Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Uncommon Lens Caps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Uncommon Lens Caps Reply with quote

Sorry for the shameless advertising, but the Corona virus is making things tough for me right now!

I have just launched a range of 3D printed lens caps for some of the more uncommon lens mounts out there, namely;

Exakta (EXA)
Hasselblad Xpan (XP)
Konica (AR)
Contax Kiev Inner Bayonet (CK) Soon to be renamed CKi
Rollei (QBM)
Miranda Bayonet
Pentacon Six (P6)

With more to come.

https://simonforsterphotographic.co.uk/collections/new-3d-printed-lens-caps and https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/itsfozzyphotography

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Simon.
Thank you for the heads up
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Great idea Simon.
Thank you for the heads up
Tom

Cheers Tom!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent initiative.

There is, however, a need for evaluating various lids that protect our valuable equipment, so I take on the task of initiating discussion.

Screw in Front lids always stay on, so do Alpas metal snap-on lids. Metal lids from Takumar and Helios have the advantage that making a small ding at one edge will help it stay on. The plastic squeeze-to-fit lids, however, might have been invented by company accountants in order to increase lens sales. I do not suspect Leitz of this, but in my experience the original Leica metal lids sit snugly while their "modern" lids are no better than those of purveyors of mediocre optical junk. Some plastic C\Y lids for Zeiss deserve honourable mention since they have about 1 cm stabilizing extension along the edge of the lens.

Original rear caps usually fit snugly, particularly the slightly soft plastic variety such as those for the Leica R and M lenses while my canon EF-mount caps have a nasty habit of falling off unless very tightly fitted.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely EXA design, those are really needed. May i suggest slightly lowering the price if raising the bought quantity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
Excellent initiative.

There is, however, a need for evaluating various lids that protect our valuable equipment, so I take on the task of initiating discussion.

Screw in Front lids always stay on, so do Alpas metal snap-on lids. Metal lids from Takumar and Helios have the advantage that making a small ding at one edge will help it stay on. The plastic squeeze-to-fit lids, however, might have been invented by company accountants in order to increase lens sales. I do not suspect Leitz of this, but in my experience the original Leica metal lids sit snugly while their "modern" lids are no better than those of purveyors of mediocre optical junk. Some plastic C\Y lids for Zeiss deserve honourable mention since they have about 1 cm stabilizing extension along the edge of the lens.

Original rear caps usually fit snugly, particularly the slightly soft plastic variety such as those for the Leica R and M lenses while my canon EF-mount caps have a nasty habit of falling off unless very tightly fitted.

p.

Thank you!

I cannot see me venturing into the slip-on front cap arena at the moment as the plant based plastic I use has very little flex and therefore only a slight difference in the diameter of the lens barrel would render such a cap too tight or too loose. There is the potential to look at more flexible printable materials, but as the market is well served with cheap clip-in caps, I doubt I would be able make a competitively priced product and I'm not sure it would have any real advantage over a clip in cap either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Lovely EXA design, those are really needed. May i suggest slightly lowering the price if raising the bought quantity.

Thank you!

I have differing multi-buy deals set up on my site and on eBay depending on quantity.

It's very early days in the pricing of these caps and I welcome your feedback. Like all things, a larger volume deserves a larger discount and secondly I value this community and the knowledge that it has given me.

Drop me a private message with how many caps you're interested in and I'll try and work something out with you (and anyone else for that matter).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These EXA ones might come handy since I got some which don't fit every lens very tight. I suspect the very hard plastic used and/or varying tolerance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron adaptall rear cap would be nice. I am now using mounts I can't use for that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Tamron adaptall rear cap would be nice. I am now using mounts I can't use for that.

I'll put it on the list.

The To Do list includes;

Olympus Pen
Fujica
Bronica ETR
Contarex
Tamron Adaptall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In return, how about some shameless advertising for MFLenses. I notice we are pointedly left out of any namechecks on your podcasts, whereas others have their existence repeated and repeated. Just an observation. The 'favours' appear to have been one-way as you drive your listeners to where you want them to go.

Regards.

And if it helps on ideas, if you can offer dkl base caps for around four, four quid fifty, you'll be competing with China. Now there's a target to go for Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
In return, how about some shameless advertising for MFLenses. I notice we are pointedly left out of any namechecks on your podcasts, whereas others have their existence repeated and repeated. Just an observation. The 'favours' appear to have been one-way as you drive your listeners to where you want them to go.

Regards.

And if it helps on ideas, if you can offer dkl base caps for around four, four quid fifty, you'll be competing with China. Now there's a target to go for Smile.

I'm not deliberately failing to mention MFLenses! I've stopped mentioning it regularly since I stopped making a regular podcast post in the forum due to what seemed to me to be a lack of interest, whereas the Facebook group for the Classic Lenses Podcast is very active.

There are some lovely metal DKL caps coming out of China at a good price, but I will make one at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I cannot see me venturing into the slip-on front cap arena at the moment as the plant based plastic I use has very little flex and therefore only a slight difference in the diameter of the lens barrel would render such a cap too tight or too loose. There is the potential to look at more flexible printable materials, but as the market is well served with cheap clip-in caps, I doubt I would be able make a competitively priced product and I'm not sure it would have any real advantage over a clip in cap either."

Sir,

I fully understand your commercial choices, but my intention was not to suggest changes, rather to ecourage comments on desirable lens covers and their availability.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have put the beta on this here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/adaptall-lens-caps-original-and-improvised.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
...I've stopped mentioning it regularly since I stopped making a regular podcast post in the forum ...

