Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MD lens to M42 mount ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: MD lens to M42 mount ? Reply with quote

Is there any adapter available for minolta MD lens to M42 mount? This is a for a macro setup so I am not interested in the correct flange distance, I'd like it as "slim" as possible. There exists such a thing for Nikon F made by Pixco. (Click here to see on Ebay) but as far as I can tell they do not make one for Minolta. (There are many in the opposite direction M42 to MD).

Ultimately I want to create an MD-Fuji FX adapter but "slimmer" than the "correct" MD-FX. (Say 20mm vs 25.8 which is the correct flange distance difference).

Many thanks!

-- Red

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome redivivus

A Minolta MD to Fuji Fx adapter will retain infinity focus. Add extension tube for macro/ close focus. .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: MD lens to M42 mount ? Reply with quote

redivivus wrote:
Is there any adapter available for minolta MD lens to M42 mount? This is a for a macro setup so I am not interested in the correct flange distance, I'd like it as "slim" as possible. There exists such a thing for Nikon F made by Pixco.

Nikon's flange distance is longer than M42's, Minolta's is shorter. That's why F to M42 adapter is possible and MD to M42 is not (at least without additional optical elements, but I can't find any adapter even with the glass).

redivivus wrote:
Ultimately I want to create an MD-Fuji FX adapter but "slimmer" than the "correct" MD-FX. (Say 20mm vs 25.8 which is the correct flange distance difference).

Kipon makes MD to FX adapter with built-in helicoid for macro, but you won't like the price.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be possible to couple together via BPM bellows mounts. These are available for all the standard SLR mounts and there is a coupler available too (which directly connects any of the mount adapter rings).

Price on these aren't cheap often £25 per adapter & £50 for the coupler, but with patience you can get them cheaper. The adapters often work out cheaper if brought with a bellows - I got both Nikon & M42 sets that way (IIRC for £40 each pair with other extras as well as the bellows thrown in).
I haven't checked but I'd imagine the total added flange length from coupling & two adapters would be around 20mm

One of the most comprehensive sources is http://www.macrobellows.com/shop_mounts.php (I've not used them personally for anything other than info) but they currently have the coupler (http://www.macrobellows.com/shop_accessories.php at the bottom) as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novoflex has made adapters MD > LTM39 (LEIMIN) in the past.
Mostly used for adaptation MD to universal Novoflex bellows. Not very slim though.
With a M39 to M42 you are on the spot, I think.
But I have no idea if it is easy to find that adapter ring.

Last edited by Minolfan on Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make MD->M42 adapter by yourself easily.

Just get an MD->4/3 adapter and a 42->62mm step up ring,
then glue together. This adapter is about 7mm thick or slightly less.

Or, get MD->LM(l39) adapter and a 42->58 step up ring,
then replace LM mount metal to this step up ring. Thickness is ~15mm+.
(This MD->L39 adapter has replacable L39 mount metal attached by screws.)

Me has the above first DIY adapter but no photo, will up it tomorrow
if you wish. Btw this DIY adapter does not have mount stopper since
MD->4/3 adapter did not have it unfortunately. (4/3 not micro 4/3)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for their ideas! I will explore and report back.

To be clear I know that a shorter adapter will focus beyond infinity. The point is that I want to use the Minolta bellows and their film/slide holder to digitize some old slides and negatives using my FUJI APS-C and a Minolta 50mm Macro lens. (BTW, the Minolta complete set is very well made & can be found quite cheaply in beautiful condition). At the minimum extension possible and with a full frame camera the 50mm gives a magnification ratio (M) slightly less than 1, thus with a bit of extension it all works perfectly with the slide holder. However for the Fuji sensor I need an M less than 23.5/36 = 0.653 so that the negative will not be cropped. So my idea is to use an adapter to FX that is shorter than normal.

Just for the record, the whole set-up works (barely) with the 58mm Rokkor and the regular MD-FX adapter.

-Red

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redivivus wrote:
Thanks everyone for their ideas! I will explore and report back.

To be clear I know that a shorter adapter will focus beyond infinity. The point is that I want to use the Minolta bellows and their film/slide holder to digitize some old slides and negatives using my FUJI APS-C and a Minolta 50mm Macro lens. (BTW, the Minolta complete set is very well made & can be found quite cheaply in beautiful condition). At the minimum extension possible and with a full frame camera the 50mm gives a magnification ratio (M) slightly less than 1, thus with a bit of extension it all works perfectly with the slide holder. However for the Fuji sensor I need an M less than 23.5/36 = 0.653 so that the negative will not be cropped. So my idea is to use an adapter to FX that is shorter than normal.

Just for the record, the whole set-up works (barely) with the 58mm Rokkor and the regular MD-FX adapter.

-Red

I suspect getting some other bellows might prove a cheaper answer. I got both my BPM sets for around £40, one of which had the transparency holder included (the other had alternative lens mounts). With these I can fit a M42 camera mount to one end & a minolta lens mount at the other...
Short M42 adapters seem to be cheap & plentyful for mirrorless cameras. Smile

Last edited by DConvert on Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: MD lens to M42 mount ? Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: MD lens to M42 mount ? Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:

Do you mean to write Fujifilm X-mount which uses XF lenses?

Yes indeed. I think that FX is the usual shorthand that adapter makers use Fujifilm X-Mount. For instance I use this one https://www.kentfaith.com/KF06.060_minolta-md-to-fuji-x-mount-adapter which is marked MD-FX. There are similar one made by Fotodiox, Pixco, Fotga, etc. and I think they all follow the same convention: Lens code is first, mount code is second. Novoflex uses different codes and in reverse order and charge 10x for the privilege! For instance "leimin" is for a Minolta lens to a Leica mount and costs $135. (BTW, just kidding -- Novoflex stuff is indeed superb).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: MD lens to M42 mount ? Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: MD lens to M42 mount ? Reply with quote

redivivus wrote:
Is there any adapter available for minolta MD lens to M42 mount? This is a for a macro setup so I am not interested in the correct flange distance, I'd like it as "slim" as possible. There exists such a thing for Nikon F made by Pixco. (Click here to see on Ebay) but as far as I can tell they do not make one for Minolta. (There are many in the opposite direction M42 to MD).

Many thanks!

-- Red

Well, many (less collectible, not high-end) film cameras are really cheap.
In fact, a good camera with Minolta bayonet might cost even less than an adapter...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: MD lens to M42 mount ? Reply with quote

redivivus wrote:

Many thanks!

-- Red

Minolta MD to M42 adapters do exist, at least MD to M42x0.75 (T-mount) aka reverse T mount adapters do. They are scarce though.

Another option may be extension rings. I don't own any Fuji FX gear, but cheap Chinese manual extension rings appear to come in 3 sizes, 60mm threaded ones (Canon EF), 57mm threaded ones (Sony E, Nikon F, Minolta MD) and 52mm threaded ones (micro 4/3). My guess is Fuji FX ones will be 57mm as well. Combining a Minolta set and a Fuji one would get you a fairly slim MD-FX adapter. The ring with the female bayonet mount in these sets is relatively thick though. You can save several mms by using a specific original Minolta ring instead. If you get the Minolta SR extension ring set II you get a very slim ring with the female bayonet mount, marked EL. The threads on these rings are also 57mm, but 1.0 pitch instead of the 0.75 pitch from the Chinese extension tubes. They fit together well enough though. Make sure to get the version SR II, the version SR I or just SR has different threads, 45mm.

The quality of the chinese bayonet mounts is not as great as the original Minolta ones.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: MD lens to M42 mount ? Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
redivivus wrote:

Many thanks!

-- Red

Minolta MD to M42 adapters do exist, at least MD to M42x0.75 (T-mount) aka reverse T mount adapters do. They are scarce though.

Another option may be extension rings. I don't own any Fuji FX gear, but cheap Chinese manual extension rings appear to come in 3 sizes, 60mm threaded ones (Canon EF), 57mm threaded ones (Sony E, Nikon F, Minolta MD) and 52mm threaded ones (micro 4/3). My guess is Fuji FX ones will be 57mm as well. Combining a Minolta set and a Fuji one would get you a fairly slim MD-FX adapter. The ring with the female bayonet mount in these sets is relatively thick though. You can save several mms by using a specific original Minolta ring instead. If you get the Minolta SR extension ring set II you get a very slim ring with the female bayonet mount, marked EL. The threads on these rings are also 57mm, but 1.0 pitch instead of the 0.75 pitch from the Chinese extension tubes. They fit together well enough though. Make sure to get the version SR II, the version SR I or just SR has different threads, 45mm.

The quality of the chinese bayonet mounts is not as great as the original Minolta ones.

Please don't use 'M42' for 'T mount' many e-bay sellers do this making it hard to track down stepping rings etc that are M42x1 (the mount commonly known as M42) If the pitch is not specifically quoted M42 should mean M42x1, T2 can be used for M42x0,75 so both can be simply identified without typing excessive characters.
T2 adapters are available for more mounts than M42 due to their great flange distance, they can be provided for all the standard SLR, rangefinder & mirrorless mounts.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MD lens to M42 mount ? Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
dickb wrote:

Please don't use 'M42' for 'T mount' many e-bay sellers do this making it hard to track down stepping rings etc that are M42x1 (the mount commonly known as M42) If the pitch is not specifically quoted M42 should mean M42x1, T2 can be used for M42x0,75 so both can be simply identified without typing excessive characters.
T2 adapters are available for more mounts than M42 due to their great flange distance, they can be provided for all the standard SLR, rangefinder & mirrorless mounts.

I specifically say that Minolta MD to M42x0.75 adapters exist, and Minolta MD to M42x1.0 may as well. Novoflex made a LeiMin adapter, Minolta MD to L39 so they may well have made a CoMin, Minolta MD to M42x1.0 (I haven't encountered any of those up till now though). Anyway, the knowledge that M42x0.75 adapters exist is useful to the original poster as those would serve his stated purpose of making an MD-FX adapter, even though the mismatched threads would suboptimal. Also for the pedantics among us - I include myself here - I should say Minolta SR mount instead of MD for these adapters as they lack the aperture couplings that would make them M(eter)D(ouble).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
I specifically say that Minolta MD to M42x0.75 adapters exist, and Minolta MD to M42x1.0 may as well.

I found one on Ebay.de: marked "M-SR" from Japan!
No brand on it. M42x1.0 indeed!
Only 8mm extension. Originally manufactured, no DIY product. Nice surprise.

So they have been made in the past. But I have not the faintest idea how scarce they are. Never found one before.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
dickb wrote:
I specifically say that Minolta MD to M42x0.75 adapters exist, and Minolta MD to M42x1.0 may as well.

I found one on Ebay.de: marked "M-SR" from Japan!
No brand on it. M42x1.0 indeed!
Only 8mm extension. Originally manufactured, no DIY product. Nice surprise.

So they have been made in the past. But I have not the faintest idea how scarce they are. Never found one before.

My Minolta to M42x0.75 adapter is also 8mm thick and labelled M-SR and Japan. Are you sure yours is M42x1.0? My understanding is that these adapters were made for T mount bellows (Vivitar made some of those f. i.) to accept Minolta SR lenses. I've got a Nikon F to M42x0.75 as well. As far as I can tell they are fairly scarce.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Are you sure yours is M42x1.0? My understanding is that these adapters were made for T mount bellows

At closer inspection I must say you are right. I took a rear lenscap to check the M42 and it fitted just right, But when I take a real M42x1.0 adapter it doesn't screw to the end. So it must be M42x0.75.
No big problem for what I want to use it for, but it can make a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
I've got a Nikon F to M42x0.75 as well. As far as I can tell they are fairly scarce.

I have a recent Nikon > M42x1.0 from Pixco. That is not M42x0.75!
Extension is 10mm of that one.