Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scratched 2.8 Xenotar testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Scratched 2.8 Xenotar testing Reply with quote

Some years ago I was given a 1956-59 ROLLEIFLEX 2.8 E2 XENOTAR by a widow lady whose late husband had got kit off a Press Photographer -- the taking lens had bad scratches, the bottom latch pin was missing, the winder was stiff, the meter did not work , there was a Light Leak -- so I finally got it repaired -- he made a new very small pin for bottom latch plate, got the meter working lubed it and kit all works now ! I found a roll of outdated Kodak GPF C41 film in fridge with no wrapping so no exact 'date' -- I rated it at 50 ASA and went out in town with Rollei in dull light . I took a small series of tests with the scratched XENOTAR at full aperture and one at f5.6 -- results were amazing ! Film scanned very light ' soft and blue so I just did a colour correction and used 'Curves' to bring contrast back to how subjects looked at the time as near as possible and a small amount of 'Un-Sharp Masking' for the 'Digital Scan'

f2.8 XENOTAR at FULL APERTURE

f2.8 XENOTAR at f5.6

f2.8 XENOTAR at full aperture

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really happy that your story has a happy ending.

My 80/2.8 Xenotar, in Compur and not from a TLR, has the much desired "cleaned with coarse sandpaper front and rear" look and is unusable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me! Congrats Pete!