Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need advise regarding Tominon "copy" lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Need advise regarding Tominon "copy" lens Reply with quote

I bought making best offer Tominon 4.5/135 for kind of macro "research". Practically I bought it because Tomioka manufacturer.
Click here to see on Ebay. I don't have any experience regarding conversion this kind of lens and value of it. Seller accepted my first offer - 50% of price buy it now. But declined twice when I offered 25% price of Buy it now for other one.Click here to see on Ebay Lens is made by Century Optics which is division of Schneider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tominon has m40 screw.
Conversion to exakta AND m39 is easy if you get an old ihagee extension tube.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for those who own an old set of Ihagee extension tubes. Does yours adapt also to M39 screw mount? My question comes from an observation of shots in the net I've looked through. It seems to me that not all Ihagee extension tubes have a couple of screw turns in the underneath the mount. What is your experience in the matter?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need advise regarding Tominon "copy" lens Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these in 2018. Here are some results:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1533919/#14390383

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advise regarding Tominon "copy" lens Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:

This is the item which I bought. It can be screwed into a M42 for tilt/shift bellows or a focus helical or whatever.

Rise (UK) 42-40mm
42-40mm Step Down Ring Filter Adapter for Camera
eBay $5 plus shipping

Thank you, Blazer0ne, for the ingenious solution! I've got a 4.5/50 version. Its flange distance is really short, and I am not too much into macro and wished to have the lens for all distances. So a sort and cheap M42-M40 ring sounds really good. Already bought one, following your suggestion. For the moment it's even cheaaper, 4 euros + free postage. It's totally merciful as compared to a RafCamera adapter for 45 euro!

Your #3 shot is a transpotter from Tron? Nice details for a 3D printed item. And great lens for sure.

E6filmuser, I remember this set of your macro shots of the microworld, that I appreciated then. Good to remember you made it with a Tominon!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manually pushing a Tominon 4.5/50 against an M42 helical adapter gives these results on Sony APS-C:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the set of lenses, I have not used the 135mm much since it is too long for most of the work I do. I have used 105mm occasionally, and have built many systems featuring the 75mm. The 50mm is of particular high quality, and I have had excellent results with it. Unfortunately it's a little too short FL to make good use across full range of coin sizes, so I usually only recommend it for Cents (19mm) or smaller coins. The 35mm and 17mm are "sleepers" and are strong performers at medium magnifications. Robert OToole tested them and published his results here:

35mm
https://www.closeuphotography.com/tominon-35mm

17mm
https://www.closeuphotography.com/tominon-17mm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote