Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some test images Mamiya EF 50mm f/3.5 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Some test images Mamiya EF 50mm f/3.5 macro Reply with quote

Overcast day, but I decided to take the lens out anyway. Not very inspirational images, but want to show what the lens is like. Camera: Sony A7R2. Double click for better quality and full resolution.

MamiyaEF5035macro_6 by devoscasper, on Flickr

MamiyaEF5035macro_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Very, very good detail at infinity, note that this is a 42+ mp image.

MamiyaEF5035macro_5 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Nice bokeh.

MamiyaEF5035macro_2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Will add macro images at a later moment. Unfortunately I cannot completely open the aperture with Fotodiox Pro adapter, perhaps because this lens has an extra stop (f/22) whereas the other Mamiya E(F) lenses go to f/16 only. Maybe I will buy a second adapter and do some tweaking.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Some test images Mamiya EF 50mm f/3.5 macro Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Nice bokeh.

It confirms that Mamiya did build some very good normal lenses back then. We know the Sekor EF 1.4/50mm is the best vintage normal lens I'm aware of ("best" in the sense of "most detail at infinity"), better than Zeiss CY, better than Nikkor Ai and Canon nFD, better than Olympus and Minolta MC/MD. The earlier m42 Sekor 2/50mm and 1.8/55mm are vey good as well, and this EF certainly is "high res", too. It would be interesting to see whether the other 3.5/50mm macro lenses are as good at infinity. Around 1:5 there was no big difference between those f3.5 macro lenses ...

caspert79 wrote:
Unfortunately I cannot completely open the aperture with Fotodiox Pro adapter, perhaps because this lens has an extra stop (f/22) whereas the other Mamiya E(F) lenses go to f/16 only.

My Fotodiox Pro "ZE-Sony E" adapter has no such problems when combined with the Sekor E 3.5/50mm (not an EF though, but that should make no difference)

caspert79 wrote:
Maybe I will buy a second adapter and do some tweaking.

First try some tweaking ... Wink

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice images.
Other than a C-220, and C-330, I have very limited experience with Mamiya glass.
Those TLR's were soon dropped in favor of 6 X 6 SLR's that were other makes.

I have been doing the occasional townscape myself lately with an older Micro-Nikkor P 55mm f3.5.
I'll get a few up here somewhere later.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Those are nice images.
Other than a C-220, and C-330, I have very limited experience with Mamiya glass.
Those TLR's were soon dropped in favor of 6 X 6 SLR's that were other makes.

I have been doing the occasional townscape myself lately with an older Micro-Nikkor P 55mm f3.5.
I'll get a few up here somewhere later.

-D.S.

A friend of mine had a Mamiya C-330 when I was a student. I was always impressed by his results.

Cheap Mamiya glass that I can highly recommend:
- Mamiya/ Sekor 50mm f/2
- Mamiya/ Sekor 55mm f/1.8 (also the SX)
- Mamiya/ Sekor SX 135mm f/2.8
- Mamiya/ Sekor E(F) 50mm f/1.7
- Mamiya/ Sekor E(F) 50mm f/1.4
- Mamiya/ Sekor 645 300mm f/5.6

The 50mm f/3.5 macro is hard to find.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Some test images Mamiya EF 50mm f/3.5 macro Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Nice bokeh.

It confirms that Mamiya did build some very good normal lenses back then. We know the Sekor EF 1.4/50mm is the best vintage normal lens I'm aware of ("best" in the sense of "most detail at infinity"), better than Zeiss CY, better than Nikkor Ai and Canon nFD, better than Olympus and Minolta MC/MD. The earlier m42 Sekor 2/50mm and 1.8/55mm are vey good as well, and this EF certainly is "high res", too. It would be interesting to see whether the other 3.5/50mm macro lenses are as good at infinity. Around 1:5 there was no big difference between those f3.5 macro lenses ...

caspert79 wrote:
Unfortunately I cannot completely open the aperture with Fotodiox Pro adapter, perhaps because this lens has an extra stop (f/22) whereas the other Mamiya E(F) lenses go to f/16 only.

My Fotodiox Pro "ZE-Sony E" adapter has no such problems when combined with the Sekor E 3.5/50mm (not an EF though, but that should make no difference)

caspert79 wrote:
Maybe I will buy a second adapter and do some tweaking.

First try some tweaking ... Wink

S

I have the sx 50/1,8 and another very good lens, the Zeiss Ultron 50/1,8 Icarex and the 50/1,8 Planar hft (among others good pnes).

Has anyone experience using the mamiya and Ultron or Planar hft lenses? Compare them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Some test images Mamiya EF 50mm f/3.5 macro Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

I have the sx 50/1,8 and another very good lens, the Zeiss Ultron 50/1,8 Icarex and the 50/1,8 Planar hft (among others good pnes).
Has anyone experience using the mamiya and Ultron or Planar hft lenses? Compare them?

You have them ... please do something for the community and compare them Wink

Steve

PS I have the SX 1.8/55 and the Planar HFT 1.8/50, but no Rollei => Sony E adapter. Never had a Voigtländer Color-Ultron 1.8/50 though ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some images in the macro range. Please click for full size / quality.

MamiyaE5035macro_1bw by devoscasper, on Flickr

MamiyaE5035macro by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very, very good

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Like 1

That's a wonderful shot - excellent work!

Has anyone here compared this lens to the Canon Macro Lens FD 50 mm f/3.5? Would be interesting to see how it fares against that one...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Like 1

Has anyone here compared this lens to the Canon Macro Lens FD 50 mm f/3.5? Would be interesting to see how it fares against that one...

Thank you, I’m planning to do a comparison soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Like 1

+1