Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 50mm F2 AI/S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 50mm F2 AI/S Reply with quote

Just got a cheap Nikkor 50mm F2. This may be the sharpest lens I've run across. Images are surprisingly good even wide open.

Just a snapshot of the cat with my new lens. Click image for the larger view.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sample, clearly shows this lens power. I thought also one of the best 50mm Nikkor lens. Congrats for your new gem!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little lens Attila, I think I'll actually use this one a lot..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me a Tessar construction lens or similar than Micro Nikkor 50mm I guess sharpness came from this fact. I sold mine just days ago, because I can't keep all of my lenses. It was hard to decide to let it go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, every time I say I'm getting rid of one, I get 2 more instead.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Nikon 50mm f/2 lens, and it's one of my favorites. I love that fact that since the front element is set so far back, that it's like having a built-in lens hood on all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glockman99 wrote:
I also have a Nikon 50mm f/2 lens, and it's one of my favorites. I love that fact that since the front element is set so far back, that it's like having a built-in lens hood on all the time.

Which is another similarity with the Micro-Nikkor 55m f/2.8 ....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two very underestimated lenses.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Looks to me a Tessar construction lens or similar than Micro Nikkor 50mm I guess sharpness came from this fact. I sold mine just days ago, because I can't keep all of my lenses. It was hard to decide to let it go.

This is the lens construction of the earlier models:

and the later ones

from this site

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem to have a lot in common with the 55mm micros. I have 6 of the 55mm micros but only one of the 50mm f2.. Played with it some more over the weekend. It's quickly turning into a favorite.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 50mm F2 AI/S Reply with quote

Arlon wrote:
Just got a cheap Nikkor 50mm F2. This may be the sharpest lens I've run across. Images are surprisingly good even wide open.

Just a snapshot of the cat with my new lens. Click image for the larger view.

I just got one of these (S/N 3562235) and I have to agree. I'm stunned at how sharp it is. Mine has seen some very heavy usage and is worn out but it still works quite well.

I'll post some samples tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too, a great lens but it's a forgotten gem, overshadowed by the Helios and Planar and every 50mm prime in between.

Unlike the Helios that everyone raves about, this lens performs spectacularly on full frame. In my opinion crop sensors are what make the Russians great.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
This lens performs spectacularly on full frame.

Great lens indeed. Just don't use it for architecture... Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really ? Distortion ?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 nikkor lenses: the 24mm and 55mm macro and both of them are just so sharp. Wish that they didn't turn the wrong way though.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
I have 2 nikkor lenses: the 24mm and 55mm macro and both of them are just so sharp. Wish that they didn't turn the wrong way though.

It must be a nice lens. I have a much earlier version Nikkor H Auto and I love it. The only thing I don't like is the minimum focus distance of 60 cm. Later versions focus down to 40cm.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

How sharp?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I was focussing on the winter morning dew dripping off the stamen onto the pink petals.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i know what my next lens will be.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikonshooter wrote:
Well i know what my next lens will be.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's pre-AI and AI version of the lens, both 6 element in 4 groups (so not a Tessar design). But I don't think there's an AI-S version.

I should use mine more.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more samples.

This lens is stunning!

Here's a crop at full resolution. Sorry about how I cropped this but thanks to this website I have started selling my photographs and I need to be careful with what I display on the internet.

Yes it's in mid flight!

Attila you have a top site! Cool Laughing Shocked

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another crop. Yes it's a metallic body on the fly. It's minuscule and hovers like a humming bird.

Tiny camouflaged spiders wait on the petals for the perfect moment to pounce. (Yes I even nabbed a few shots of these spiders with the Minolta Rokkor MC 50mm f1.4.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar picture here... But it is not a Nikon lens and I had extension tube, I think 25 something... It is taken with one of my two favorite 50mm lenses. Laughing

and one slightly overexposed, but I like it...