Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

So we are at the end of 2019,
Did you meet all of your Legacy lens goals?
Any special lenses you want tell us about?
Any lenses that didn't live up to their rep?

Greatest achievement
Biggest disappointment
Any Regrets?

Best lens you purchased this year.
Worst lens.
Rarest lens.

Last but not least. Did you stay on budget.

Just meant to be a fun thread. Answer any or all questions. Up to you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Greatest achievement
Biggest disappointment
Any Regrets?

Worst lens.
Rarest lens.

Nice. I had thought to start a similar thread but your is first.

Greatest achievement: $120 for a mint set of Tokina 90mm f/2.5 with 1:1 adapter, including original lens caps in a leather case. Missing only the original lens hood.
Biggest regret: chose to bid on a $169 Buy-It-Now set of Topcor lenses including 58mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/3.5
Minor regret: chose to bid on a $7xx Buy-It-Now Vivitar 450mm f/4.5
Best lens: too many to list Smile
Disappointment: Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Greatest achievement
Biggest disappointment
Any Regrets?

Worst lens.
Rarest lens.

Best lens you purchased this year. - Not purchased by me but given to me as a gift - Canon 1.4/50 LTM (Japanese Summilux)
Purchased by me CZJ Prakticar 1.4/50
Both outstanding lenses

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goals.
None set, but the two lenses I wanted the most this year, I got. Minolta MDiib 24mm f2.8, and the Minolta MDiii 50mm f1.4.

Special lenses.
Besides the two memtioned above. I added the Minolta MDi 50mm f1.4,
MCii 58mm f1.4, and The MC 28mm f2.

Greatest achievement.
Big thanks goes out to Luis for this one. He gave me his entire Miranda collection, Cameras, finders, adapters, and 15 lenses.

I would of been years getting my Miranda collection to the point it is at now.

Special lenses out of this collection.
The 25mm, 50mm f1.4 8 element, 105mm, and 180mm, and more.

Biggest disappointment.

Not being able to shoot enough. Still dealing with multiple back injuries.
Hope to do better in 2020.

Regrets, bought a Miranda 200mm lens, slightly over paid, and its junk. Aperture lever is broke.
Hopefully be able to fix it, but doubtful.
. Ofcourse I could of returned it, but I bought it on ebay from a charity. So decided to keep it and take the loss. It was near Christmas.

The regret wasn't the money lost, but having to find another one in fully working order.
It would of pretty much completed my Miranda collection.

Worst lens.
Didn't buy any bad performers. That I can think of.

Rarest lens.

Not super rare but one of the hardest Minolta Celtic lenses to find.

Minolta MD Celtic 35mm f2.8 second version. This is the one with the 49mm filter thread.

Budget.

As I've mentioned before my monthly budget is $30. I pretty well kept to that. Sometimes shipping took me over.

For December I threw out the budget, for my Birthday and Christmas.
That was the Minolta 24mm and Minolta Mdiii 50mm f1.4.

Yes the Minolta MC 28mm f2 was on budget. One of the nicest examples on ebay, but it had some seperation. $25 shipped.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many. Project Panagor. Collecting panagor primes. I now have 2 28mm 2.8 and 2.5 A 135mm a 200mm. So the easy ones are covered.
A lot of Tamron adaptall lenses and one adapt-a-matic. Zooms and primes (90mm f2.5 is probably the nicest one)
70/75-150mm zooms from Pentax/Vivitar/Panagor(sucks)/Tamron (2)

Many zooms in the 70/80 200/210 range
Many 200mm lenses (With a kind of rare Vivitar series one F3.0)
some extra 135mm lenses (with a zebra czj 135mm 3.5 and a Rare Oray-Higon(rare name, not so rare lens))
quite a few 28/35mm lenses (With Flektogon 35mm 2.4 and Vivitar 28mm 2.0 close focussing and a rare surveillance xy 35mm lens)
a number of nifty fifties Amongst which a Zenitar-m 50mm 1.7 and a Pancolar 50mm 1.8

Best prime of the year Probably the Zenitar-m 50 1.7
Best zoom. The SMC Pentax 45-125mm F4. Amazing lens

Honourable mention my first mirror lens: 3M-5A 500mm F8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

May I ask why?
Looking at one right now, thinking of buying it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt had any goals, but this was by far the year in which i bought the most lenses.

