Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Cine Ektar 25mm 1.9 on fullframe
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Kodak Cine Ektar 25mm 1.9 on fullframe Reply with quote

Just for fun I tested a Cine Ektar 25mm as a macro lens on my Sony a7.

First a few shots of the lens that has a beautiful design.

The shots were taken stopped down to f/8.

#6 small crop

#7 small crop

#8 small crop

#9 Close crop of #8

#10 uncroped

#11 uncroped

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it 👍

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kodak Cine Ektar 25mm 1.9 on fullframe Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

#6 small crop

Great shots! Like 1

I get it that this lens probably doesn't deliver what many macro-shooters want (which often seems to be good sharpness across the whole frame and minimal distortion) but I personally really like to use lenses like that for shots where the subject is in the center or reasonably close to it. I recently used a Friedrich S-Coronar 25 mm f/1.4 (which might be somewhat similar to your Ektar) quite a lot and had so much fun with it in the way described. I mostly used it around f/2.8 to f/4 though, which seems to be the sweet spot for that lens and just focus-stacked if I wanted more in focus. I would recommend trying that with the Cine Ektar as well, if you haven't already. Did you use it reversed? I would recommend that as well.

As I've mentioned to you before I also really love how that lens looks - it's really beautiful and looks like it's very well made.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice "organic" and mood shots. Long live the spirit of experimentation!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kodak Cine Ektar 25mm 1.9 on fullframe Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
blotafton wrote:

#6 small crop

Great shots! Like 1

I get it that this lens probably doesn't deliver what many macro-shooters want (which often seems to be good sharpness across the whole frame and minimal distortion) but I personally really like to use lenses like that for shots where the subject is in the center or reasonably close to it. I recently used a Friedrich S-Coronar 25 mm f/1.4 (which might be somewhat similar to your Ektar) quite a lot and had so much fun with it in the way described. I mostly used it around f/2.8 to f/4 though, which seems to be the sweet spot for that lens and just focus-stacked if I wanted more in focus. I would recommend trying that with the Cine Ektar as well, if you haven't already. Did you use it reversed? I would recommend that as well.

As I've mentioned to you before I also really love how that lens looks - it's really beautiful and looks like it's very well made.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah it's fun to experiment with these things that had another purpose originally. I saw some of the shots you took with that S-Coronar that looked cool and remembered that I had Cine Kodak Royal Magazine stashed away that could be interesting to test. I didn't test it before because of the mount. I thought it was going to have C-mount but it had a another mount.

But with some tape it could be fitted to a m42 extension ring and helicoid adapter. I'm not sure if it will work reversed because the front element is deep in the barrel. But it's worth trying.

I never got into focus stacking and don't know how it works unfortunately. You need to get special software right? I can imagine it's a great tool to have with these super close-ups.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Very nice "organic" and mood shots. Long live the spirit of experimentation!

caspert79 wrote:
I like it 👍

Thanks guys!