Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon F50 and pre-ai 50/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Nikon F50 and pre-ai 50/1.4 Reply with quote

Anyone tried if it fits?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AI lenses have a long cutout at the rear of the aperture ring which pushes the AI switch on the camera into position, and on older cameras it couples with the metering. Non AI lenses don't have this and if mounted could press the AI coupler. Potentially causing damage.

I have tried with 4 of my pre AI. One has no impact on the AI switch but 3 others press on it and make it difficult to change aperture.

If you mount the lens set on its minimum aperture in theory you only need to set the aperture in the camera, but the AI switch will be in the wrong position.

My advice - Dont do it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F50 doesn't have an ai-switch but there is a minimum aperture switch opposite where ai swithch usually is.

I think some pre-ai can be fitted but don't know exactly which lenses have so thin aperture ring that fits between the mount and the switch?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page says no. https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility