Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rubber bands replacement list
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Rubber bands replacement list Reply with quote

Many of us have already encountered the problem of lenses with rubbers that need to be replaced.

So I think that it would be nice to have a list of replacement rubbers.
And with those I mean rubbers with the same structure, pattern and diameter-size that can be taken from other cheap donor-lenses.

These lenses should be easy to find and cheap. So the best thing to do is to look for broken, damaged, fungus-infested or otherwise worthless lenses that have those rubbers that you need.
Most of the time these will be zoom-lenses, which also have the big advantage that they often have very big rubbers (in length that is).

So I hope that many will share their experience in this matter and that we will come to a long list of cheap replacement rubbers.

These are a few to start:

- Super Multi Coated Takumar 100mm f/4 macro------ Replacement: Tamron Adaptall-2 80-210mm f/3.8-4 (model 103A)

- Kilfitt lenses (all kinds) these lenses have a very fine ribbed rubber------ Replacement: Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 (cheapest possible donor).

- Vivitar Series 1 135mm f/2.3 (this is a difficult one because the focusring is conical shaped)----- Replacement: Vivitar macro focussing zoom 75-205mm f/3.8

Length is not a problem, just cut them to size.
And if you have a rubber that doesn't fit anymore, because it has stretched out during time, just put it in a pre-heated oven at 250 degrees (Celcius) for a few minutes and it will slightly shrink.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Chinon 24mm f/2.5 that lacks it's focus-rubber.

The same type of rubber is used on Olympus Zuiko lenses and Porst 55mm f/1.2 lenses (just to name a few).

The pattern is fine and diagonal. Like this:

So, my logical question is: What would the cheapest-possible lens that has this type of rubber?
The diameter should be 63 mm or slightly less.

Edit: I just noticed that there is a very small difference between the rubberband of that Porst lens and the ones on a Zuiko lens.
On the Porst the diamond shapes are in the horizontal direction, while on the Olympus Zuiko and also on the Chinon they are in the vertical direction.
Although I am rather sure that in reality nobody will notice this difference we should look for the exact same pattern and direction in our donor-rubber, I guess.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I approached this in the wrong way.
Maybe it would have been better if I made some pictures of all the different types of rubber bands with a list of all possible cheap substitutes?

I thought it would be a good idea to start such a list of 'cheap replacement rubbers' but seen the fact there's nobody reacting, I might have been mistaken.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:
Maybe I approached this in the wrong way.
Maybe it would have been better if I made some pictures of all the different types of rubber bands with a list of all possible cheap substitutes?

I thought it would be a good idea to start such a list of 'cheap replacement rubbers' but seen the fact there's nobody reacting, I might have been mistaken.

No, Lucse, it's not a mistake to try. This is certainly a niche subject, but I applaud your effort.
Even if you don't get much feedback, just posting this topic is helpful as it will inform some of us about the possibility of replacing rubber grips.

Regarding the rubber for your Chinon 24mm f/2.5 or other specific lenses, it might help to include the minimum length / height needed as well as the diameter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
No, Lucse, it's not a mistake to try. This is certainly a niche subject, but I applaud your effort.
Even if you don't get much feedback, just posting this topic is helpful as it will inform some of us about the possibility of replacing rubber grips.

Regarding the rubber for your Chinon 24mm f/2.5 or other specific lenses, it might help to include the minimum length / height needed as well as the diameter.

Thanks for your reply. You are right about the measurements of that rubber for the Chinon 24mm f/2.5.
It has to be a rubber with a hight of 1cm. Bigger is not a problem of course, as it can be cut to size.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced a rubber grip with leather before now.