Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Macro Photo 20mm 1:3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Canon Macro Photo 20mm 1:3.5 Reply with quote

Bellows Lens Sample Photos

Canon Macro Photo 20mm 1:3.5

Weeping Cherry in Spring

Framed in APS-C Mounted to Vivitar Macro converter (lens corrective)

Region of Interest

A dozen or so dust spots were removed with photoshop and the camera was a6000.

Lighting Indoor Studio
1 200Ws strobe in an octa softbox dish and diffused roughly 1/2 power
1 75Ws speedlight in a strip softbox dish and diffused 1/1 power

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:48 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been interested in this lens ever since I came across listings for it in the backs of photo magazines back in the 80s. Never pulled the trigger on one, though. Wish I would have. It's nice to see what actual images look like from that lens.

I'm curious -- what did you have the lens stopped down to for the above shot? Are you mounting it to a bellows?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I've been interested in this lens ever since I came across listings for it in the backs of photo magazines back in the 80s. Never pulled the trigger on one, though. Wish I would have. It's nice to see what actual images look like from that lens.

Yes, it was a lucky catch I guess you could say. I have dropped out of many bids looking for this lens.

cooltouch wrote:

I'm curious -- what did you have the lens stopped down to for the above shot?

Are you mounting it to a bellows?

This photo was not stopped down.

I haven't see the charts for this lens, but I would assume the resolution degrades when stopped down. Typically, I do not stop down on macro photos for that reason. Make the best of the limited depth of field.

This photo was taken with the Vivitar Macro converter, but I also have the PB-4 and PB-5 which I have also tested with this lens.

However, I am interested in a stacking setup. From my initial impression a stacker could be built from surplus 3D printer parts.

Revision: The above photo was actually taken mounted to a lens corrective Vivitar Macro converter in FD mount. The lens has since been attached to a Nikon bellows. Regards.

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent catch! I have it an its 35mm sister lens, both are excellent dedicated macro lenses!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it's nice.

Maybe you could briefly comment as to why they are completely different optical schemas and leave it at that.

I plan to add a few more samples to this 20mm thread.

kds315* wrote:
Excellent catch! I have it an its 35mm sister lens, both are excellent dedicated macro lenses!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely little lens. There's a few of my pictures with it here; http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-20mm-f3-5-macrophoto-lens-t79674,highlight,%2Bcanon+%2B20mm.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMC wrote:
Lovely little lens. There's a few of my pictures with it here; http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-20mm-f3-5-macrophoto-lens-t79674,highlight,%2Bcanon+%2B20mm.html

You did one better than me and connected this lens directly to the camera with the least possible extension. Wink

I probably would have done the same had I not used the Vivitar adapter.

Another sample with the Vivitar Macro adapter (intended for the 90mm f2.5 lens to obtain 1:1).

With APS-C and the metabones Sony adapter and the Vivitar adapter this lens gives a portrait frame width of ~5.5mm. If it was marketed for 8mm film duplication then the result is not far off.

Weeping Cherry

~5.5mm wide

Crop from above. Shallow depth of field wide open

~5.5mm wide

Crop from above.

~5.5mm wide

Crop from above

~5.5mm wide

Crop from above