Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kuribayashi C.C. Petri 1:3.5 f=135mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Kuribayashi C.C. Petri 1:3.5 f=135mm Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slightly unusual lens I haven't seen marked as Kuribayashi, although it does seem to exist under various other badges from the era. It must have been sold perhaps the following season after they stopped selling the Kyoei/Orikkor 135/3.5 lenses. It has an M42 mount, so was probably still sold while the original penta camera was current.
I have 3 other lenses from near that period, a 300/5.5, a 200/3.5 and a 135/2.8. They all have the matching green marker on the preset, the same as the first generation of Orikkor marked lenses. I'm not at home currently so can't confirm whether they were marked with Kuribayashi on the name ring or not. All three of them are actually M42 mount lenses (but not with any kind of threaded adapter i.e. T2 or other) and all came with an M42-Petri mount adapter, making me think they were sold during the period when the first generation of Petri mount cameras went on sale, to enable use with either of the two cameras Petri owners might have.
I think it was shortly after that, when Petri stopped marking their interchangeable lenses with the Kuribayashi and Orikkor names. The second Petri 50/2 lens (Petri mount) was marked with Kuribayashi but not Orikkor, then the subsequent Petri 'normal' lens, the 55/1.8, was marked Petri Camera Co.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kyoei lenses were very distinctive in that they had the depth of focus guide 'above' the focus ring on the lens. If I had to guess, I would think your lens is an early Tokina, based mainly on the markings, particularly the IR mark, of the depth of focus scale. They seem to have been using the same optical formula for the 135/3.5 right up until at least the T4 lenses in the early 70s. Having said that, I've also seen the exact same depth of focus scale, on lenses I was certain were made by a different manufacturer. For instance: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Galaxy-Telephoto-Lens-f-135mm-1-3-5/143521001077?hash=item216a84ae75:g:xYgAAOSwCXVeNaHt

The lens at that link I would normally assume to have been made by Itoh. Things like that make it near impossible sometimes to really pin down the maker of a lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pictures of the versions I have. None of these ones have 'Kuribayashi' written on them. The only common design feature is the green alignment arrow on the preset aperture. They don't share a common focus mark, focus scale colour, or even focus direction. They are probably from a period after your lens, but perhaps before Petri introduced their 135/3.8, 135/3.5 and 200/4 automatic lenses. The 135 has an M42-Petri adapter, and a T2-M42 adapter as well. The 200 and 300 lenses have the same style T2-Petri adapter.