MOG Domiron 50 f2, but it s way to rare and expansive to be a popular lens.

Carl Zeiss 85 f1.4 Planar C/Y mount, it looks like i can t get the same results, the same look to the images that this lens is famous for (same for the 50 f1.4).

Greatest achievement

Learned to CLA a few new brands, for example the Icarex line of lenses both in the Icarex and M42 mount versions like the Carl Zeiss Ultron 50 f1.8.

Biggest disappointment

The shift from online forums to Facebook groups. Not a bad thing per se, the problem is how the groups on FB are managed.

Any Regrets?

None.

CZJ Biotar 75 f1.5

Worst lens.

There is no thing such as a bad lens for me, it s a challenge to overcome any weakness in a creative way.

Rarest lens.

MOG Primoplan 75 f1.9

Of course not Smile

Nice topic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2019 Goal: Stop buying legacy lenses: Utter and total failure!... plus ca change...

Special lenses:
Finally paid the price for a Minolta rf 250 mm f 5.6 (700£) ouch! Best purchase of the year so no regrets except hurts the purse
Minolta APO 100-500 mm f 8 (much cheaper than above, rarity and getting a low price were the drivers for buying it...) as CA is much better corrected than any non rf lens I own and quality superb... by my standards.... Heavy lens though...
Minolta MD R 17 mm f4... still need to get used to it
How did I forget to mention the MD 28 mm f2.0 latest version...

Still reluctant to big brother Facebook until they abide by protection laws so hope forum will survive as I don't trust MZ (the sooner FB is broken up and hugely fined until law compliant, the better)

Happy new year

Last edited by Antoine on Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:11 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achievement: managed to snag a Contax 35mm 1.4 for $675.

Regret: None really.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acheivement- Canon lenses. I picked up a Canon 50/2.2 for under $100, beautiful condition cosmetically and glass is perfect. Then added a Canon 50/2.8 for under $80, same condition...

Canon 50mm F2.2 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr
This is the 89th lens made.

Then picked up a Canon 50/1.2 with clean glass, beautiful condition- on a 1st version Canon VT deluxe. Picked the set up for about what I sold my 50/1.2 with "less-than-perfect" glass some 10 years ago. Prices are 1/2 of what they were almost 20 years ago.

Canon 50/1.2, with home-made hood by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Biggest surprise of the year- 7Artisans 75mm F1.25, this lens is very good. Took a while to get the calibration perfect on my M9, but worth the effort.

7Artisans 75/1.25, Wide-Open by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

One with the 75/1.25, wide-open on the M9, ISO2500, 1/60th. It was Dark- "Disco-Lighting".

Regrets... that I have a hard time passing up bargains! Picked up a second Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 in Leica mount for under $200, Mint- condition. Told myself I'll keep a deep yellow filter on it for the M Monochrom, and the other lens will keep the Skylight on it for the M9. SO- spent $200 to not have to swap filters...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

Most interesting finds:
Meyer Optik Görlitz Domiron 50mm f/2 for 10 EUR, but with fungus. Works great no regrets.
Rodenstock Retina Heligon 50mm f/1.9
Diaplan 100mm 2.8.
Trioplan 50mm 2.9
RE GN Topcor 50mm f/1.4
Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2
Minolta MD Rokkor 35mm 2.8
Universar 55mm f/2.8 for the bokeh.
Domiplan 50mm f/2.8 Q1
Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 that is functional.
Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 7 elements.

