Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Swapping lenses or block between helios 44-2 and 44m?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Swapping lenses or block between helios 44-2 and 44m? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if it would be possible to either swap the entire lens block of an helios 44-2 with that of a 44m to have a beter bokeh lens?

Or will any single lens of the 44-2 fit inside the lens block of a 44m (all lenses swap)?

I have read that the scheme was recalculated between the 44-2 and the M series but I do not know if this is true or rumor.

I have already a 44m-4 and a 44m-7 in pristine conditions but they are too perfect for soft portraits, they being superb but just for other kind of photos.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odds are they won't fit, I tried between 2 different 44-2's and the elements had different profiles to the non optical surfaces.
If you can find a nice KMZ 44-2 I'd get that and use it as is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick check with a caliper suggests the 44M has a slightly larger diameter front element than the 44-2, though that could be simply down to the retaining collar being wider on the 44-2.

The trick with these lenses seems to be to find one that hasn't been "fiddled" with Wink If at all possible, find an "original owner from new" camera in a yard sale, charity shop or similar.

I currently own a Valday 44-2 and a KMZ 44M, both removed from unloved old cameras, I see very little difference in actual use between them, though the ergonomics of the 44M, with it's a/m switch, makes it easier to use (on a Pentax DSLR). I owned a couple of 44x's back in the '70's that were bought "new on camera" and don't recall having any complaints about any of them. Admittedly a sample of 4-5 isn't big in the wider scheme of things Wink