I asked for a namecheck in return for favours. The Large Format podcast self promotion was the last one on here. It's a shame you couldn't just say 'okay', or 'no'. Your contrived reply is a little insincere, no? You only namecheck places you regularly promote yourself on, do you? Well, MFLenses appears to be one of them by my standards. If you feel you don't promote regularly on here, by your standards, just don't mention MFLenses regularly. How about each time you promote yourself on the forum? That seems fair. And as MFLenses has 110,000 members, that's more than fair.

Whatever... Good luck with your lens caps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
" I cannot see me venturing into the slip-on front cap arena at the moment as the plant based plastic I use has very little flex and therefore only a slight difference in the diameter of the lens barrel would render such a cap too tight or too loose. There is the potential to look at more flexible printable materials, but as the market is well served with cheap clip-in caps, I doubt I would be able make a competitively priced product and I'm not sure it would have any real advantage over a clip in cap either."

Sir,

I fully understand your commercial choices, but my intention was not to suggest changes, rather to ecourage comments on desirable lens covers and their availability.

p.

I understood, I just felt like answering from a manufacturing perspective!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:
...I've stopped mentioning it regularly since I stopped making a regular podcast post in the forum ...

I asked for a namecheck in return for favours. The Large Format podcast self promotion was the last one on here. It's a shame you couldn't just say 'okay', or 'no'. Your contrived reply is a little insincere, no? You only namecheck places you regularly promote yourself on, do you? Well, MFLenses appears to be one of them by my standards. If you feel you don't promote regularly on here, by your standards, just don't mention MFLenses regularly. How about each time you promote yourself on the forum? That seems fair. And as MFLenses has 110,000 members, that's more than fair.

Whatever... Good luck with your lens caps.

I'm struggling to keep up with you here, if I've failed to name check you, I apologise, the only sure fire way that I mention anyone is when they write in via email. Please point me in the right direction to where I've let you down, and I will remedy it. As for the forum in general, I spend most of my time on Facebook where I find the format suits me better for general chat, as I said at the top of the thread, like many self employed people at the moment, I find myself facing financial difficulties and I need to use every avenue available to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:

I'm struggling to keep up with you here, if I've failed to name check you, I apologise, the only sure fire way that I mention anyone is when they write in via email. Please point me in the right direction to where I've let you down, and I will remedy it. As for the forum in general, I spend most of my time on Facebook where I find the format suits me better for general chat, as I said at the top of the thread, like many self employed people at the moment, I find myself facing financial difficulties and I need to use every avenue available to me.

I give up. Your feigning confusion, but not confused enough to use emotional blackmail leaves me thinking it honestly wasn't worth asking. I suspect you're not the only one who has lost their income, including me. If only my partner was still being paid, or I had parents to bail me, or family benefits coming in...How about you? It sounds like you are a special case here.

You posted a few hours ago, and there has already been 185 views of your advert from people who buy old lenses. As before, good luck with your lens caps. Hopefully your post will bear fruit for you. Good luck with your podcasts.

Signed: Those who must not be named Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the issue. Looks like ok caps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology accepted! Please consider becoming a Contributing Member...

I miss the podcast posts here. No FB.

I could use some rear caps like genuine Tamron Adaptall-2 rear cap. Not the Tamron ones for specific cameras; not the clear Adaptall(-1); the one for raw lens without adapter; takes place of a mount. My 60-300 had it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Apology accepted! Please consider becoming a Contributing Member...

I miss the podcast posts here. No FB.

I could use some rear caps like genuine Tamron Adaptall-2 rear cap. Not the Tamron ones for specific cameras; not the clear Adaptall(-1); the one for raw lens without adapter; takes place of a mount. My 60-300 had it.

$25 is heading to MFLenses towers as we speak.

On another note my designs keep evolving and improving, so if any members buy two or more caps from me, I'll throw in one of my older caps in for free. Just buy them through my website rather than through eBay and leave me a note referencing MFLenses.com

I'll keep this offer open ended and it won't be long before the free cap will be identical to the retail caps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:

On another note my designs keep evolving and improving, so if any members buy two or more caps from me, I'll throw in one of my older caps in for free. Just buy them through my website rather than through eBay and leave me a note referencing MFLenses.com

I'll keep this offer open ended and it won't be long before the free cap will be identical to the retail caps.

If you find a way of making dkl base caps competitive, I probably need half a dozen. I'm currently using the rubber feet off chair legs. Not pretty and only covers the glass. you could also have a think about Ihagee body caps. They go for stupid money used and I don't see China offering new.

Good luck with your endeavours.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:

If you find a way of making dkl base caps competitive, I probably need half a dozen. I'm currently using the rubber feet off chair legs. Not pretty and only covers the glass. you could also have a think about Ihagee body caps. They go for stupid money used and I don't see China offering new.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Tamron Adaptall will be next and I'm not sure I'll do DKL with excellent products like these available for just 10p more than one of mine; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Metal-Lens-Rear-Cap-for-DKL-Mount-Voigtlander-Retina-Schneider/232176236076?hash=item360ec8362c:g:LVcAAOSwJ7RYU5m5

I've had a few body cap suggestions and I'll take a look at them at some point. Body caps have there own set of challenges, but by the time I get there I should have enough tricks up my sleeve to overcome them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tamron Adaptall cap is now ready. It was quite a tricky design and it was not until I finished it did I actually examine an original Tamron cap, and my design differs considerably. I'm pleased to say it works very well and that it's the first cap I've made that specifically uses a lens mount location marker. My other caps are more generic and can be mounted in three points in rotation which is fine, but in time I will move the other caps over to the same system.

@D1N0 & marcusBMG Please drop me a PM and I'll send you both one for putting Tamron on my radar.

Next up are Contax Kiev Outer Bayonet (3 sizes I think? - deep for the J-12, semi-deep for the Orion-15 and slim for the J9 & 11) and Praktica B. I've also found an unloved Mamiya NC lens, so I'll do that one at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Happy Dog Tuzki with lens