Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIKKOR lenses, Old FP4+ and Old Rodinal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: NIKKOR lenses, Old FP4+ and Old Rodinal Reply with quote

I was given a bulk tin of 1992 dated Ilford FP4+ so I tried in in my Wife's NIKON FE that she never uses now and my Very Old Brown RODINAL at 1+25
50mm f1.8 NIKKOR at f11

50mm f1.8 NIKKOR at full aperture f1.8

105mm f2.5 NIKKOR at full aperture f2.5 in dull light

105mm f2.5 NIKKOR at f4

28mm f3.5 NIKKOR at full aperture f3.5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all!
Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This takes me back. Wink

FP-4 and the original agfa rodinal were a potent combination for me.
I found 1:50 a bit easier to control contrast with.

Just bought a bottle of "Blazinol" which was recommended as nearest replacement.

From what I've read, browned Rodinal needs no adjustment at all. (You may want to run it through a strainer funnel near the end of the bottle. It tends to "floculate") I do know that shelf life is incredibly long in un-opened bottles. I have had tightly re-sealed opened bottles of the original last at least 5 years, if not more.

I have a few things to do around here to get dust under control before I can even consider loading reels.

I am quite un-impressed with the digital scans of b&w I get back from the lab. All are out of focus to begin with, and I really don't want to get into the rest of it here...

I really should go look around for some Pan-F...

I get away with a lot with my 28 f.3.5 nikkor Mr. Green

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

FP-4 and the original agfa rodinal were a potent combination for me.
I found 1:50 a bit easier to control contrast with.

Just bought a bottle of "Blazinol" which was recommended as nearest replacement.

That is probably same as Compard R09?

I've heard from several users that this doesn't age as well as original?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious........did you shoot it at ISO125?

I have two bottles of Rodinal. One opened and barely used and the other sealed from the factory. Both have some crystal formation but so far no issues requiring any adjustment.

Nice shots BTW.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told this is the equivalent of the "R" class developers~ both R-9 and R-09.

18 min seems a little high going by somewhat jaded memory. This stock strength could differ a bit from the original Agfa preparation.
I seem to remember 14 min for FP-4 shot at 125 at 1:50. YMMV. My original notes were lost in a house fire in the late 90's.
Do a net search for "massive dev chart". There's a lot of info there.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1