Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 for close-ups
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 for close-ups Reply with quote

Back to a well regarded lens and using it in a less common application, i.e. not for landscapes but for close-ups.

Shots #2 and #3 are taken at MFD. Also "punchy" after a simple BW conversion, as #5 shows.

Sony Nex, apertures f2.8 and f4, then autocontrast and minor exposure / contrast tweaks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You show it as what it supposedly is, a very nice lens. One I have not been able to find at a relative bargain price. I will keep looking...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you should be very lucky to have this lens as is quite rare find.

with a 40/1.8 in the pocket - just very nice lightweight setup for every day photography

(*jealous*)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY like the Konica 24mm 2.8.. I bought several. I have 2 copies of the very highly regarded f22 calculation one that is very nearly mint with mint case and near mint cap and another that I use pretty frequently its in good shape but has enough wear that the gentle use i subject my lenses to will not reduce its value much.i also have 4 of the earlier f16 versions. One is for sale on ebay right now. I give forum members a 10% discount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266092919181

I must say I really like your images Alex. You do this fine optic justice!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
i also have 4 of the earlier f16 versions. One is for sale on ebay right now. I give forum members a 10% discount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266092919181

Ouch - seems to be petty expensive elsewhere. The AR 2.8/24mm lenses go for <100 CHF (USD/EUR) here in Switzerland ...

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I REALLY like the Konica 24mm 2.8.. I bought several. I have 2 copies of the very highly regarded f22 calculation one that is very nearly mint with mint case and near mint cap and another that I use pretty frequently its in good shape but has enough wear that the gentle use i subject my lenses to will not reduce its value much.i also have 4 of the earlier f16 versions. ...

Which of the two versions do you prefer and why? Are there significant optical differences between them, being different optical designs?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:
I REALLY like the Konica 24mm 2.8.. I bought several. I have 2 copies of the very highly regarded f22 calculation one that is very nearly mint with mint case and near mint cap and another that I use pretty frequently its in good shape but has enough wear that the gentle use i subject my lenses to will not reduce its value much.i also have 4 of the earlier f16 versions. ...

Which of the two versions do you prefer and why? Are there significant optical differences between them, being different optical designs?

Here you are! First 100% crops from the center 0f 24MP A7II (EDIT: left crop is Var I, right crop is the compact newer Var II):
(CLICK TWICE ON THE IMAGE TO GET FULL RESOLUTION)

The older Konica AR 2.8/24mm (I) ist softer and clearly has some LoCAs (purple fringing) even oin these low contrast conditions. The newer compact Konica AR 2.8/24mm (II) has a very good center even at f2.8.

Corners are next, from 24 MP A7II as well:
(EDIT: left crops are Var I, right crops are the compact newer Var II.
Wide open at the top row, f5.6 at the midle row, and f11 at the lower row
)

Color correction is different - the newer and smaller 2.8/24mm (II) has much stronger CAs (probably the strongest lateral CA from any OEM 2.8/24mm from the early 1980s). Corner resolution is petty good, but not outstanding. Lenses such as the MD-III 2.8/24mm and the nFD 2.8/24mm are better.

S

Last edited by stevemark on Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you fellows for your kind words! When a wide lens works so good in close field, that makes a special pleasure.

If you wish to fish a decent or slightly fungused copy for a smaller price, look at local forums in your country. They are not always there, this is for certain. Still, if they come you may have one for half of what they are traded for in ebay. I presume, in Switzerland you may catch even a better chance, as Stephan describes his bounty hunting.

Stephan, thank you for the direct comparison of the two versions. It is well demonstrative, as always. Just one question. In your second (corners) comparison, the right side has a much more visible purple fringing, while the left side has very little of it. Is the sequence kept up: the older version is on the left and the newer on the right?

A couple more shots from the same set:

And here is an "unfair" presentation of the older version of the lens, with an image put through Nik Silver pipeline which lets a huge improvement of sharpness and contrast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

Stephan, thank you for the direct comparison of the two versions. It is well demonstrative, as always. Just one question. In your second (corners) comparison, the right side has a much more visible purple fringing, while the left side has very little of it. Is the sequence kept up: the older version is on the left and the newer on the right?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the technical details. I've edited my posting correspondingly.

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both versions are quite good. The F22 version is slightly smaller. I would imagine a bit better coatings. But either one will take marvelous photographs in the hands of a decent photographer. If you are looking for that last little bit of IQ and have the money certainly geothermal F22 version. Most images most of the time you would be hard pressed to tell the difference without pixel peeping.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Here you are! First 100% crops from the center 0f 24MP A7II (EDIT: left crop is Var I, right crop is the compact newer Var II):

The older Konica AR 2.8/24mm (I) ist softer and clearly has some LoCAs (purple fringing) even oin these low contrast conditions. The newer compact Konica AR 2.8/24mm (II) has a very good center even at f2.8.

Corners are next, from 24 MP A7II as well:
(EDIT: left crops are Var I, right crops are the compact newer Var II.
Wide open at the top row, f5.6 at the midle row, and f11 at the lower row
)

Color correction is different - the newer and smaller 2.8/24mm (II) has much stronger CAs (probably the strongest lateral CA from any OEM 2.8/24mm from the early 1980s). Corner resolution is petty good, but not outstanding. Lenses such as the MD-III 2.8/24mm and the nFD 2.8/24mm are better.

S

Thanks. That's very interesting. I'm assuming that these tests were from your best copies. The older F16 version performs OK and as it has less CA looks quite good. The CA/PF on the F22 version is a bit much, despite looking sharper overall.

I had the F22 version briefly and shot a few tests with it. My F22 version looked pretty much like yours in terms of the way the CA presented in the corners. It had very strong purple fringing with some yellow at the adjacent edges. I suppose it is Lateral CA although the Purple fringing seemed quite severe. My copy was significantly decentered or tilted and was significantly sharper on one side that the other. I suppose I'm debating whether to try another copy, and if so, which version.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:

Thanks. That's very interesting. I'm assuming that these tests were from your best copies. The older F16 version performs OK and as it has less CA looks quite good. The CA/PF on the F22 version is a bit much, despite looking sharper overall.

I have two copies of each lens. In a quick-and-dirty comparison the two samples of each computation did perform identically, even though my second sample of the Ar 2.8/24mm "Compact" looks a bit battered.

jjphoto wrote:
I had the F22 version briefly and shot a few tests with it. My F22 version looked pretty much like yours in terms of the way the CA presented in the corners. It had very strong purple fringing with some yellow at the adjacent edges. I suppose it is Lateral CA although the Purple fringing seemed quite severe.

good to hear that you found the same weaknesses of the design as I did.

jjphoto wrote:
My copy was significantly decentered or tilted and was significantly sharper on one side that the other. I suppose I'm debating whether to try another copy, and if so, which version.

That's a pity. I had similar issues with many of my earllier Konica zoom lenses (such as the huge AR 3.5/80-200), but not so with Konica AR primes.

S