Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 90mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 (Komine)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 90mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 (Komine) Reply with quote

Another lens i got around 8-9 years ago, and i never really used that much, so went out armed with the lens today
My copy was like brand new, and i doubt if it was ever used.
I recall i paid around £30 for the lens many years ago

Colours are glorious IMHO
Difficult lens to use handheld, focus will go with the slightest of breaths
Lens goes 1:1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very happy with that. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 90mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 (Komine) Reply with quote

Nice ones!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job.
I especially like the barbed wire, looks like fingers wrapping around the other wires.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 90mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 (Komine) Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Another lens i got around 8-9 years ago, and i never really used that much, so went out armed with the lens today

Is this the lens you have?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-90mm-f2-8-macro.html

Which mount is yours?

Does it vignette at 1:1 (mine does, it has Minolta SR/MC/MD mount).

Best regards from Sweden / Anders

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 90mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 (Komine) Reply with quote

lattesweden wrote:
eddieitman wrote:

Which mount is yours?

Yes that is my lens. I don't notice it doing that, mine is M42, but is on a Full Frame camera, most of these are taken at 1:1

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 90mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 (Komine) Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
lattesweden wrote:
eddieitman wrote:

Which mount is yours?

Yes that is my lens. I don't notice it doing that, mine is M42, but is on a Full Frame camera, most of these are taken at 1:1

Thanks for the info!

I started with photography in 1980. Since my father shot with a Minolta system, I got me a XG-1 body and used his lenses. He didn't have any macro lens though, but I found one in 1981 used in a camera shop and the focusing rubber had a crack and I am fairly sure they also told me about the vignetting problem back then already. I got the lens dirt cheap.

After I moved on to Nikon in 1982 my father kept this lens but I got it and a lot of other of his old Minolta stuff from him a couple of years ago. Even the receipt on this lens was included so that is why I know I got it dirt cheap.

I have come to the conclusion that it isn't anything wrong with my copy, most likely all Minolta SR/MC/MD mounted versions do the vignetting at 1:1 (when the lens is the furthest out from the body). And the reason I think so is that Minolta has the aperture closing lever that needs to be linked from the mount all the way to the lens elements way up front. For some reason and since this lens is made to fit many mounts then the tube diameter (which has the aperture lever mechanism under it) gets to narrow in the Minolta mount version causing the vignetting.

But it would be nice to know if my theory is correct. If you have the time and energy I would appreciate if you could take some pictures how the back of your lens looks and how the tube from the mount at the back that leads up to the rear lens looks as well as measure the diameter of the tube.

More about the vignetting I get is documented here:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59731557

Images I have shot with my copy on my A7RII here:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59773796

Thanks and best regards from Sweden! / Anders