Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Swapping lenses or block between helios 44-2 and 44m?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Swapping lenses or block between helios 44-2 and 44m? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if it would be possible to either swap the entire lens block of an helios 44-2 with that of a 44m to have a beter bokeh lens?

Or will any single lens of the 44-2 fit inside the lens block of a 44m (all lenses swap)?

I have read that the scheme was recalculated between the 44-2 and the M series but I do not know if this is true or rumor.

I have already a 44m-4 and a 44m-7 in pristine conditions but they are too perfect for soft portraits, they being superb but just for other kind of photos.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odds are they won't fit, I tried between 2 different 44-2's and the elements had different profiles to the non optical surfaces.
If you can find a nice KMZ 44-2 I'd get that and use it as is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick check with a caliper suggests the 44M has a slightly larger diameter front element than the 44-2, though that could be simply down to the retaining collar being wider on the 44-2.

The trick with these lenses seems to be to find one that hasn't been "fiddled" with Wink If at all possible, find an "original owner from new" camera in a yard sale, charity shop or similar.

I currently own a Valday 44-2 and a KMZ 44M, both removed from unloved old cameras, I see very little difference in actual use between them, though the ergonomics of the 44M, with it's a/m switch, makes it easier to use (on a Pentax DSLR). I owned a couple of 44x's back in the '70's that were bought "new on camera" and don't recall having any complaints about any of them. Admittedly a sample of 4-5 isn't big in the wider scheme of things Wink