Regrets.
Not pressing buy on 50 EUR Primoplan 58mm f/1.9, old style.
Bidding too low on Vivitar S1 90mm f/2.5, Revuenon 55mm 1.4 MC, MC Rokkor 35mm 1.8, MD Zoom 75-150mm f/4
Getting a Fujinon 50mm f/1.4, image quality not up to standard.
Getting a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 8 elements with fungus that was supposed to have clear optics and not be allowed to get a refund.
But I got a partial refund and was able to sell it, with fungus warning of course.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

May I ask why?
Looking at one right now, thinking of buying it.

I got the AI, K and non-AI copies. The AI doesn't seem to get me good color. I shoot the same theme with
my other no name 100/105mm and their color looks pleasing otherwise. Certainly putting photos side by side,
the Nikkor 105mm still wins in terms of sharpness and contrast, but by a small margin. The non-AI gives huge
CA at a certain condition. Maybe it is the ways it is but at a random data point, that CA is too much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:

CZJ Biotar 75 f1.5

MOG Primoplan 75 f1.9

Those must be very good lenses for portraits under the right light conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

Goal 2019: No additional photo equipment.

Actual purchases 2019:

Minolta MD 17mm/F4
Minolta MD 28mm/F2.8
Minolta MD 35mm/F1.8
Minolta MD 100mm/F2.5
All in their latest and best versions.

Minolta AF 24-105mm/F3.5-4.5 D
Sony HVL-MT24AM twin flash set

No regrets, all over budget.

Wish you all the best for 2020!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
I got the AI, K and non-AI copies. The AI doesn't seem to get me good color. I shoot the same theme with
my other no name 100/105mm and their color looks pleasing otherwise. Certainly putting photos side by side,
the Nikkor 105mm still wins in terms of sharpness and contrast, but by a small margin. The non-AI gives huge
CA at a certain condition. Maybe it is the ways it is but at a random data point, that CA is too much.

OK, I see.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Goal 2019: No additional photo equipment.

Actual purchases 2019:

Minolta MD 17mm/F4
Minolta MD 28mm/F2.8
Minolta MD 35mm/F1.8
Minolta MD 100mm/F2.5
All in their latest and best versions.

Minolta AF 24-105mm/F3.5-4.5 D
Sony HVL-MT24AM twin flash set

No regrets, all over budget.

Wish you all the best for 2020!

Cheers,

I'm still missing the 17mm f4. Not sure if that will be on the list for 2020 or 2021, but I'm definitely getting one.
There
is actually one on ebay for $59.99 shipped. Must of looked at the listing atleast 20 times. The temptation is so great, but it's missing the front element.
Chances of finding one are slim. But.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty happy with what I got in 2019. I bought a lot of 135s.

My biggest disappointment was an Auto Rikenon 135 2.8. I wasn't expecting that much, but it's a rather poor performer, which is inexcusable for a 135.

The best 135 I acquired was an AiS NIkkor 135 2.8. Even with a scratched up front element it's a superb performer.

My -favorite- 135 from this year was a Steinheil Culminar 135 4.5 in LTM. Very fun, with a very vintage look to the pictures it makes.

In other focal lengths, I was pleased with my acquisitions of an old black 9cm Leica Elmar f/4, and a 50mm Nikkor-H.C Auto f/2. Both excellent.

My number one makes-me-happy lens for the year though is a 35mm Zeiss Distagon ZS f/2. The ZS is the M42 version. It was brand new, still in the shrink wrap. I don't know if that counts as vintage, since they stopped making it only a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a whole show on this subject!

https://www.classiclensespodcast.com/e/99-lenses-of-the-year/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I'm still missing the 17mm f4. Not sure if that will be on the list for 2020 or 2021, but I'm definitely getting one.
There is actually one on ebay for $59.99 shipped. Must of looked at the listing atleast 20 times. The temptation is so great, but it's missing the front element.

