Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina rmc 17 mm hood
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Tokina rmc 17 mm hood Reply with quote

This lens deserves a good hood. This is mine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. It looks very solid (and big).

Can you tell us how you made it?
I have such a lens myself, so I am very interested to know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:
Nice. It looks very solid (and big).

Can you tell us how you made it?
I have such a lens myself, so I am very interested to know.

Sure.

I bought a 82mm hood:

https://www.amazon.com/MonthSir-Universal-Aperture-Suitable-Caliber/dp/B07R13SKRK/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=82mm+hood&qid=1580928582&sr=8-8

A step up 67 82 mm ring

https://www.amazon.com/Sensei-67mm-Lens-Filter-Step-Up/dp/B00AE1M6NE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=6782mm+step+up+ring&qid=1580928828&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Adhesive black felt (ebay or amazon or better a local shop)

and I spent two hours trimming the hood to shape since it is basically adequate for a 28mm angle of view.

The result is quite good since the hood shape does not allow for any unwanted light which is good for contrast.

You must use a step up ring since using a 67mm hood necessitate to trim in the corners untill you reach the lens front threading to avoid vignetting which would break the hood in four pieces.

Adding felt is necessary because those cheap hoods reflect light like mirrors and are pretty useless by themselves.

Prior to that I used a reinforced paper hood adjusted to the body which was very efficient, small but fragile. And I rely very much on the hood to avoid contact with the glass.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the detailed description.

I will order some stuff and make one myself... now that I know how to do it Wink.