Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Uncommon Lens Caps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's come to my attention that my EXA caps are too shallow for some RE Topcor lenses such as the Topcor 58/1.4, so I'm going to make a deeper cap to accommodate them and I'm hopeful that the design will also work with my Mamiya Prismat Canon OM 50/1.9 lens that uses another variant of the EXA mount.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YO !!!! Pentax Pete is VERY HAPPY ! I LOST my PENTAX 6x7 Lens Cap at Warley Wildlife reserve during the trip I organised for members of Brentwood Photographic Club -- TODAY a letter arrived with a 'Hard Object' inside -- it was my LENS CAP found by 'James' of Shenfield near Brentwood Town Centre !! I Practice What I Preach ! I Tell Club members to 'Stick your NAME and ADDRESS inside your Lens Caps ' !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
YO !!!! Pentax Pete is VERY HAPPY ! I LOST my PENTAX 6x7 Lens Cap at Warley Wildlife reserve during the trip I organised for members of Brentwood Photographic Club -- TODAY a letter arrived with a 'Hard Object' inside -- it was my LENS CAP found by 'James' of Shenfield near Brentwood Town Centre !! I Practice What I Preach ! I Tell Club members to 'Stick your NAME and ADDRESS inside your Lens Caps ' !

Sounds like good advice if you have vintage caps like that one.
Most of mine could be replaced for less than the cost of posting it back to me.

Generally when I loose one it eventually turns up in a pocket, or in an odd corner of one of my camera bags.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Uncommon Lens Caps Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:

I have just launched a range of 3D printed lens caps for some of the more uncommon lens mounts out there...

Hello,

I think this idea comes to everybody who has 3D printer at home and You are making a great work. I just want to say that some models of the lens caps are already freely available, e.g. 3D geometry for the Tamron Adaptall cap can be found here for free: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2383997

I've also made some designs and printed them for my private use due to the rarity of the original cap or to the current long delivery times from China. I also think that it makes more sence to buy cheap plastic rear caps in 10x bundle made by usual technology than to develop a new wheel again.

Below are several examples of my work: rear caps for Nikon F, Nikon Z and Pentacon Six, also a Minolta XM/XK viewfinder cover:

Regards, Maksim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, there is some potential for Mamiya RB7, RZ67, Pentax 67, Bronica ETR, Mamiya 645 as well as other medium formats.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Uncommon Lens Caps Reply with quote

Max78 wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:

I have just launched a range of 3D printed lens caps for some of the more uncommon lens mounts out there...

Hello,

I think this idea comes to everybody who has 3D printer at home and You are making a great work. I just want to say that some models of the lens caps are already freely available, e.g. 3D geometry for the Tamron Adaptall cap can be found here for free: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2383997

I've also made some designs and printed them for my private use due to the rarity of the original cap or to the current long delivery times from China. I also think that it makes more sence to buy cheap plastic rear caps in 10x bundle made by usual technology than to develop a new wheel again.

Below are several examples of my work: rear caps for Nikon F, Nikon Z and Pentacon Six, also a Minolta XM/XK viewfinder cover:

Regards, Maksim

Well so much for my bright idea!

Nice work on the flanges, Maksim.

I'm enjoying the challenge so I'm going to keep on making them from scratch for people without printers Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Simon, there is some potential for Mamiya RB7, RZ67, Pentax 67, Bronica ETR, Mamiya 645 as well as other medium formats.
Cheers
Tom

Looks like I'm going to need to buy some more lenses...

I'm finding that for a variety reasons, the fit can be inconsistent and therefore until I have have 100% confidence in tolerance difference between prints, I need to have a lens (or adapter) to test each cap before distribution. I have an ETR lens so I will get around to making one and incidentally, I view Bronica ETR lens caps as my favourite design and would have based my design philosophy on it if I could, however it does not translate to becoming a universal design.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On almost all my native/adapted/converted lenses I added 3D printed hoods that have an 58mm filter thread at the front side and generic 58mm Chinese caps with springs. On the other side Chinese generic EF or FE caps with (DIY) Velcron added that stick to the tapestry bottoms in my bags. Five lenses in the biggest bag; one on the camera, four fitted on the bottom caps, one bottom cap free. Lens exchange goes faster that way, front and rear caps fit all lenses. Mixing of EF/FE lenses is not happening that often but one EF lens on the MC-11 adapter might be in the FE lenses bag as the adapter has an FE mount as well.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst Dinkla

SOLITAIR SOLIDAIR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rolling out Glow In The Dark as an option across the range.

Since my last update I've added four versions of Contax/Kiev/Nikon S caps, EXA caps are now compatible with all RE Topcors as well as EXA based Mamiya Prismat lenses and I've increased the depth of the Tamron caps so that they are compatible with lenses such as the 17mm f/3.5.

"Nik-S" and "Con" script is available on demand for the CK caps.

Finally, my caps are now available as USA made and sold through From Ben Couto in MA https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/coutocameracompany

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, Praktica Bayonet lenses just went live.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Glow In The Dark

BTW, I don't know if it's a common knowledge or not, but a lot of vintage lenses have markings done in UV-glow paint.
Drag your box of vintage lenses to the night club, everyone! It looks cool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
It's come to my attention that my EXA caps are too shallow for some RE Topcor lenses such as the Topcor 58/1.4, so I'm going to make a deeper cap to accommodate them and I'm hopeful that the design will also work with my Mamiya Prismat Canon OM 50/1.9 lens that uses another variant of the EXA mount.

Unfortunately the Tamron caps are too shallow for 17/3.5 with protruding rear element. Iirc other Tamron have protruding rear elements, such as 24mm and the 2X TC. However I do like the shallower caps on my 70-210mm and 500mm. Still interested in cap for 17/3.5 Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:

Unfortunately the Tamron caps are too shallow for 17/3.5 with protruding rear element. Iirc other Tamron have protruding rear elements, such as 24mm and the 2X TC. However I do like the shallower caps on my 70-210mm and 500mm. Still interested in cap for 17/3.5 Smile

I've fixed the Tamron caps and replaced them for a couple of customers, are you one of the customers I've replaced the caps already or are you in need of replacements?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:

I've fixed the Tamron caps and replaced them for a couple of customers, are you one of the customers I've replaced the caps already or are you in need of replacements?

I'm okay thanks. I can use what I've got. I'll simply buy a new tall one for the wide angle.

Edit: On the web site I can't find where to buy the new taller version. Maybe you can help with that?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:

I'm okay thanks. I can use what I've got. I'll simply buy a new tall one for the wide angle.

Edit: On the web site I can't find where to buy the new taller version. Maybe you can help with that?

I've gone down the one size fits all route, in the same way as I've done with the EXA caps. I was a bit disappointed to abandon the "slimline" Tamron caps as they looked great! I'll look to reintroducing them in the same way as I've done with the Contax/Kiev/Nikon S outer bayonet caps which are available in three depths.

Please leave me a note with your order and I'll drop a Tunnock's Wafer Bar in the Jiffy bag.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@visualopsins

I've just noticed that you are in CA, and I now have a US partner that prints my caps in MA, so that would be a more cost effective option for you, (but you won't get a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/coutocameracompany/Lens-Caps-and-Body-Caps/_i.html?_storecat=31273515018

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Cheers
Tom

I've managed to buy a sensibly priced Pentax 67 telecoverter so I will be able to make Pentax 67 lens and body caps soon. Please drop me a private message with your address and I'll send you one of each for evaluation when I've made them.