To find a good copy for little money is almost impossible. I've paid EUR 300,- for mine, but it's in a like new condition incl. box and orig. caps.
I wish you good luck to find a good and affordable copy as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

Did you meet all of your Legacy lens goals? No, not even close.
Any special lenses you want tell us about? Yashica 55-1.8 for Pentamatic to go with my 35/2.8 & 100/2.8.
Any lenses that didn't live up to their rep? Not really, I only bought a couple lenses this year.

Greatest achievement making it to 2020
Biggest disappointment not finding the few lenses I really want at a decent price.
Any Regrets? Lots.

Best lens you purchased this year. None.
Worst lens. None
Rarest lens. Yashica 50/2.8 preset M42

No, I had no lens budget, so each was over and above.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
walter g wrote:
There is actually one on ebay for $59.99 shipped. Must of looked at the listing atleast 20 times. The temptation is so great, but it's missing the front element.

To find a good copy for little money is almost impossible. I've paid EUR 300,- for mine, but it's in a like new condition incl. box and orig. caps.
I wish you good luck to find a good and affordable copy as well.

Yup, this is one lens I probably will have to pay the going rate on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
tomasg wrote:

CZJ Biotar 75 f1.5

MOG Primoplan 75 f1.9

Those must be very good lenses for portraits under the right light conditions.

Yes indeed they are, two examples that show the "effect" they are known for, but the lenses are much more than this and have different nuances in their rendering depending on how they are used. I didn t get much time to use them, it will be fun to explore them in the future.

Primoplan

Biotar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main scores this sorry last year were the vivitar (Lester Dine) 105mm macro in PKA mount, the adaptall SP 80-200mm 30A and the adaptall 3rd gen 300mm f2.8 360B. The latter was my most expensive MF lens ever. I only see a 360B once every couple of years if that so I felt obliged to meet the price on that one. I also scored an elicar 90mm macro in PKA mount, but that has proved to be not as good as the equivalent vivitar (komine) 90mm in M42 mount it replaced. Now I'm sorry I sold that...
But my biggest score was a sigma 150-500mm but that doesn't count here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 Legacy Lenses A Year in Review Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Minolta 55/1.7 was the lens of the year for me. MD-III 100/2.5 was a close second.
walter g wrote:

Jupiter-8, Minolta 58/1.4, Helios 44-2.

walter g wrote:
Any Regrets?

Should've just shot more.
Buying into F1.4 fifties was not the best decision.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any lens acquisition goals for 2019. If I saw an item I was curious about or interested in, and the price was right, I bought it.

Significant purchases in 2019:

Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8 IF. I owned a copy of this lens back in the 80s. I loved it, but I also hated it for the amount of CA it produced. But under the right conditions, it was very nice. So, for this small excuse, I've sorta wanted to replace it. Picked up a used one with mint glass but more wear on the body than I care for for a good price. Using modern software I can tame its unruly CAs so now it's more fun to use.

Canon nFD 80-200mm f/4 two-ring zoom. This was always Canon's professional grade zoom in this range. The more popular 70-210mm f/4 push-pull zoom sold for substantially less. But these days, you can find them both used for cheap. I mean like dirt cheap. This zoom sold for over $300 from the NYC deep discounters back in the 80s. I bought mine, which is in solid Exc condition, for $20 off eBay. Amazing.

Soligor 85-300mm f/5 two-ring zoom. This is another lens I owned back in the 80s. I had mixed feelings about it back then. Wide open it was a bit softer than I liked, but sharpness was good stopped down. I ended up selling it and replacing with the Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5.4. But I've been curious about just how accurate my assessments were back then. So I decided to pick up another and give it a go once again. Paid $25 for it on eBay. It's also in solid Exc condition. I haven't taken it out yet and put it through its paces, but I will soon -- I hope.

Vivitar 85-205mm f/3.8 two-ring zoom (Made by Kiron) This old boat anchor came as the front body cap to a Minolta XD-11 I bought. I dunno what I'm gonna do with it. For what I can get for it on eBay, it's scarcely worth the trouble having to list it. If you want it, send me a PM. You pay shipping and it's yours.