Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which travel tripod would you recommend?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Which travel tripod would you recommend? Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a new travel tripod, something in the weight range of 1.5kg/3lbs.
There are so many on the market nowadays it's hard to know where to start. One I have my eye on is the Vanguard VEO 2 235AB. Does anyone have any experience with this one? Any other recommendations would be gratefully received.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Innorel RT40C for over two years now.
Bought it from the official AliExpress store for around $100.
Carbon fiber, 1.4kg, folds to 40cm, unfolds to 164cm. Much better build than popular QZSD tripods.
D-ring on the quick release plate screw - extremely convenient, though quite rare even on expensive tripods for some obscure reasons.
Aftersale service is great too - I had broken one of the leg latches (my fault - excessive force) six months ago, contacted the store and they have sent me a new set of three latches for $5.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy with my Manfrotto MKBFRA4-BH Befree tripod and using it for hiking and motobike excoursions already since several years.
I really like the Manfrotto quick release system hence I only use Manfrotto tripods.
Specs can be seen here: https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/befree-advanced-aluminum-travel-tripod-twist-ball-head-mkbfrta4bk-bh/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thank you both for your input. The Innorel brand I can't find here in NI, the Manfrotto brand I know well in that I've owned a ART075 and ART055 over the years. 20-30 years ago I used to carry the 075 with me, probably the cause of my shoulder and back problems nowadays. Even the 055 I find too heavy to carry far and therefore usually end up taking my monopod instead.
Thomas, the newer updated version of your tripod is perfect for my needs albeit more than I am able to spend atm. The Vanguard I mentioned seems to have very similar spec to the Manfrotto, has excellent user reviews online from professional photographers and is about £50 cheaper. Rightly or wrongly, I've ordered the Vanguard. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Gentlemen, thank you both for your input. The Innorel brand I can't find here in NI, the Manfrotto brand I know well in that I've owned a ART075 and ART055 over the years. 20-30 years ago I used to carry the 075 with me, probably the cause of my shoulder and back problems nowadays. Even the 055 I find too heavy to carry far and therefore usually end up taking my monopod instead.
Thomas, the newer updated version of your tripod is perfect for my needs albeit more than I am able to spend atm. The Vanguard I mentioned seems to have very similar spec to the Manfrotto, has excellent user reviews online from professional photographers and is about £50 cheaper. Rightly or wrongly, I've ordered the Vanguard. Time will tell.

I have the 055 as well, quite heavy but very stable. Really great for studio work. That's the reason why I bougt the little travel version and a Manfrotto monopod as well.
Anyway, wish you all the best with your choice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only need a tripod as a firm platform for remote release or so, but not for eypiece viewing, or to elevate the camera, the compact and solid collapsible Leica tablestand with a Leitz or Novoflex ball head should do.

p.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Manfrotto system. Firm, locks solid and will last for years. If you dont mind spending decent cash one of their Carbon Fibre range will be best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I should have listened to Thomas. When the Vanguard arrived it was damaged so I promptly returned it. I'm not suggesting it was an inferior tripod but I then ordered the following Manfrotto:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07839ZHPB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow, a great tripod, first class quality and very stable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a good travel tripod as well. So I've been following some links. I came across a Manfroto Element Traveler that sells in the USA for about $100. I'm wondering how this one might stack up against others. Anyone have experience with this model?

Apparently the Element Traveler comes in Big and Small versions. Here's a link to a B&H listing for a small one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1296070-REG/manfrotto_mkeles5bl_bh_element_small_aluminum_traveler.html

The "Big" one doesn't collapse down quite as far and sells for about $30 more.

I'll be buying this tripod for transport on my Motorcycle. The Small one I should be able to fit inside one of my bike's hard bags, whereas the Big one I'd have to strap down to the luggage carrier. Not that big of a deal. Currently, I strap down my rather large and heavy Bogen tripod down to the luggage carrier on my bike, but having a smaller one would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If weight is your greatest concern and you don't already have one, there are a lot of compact carbon fiber tripods on the market which might fit your desires.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Sirui T-1205X, it is the best value you can get on its price range. I just saw it online and read a review about it. Reading reviews helped me a lot, just like when I pick my Charles P Rogers mattress https://bestmattressesreviews.org/charles-p-rogers-mattress-reviews/. I have bought it online as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfrotto Befree Live. I know it's a video tripod but I prefer it over ball head ones. Very light and compact, also comes in carbon fiber version afaik but at the time I was buying it I was on a budget.