The only negative aspect is the built quality is slightly low with the rubber grips being especially poor but overall it's quite astonishing how decent this lens is considering it cost £18

Watch out, SLR magic sell this lens with minor cosmetic tweaks and a native mount for $129

They also sell the fujian 25mm also with slight tweaks for $109, you can get the regular version for about £15!

Just one quick test snap and a 100% crop for now

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tip! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't we talked about this lens several times here?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that lens. It's an amazing "normal" lens for the NEX for very little money!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost hard to believe how good it is for the money, it just shows that many lenses are way overpriced. It's not perfect but it's as good many lenses that have an extra zero on the price tag!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I've noticed with mine is that the edges are terrible, even stopped down! Great for low light portraits though Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Only thing I've noticed with mine is that the edges are terrible, even stopped down! Great for low light portraits though Smile

Well, it's a c-mount lens after all, developed for a much smaller image circle than APS. I am really happy that it covers the NEX sensor!
Of course, this lens cannot be a genuine alternative to a Summicron 35 Wink, but at that price (and I mean the "real" price Wink), every NEX owner should have one.

I also have got the 1.4/25 but that one does not cover the sensor...

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fujian 35mm F/1.7 Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:

Wide open the sharpness understandably fades as you go towards the edges but the centre is razor sharp,

I've also bought the lens for about 35€ (incl. adapter), but my copy is nowhere sharp at all wide open, even if I focus 100% correctly and stop down the aperture a little. So this lens seems a lot of quality spreading. A nice fun lens to play around though, because of the nice vignetting and funky bokeh.

Here are some shots I made yesterday night on a party. All wide open on a NEX.

All exept the last are out-of-the-cam JPEGs

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is designed for 1mp HD CCTV. The best copies will be sharp in the centre but the worse copies will never be sharp. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
This lens is designed for 1mp HD CCTV. The best copies will be sharp in the centre but the worse copies will never be sharp. Laughing

Towards the edges this lens gets very "special" and it is really prone to flare - but still, I like it a lot. And my copy is definitely sharp in the centre.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Fat Dee Man!!!! Reply with quote

Exactly! Cool

Cheap and cheerful and multiple bodies to offer choice with each lens. My philosophy exactly! Razz

Thanks for the report. We have discussed these cheap Chin/Han lenses before, but more information, especially pics, enables us to see the range of quality in a run. Their QC is poor. SLRMagic may be better at it and flog off the rejects or return them to factory? Their premium might then be justifiable and the OP did them justice to a degree. Laughing

We have to expect quality differences in the early stages and every report helps those of us who want this lens, either with or without faults. As someone who can find any post difficult to make, I also like that someone can make the effort! Twisted Evil

Someone should keep score on how many reach this high standard! They are definitely value for money if usable on both sensor formats.
Cool Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got another copy! It seems to slightly sharper in the centre.
First is wide open, the second I don't remember, but I think also wide open.

The bokeh behind close objects is insane

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the second one, these cheaper c mount lenses have such crazy edge performance it almost gives the impression you are using a much much faster lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First tests on a Nex
I used it previously with a G1, but it's even better with the NEX ;
A twenty box wonder Wink

(pp on this one)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These lenses are such good value, but in fact, due to quality issues and their popularity, it would be good to buy several examples from different vendors at different times.

The lovely soft focus ones are ideal for flattering moody portraits esp in low light.

Some of the others would be very interesting if they hit their intended performance limits? Tweaking these lenses might also alter their performance?

Selling on, would be easy with a few examples of that precise lens pics. Keep two or three for your own use.

I agree that most c mount lenses are overpriced. However, that does not mean they will not increase in price!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know... I've had a bit of annoyance regarding the Fujian lenses because new users keep confusing it with the excellent Fujinon-TV c-mount lenses, and the edge softness is so apparent. But the images posted in this thread make me appreciate it as a fun, cheap lens that covers the APS-C sensor.

Out of curiosity, what other c-mount lenses cover the NEX sensor? Do you think, for instance, a Fujinon-TV 35mm/f1.7 model CF35 for 1" video will cover the NEX sensor?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekoe wrote:

Out of curiosity, what other c-mount lenses cover the NEX sensor? Do you think, for instance, a Fujinon-TV 35mm/f1.7 model CF35 for 1" video will cover the NEX sensor?

Well, the little brother of the Fujian 1.7/35, the 1.4/25 doesn't. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if these perform any better on the new Nex, which seems to give better corner performance from wide lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use fujian 35/1.7 with nex3,its a lot fun with this tiny lens

flickr.com/photos/anakangin

Last edited by angin on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:37 am; edited 13 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took this yesterday with the fujian Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angin wrote:
i use fujian 35/1.7 with nex3,its a lot fun with this tiny lens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China has, not yet, taken Mt Fuji!

The naming is deliberate, but we lack locus standi to sue for the confusion!

The longer lens certainly has the better performance, but since they both are produced in the thousands still, I have neglected to buy them, despite 'watching' them for years!

The NEX has a good chance of minimal vignetting, but as the admirable Nordentro shows, the lens has good bang per buck, albeit on m4/3.
Even 1/2 inch sensor lenses, 8mm is actually very similar in coverage, will work at 38mm and above, at least for some lenses. I am just buying a D to c mount converter:-

Click here to see on Ebay

I wish to establish this for a navitar and a raptar, both 1.5 inches in FL.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the NEX, I would say try the Fujian. If it pleases then keep but selling it will be easy, as m4/3 would know and other NEX users might like the effects evident on exemplars posted with the advert?

I am a great advocate of the fact that individual lenses differ greatly in some cases where QC is poor, as in China and DDR and USSR. Some offer clearly superior results even probably as to coverage although a mm is small in m4/3 and even APS sensors that can make a difference! So buy two or three at different times!

Always choose a vendor who has many sales over a newer one even if the newer one is cheaper. Another poster and I were customers of Cowy7 who like too many, absconded with $$$ one Xmas!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can these Fujian C-mount lenses be purchased?